Poll regarding ball cleanliness

How do you maintain ball cleanliness?

• Total voters

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi. I thought I'd try a poll on something I was interested to find out.

I have two types of ball cleaners at home - a liquid wax, and a liquid cleaner (Aramith's cleaner). I use the mini buffer once in awhile, and not as often as I should. Based on comments in the past, I've avoided using the wax. I felt that it made the balls artificially slick, and others have noted how the wax rubs off and causes play to change quickly. I don't know how true this is.

Anyway, on the rare occasion I go out to the pool hall, the balls always seem to be waxed. Cue ball control is just so much more delicate, and often so much easier. Everything can be done with a lighter touch. Balls open up more easily on the break, and runouts are easier. Not that I'm running 1000 balls or anything, but it somehow seems almost like cheating, if that makes any sense.

So do you wax the balls, or just keep them clean? On the one hand it seems like cheating to use the wax because the balls open so much easier, but on the other hand if this is the normal ball treatment before tournaments, then this is what I should be practicing with.

Any comment?
thanks,
dwhite

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I made a ball cleaner at home and I use the aramith ball cleaner in it. If you do a back serch of my posts about ball cleaners I had pics of it there.

Gerry

Marop

14.1 - real pool
Silver Member
I use the Ballstar automatic cleaner after about every 6 to 8 hours of play. I play a lot of straight pool and this keeps the playing conditions really nice and consistant.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did I do that poll correctly? I see more replies but no results on the poll.

Poll or no poll, I wonder what others do out there as far as keeping balls waxed or just clean. I noticed that John Schmidt just posted that he cleans the balls between racks. It sounded like they use a wax from his description.

dwhite

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
None of the above. I use a polish and play with very clean polished balls. I don't use a wax... which puts a coating on the balls. A polish cleans and... well.. it um.. polishes. ;)

sygfrid

alaskador
Silver Member
Hmmmm, how do you define clean? Waxing the balls can also be considered cleaning them. Do you mean cleaning the balls by just wiping w/ cloth or by washing w/ soap?

It's always nice to have TV-shine balls, not only do you always get consistent rolls & ball reactions, it's also alluring to see your reflection on them :D Moreover, keeping your balls in this condition extends the life of your balls. The balls in Pool Halls aren't given a "loving" care as many of us do with our sets, so it's not advisable to do what they do.

I've tried detailing the balls using the 3-step detailing process used on cars:
Step 1: polish -reconditions & removes oxidation/pollutants
Step 2: Seal/glaze -fills in small scratches & gives deep, "candy wrapper" gloss
Step 3: Wax -provides sacrificial layer for steps 1-2
The balls run quite as well as with Aramith's Billiard Ball Cleaner, though it's more laborious with the 3-step process.

This is what I normally do:
I wash the balls w/ mild soap & water to get rid of chalks & other dirts, let them dry, apply Aramith's cleaner, then run them in the buffing machine to get that TV-shine. After the day's game, I wipe them with a microfiber cloth to keep them "clean". It's time for me to wash & polish my balls again when the balls have lost their luster & stubborn dirts/chalk marks are already noticeable:)

Jimmy M.

Insomniac
Silver Member
"I tend to play with balls that are a little dirty"

Yeah, well, the polish burns like hell. :eek:

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Marop said:
I use the Ballstar automatic cleaner after about every 6 to 8 hours of play. I play a lot of straight pool and this keeps the playing conditions really nice and consistant.

Beautiful pool room you have there! What do you use to clean the balls in the automatic cleaner?

dwhite

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JimS said:
None of the above. I use a polish and play with very clean polished balls. I don't use a wax... which puts a coating on the balls. A polish cleans and... well.. it um.. polishes. ;)

So is a polish actually a micro abrasive? When you are done cleaning are they super shiny, even without the wax?

I use the Aramith cleaner and it seems to take everything off, but doesn't leave the balls with a high luster. Of course I'm only using that little ball buffer that only does 3 balls at a time with a drill. I'm going to get a professional machine and do it right.

dwhite

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sygfrid said:
This is what I normally do:
I wash the balls w/ mild soap & water to get rid of chalks & other dirts, let them dry, apply Aramith's cleaner, then run them in the buffing machine to get that TV-shine. After the day's game, I wipe them with a microfiber cloth to keep them "clean". It's time for me to wash & polish my balls again when the balls have lost their luster & stubborn dirts/chalk marks are already noticeable:)

I have a few nicks in some of the balls. I've found that the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser does wonders for removing chalk/dirt from these nicks. It sounds like you can get the high lustre by using cleaner and a buffing machine, rather than from wax. Is that what you find?

dwhite

sygfrid

alaskador
Silver Member
qstroker said:
So is a polish actually a micro abrasive? When you are done cleaning are they super shiny, even without the wax?

I use the Aramith cleaner and it seems to take everything off, but doesn't leave the balls with a high luster. Of course I'm only using that little ball buffer that only does 3 balls at a time with a drill. I'm going to get a professional machine and do it right.

dwhite

I'm sure Aramith's cleaner is not abrasive or else the balls' gloss will easily fade even after a day's play. I've been using it for 2 years now, & my pro cups are still glossy even after a week's game.

Most of automotive polishes are not abrasive unless specified on the label. I recommend automotive products to be used in cleaning the balls since they are mild enough not to destroy the ball's finish & surface, and they get the job done.

I've tried using Mothers carnauba paste wax on my set yesterday. It feels as smooth as Aramith's Cleaner when applied & buffed. It also doesn't have that sticky feel. I also use this wax on my wrap-less cue since it has a urethane finish, and it also doesn't have a sticky feel though my hand gets sweaty :)

Here are the probable reasons why you don't get that tv-shine:
1) The balls are not the top of the line Pro-Cups or Centennials which have that hard surface that makes the balls shine longer

2) The buffer is not fast enough create friction to "melt" the polish and create a layer that looks like a clear candy-wrapper

With #1, it's easier to achieve the deep tv-gloss with an Aramith Cleaner if you have the hard ball surface. With any balls, you can only make them shine very close to their out-of-the-box condition since all balls develop scratches that can slightly dull the surface.

The ONLY PRODUCT that we have tried in our pool hall that brings a mirror gloss to almost any ball, even the old ones, when buffed on the machine is the GLO METAL POLISH which, I believe, is only available in the Philippines. The only problem with this product is that its formulation is too strong and a bit abrasive. Nevertheless, it brings the out-of-the-box condition on the balls: deep shine & great ball reaction.

Last edited:

sygfrid

alaskador
Silver Member
qstroker said:
It sounds like you can get the high lustre by using cleaner and a buffing machine, rather than from wax. Is that what you find?
dwhite

Actually yes. The concept of automotive detailing can be applied in maintaining the balls & cues.

Here is what is done in automotive detailing:
1. A polish removes oxidation, reconditions, and brings luster to the paint. A more abrasive polish removes the scratches on the paint's finish.

2. A sealer & glaze hides surface imperfections like swirl marks, minor scratches, etc.by filling them in. It also adds "depth" to the luster the polish has given

3. A wax seals & protects the previous two, and acts like a sacrificial layer that takes the bombardment of dirt & pollutants. It acts like our skin w/c sheds together with the dirt.

Over the years, thanks to the different marketing teams, these terms became confusing as the marketing people try to interchange them. That's why most of us think that WAX makes the paint SHINE, when in fact it's the POLISH that makes the car shine and the WAX protects that shine.

The problem with polish alone is that it'll lose its luster faster than with wax as it is EXPOSED to pollutants (eg. dirt). Moreover, the balls with wax are easier to clean with dry or damp cloth, making the interval of polishing & buffing the balls longer :)

Last edited:

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
I recently came across what I think is an excellent cleaner. Its motorcycle plastic windshield cleaner made by Eagle 1. I made a homemade ball cleaner and just spray a tad on the balls and let it run for a few minutes. They come out great with no film.

Marop

14.1 - real pool
Silver Member
qstroker said:
Beautiful pool room you have there! What do you use to clean the balls in the automatic cleaner?

dwhite

Ballstar sells the cleaner that should be used in the machine. It's a watery like, non-abbrasive cleaner that does not build up like wax. You just inject a small amount in the side of the machine and turn it on. Takes about a minute and a half and the balls look like thay came out of the box, no residue and extremely bright sheen.

I tried other polishes/cleaners and nothing worked as well.

Bill

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Marop said:
Ballstar sells the cleaner that should be used in the machine. It's a watery like, non-abbrasive cleaner that does not build up like wax. You just inject a small amount in the side of the machine and turn it on. Takes about a minute and a half and the balls look like thay came out of the box, no residue and extremely bright sheen.

I tried other polishes/cleaners and nothing worked as well.

Bill

I'm looking around for a good ball cleaner. It seems like the Ballstar is about the only one around. I want to look into a 16 ball cleaner first, though.

Does anybody know what they use at pro tournaments to clean the balls? By the way John Schmidt was talking, you'd think it was a wax. Maybe I have to post the question on the main forum to see if anyone really knows.

thanks,
dwhite

Marop

14.1 - real pool
Silver Member
qstroker said:
I'm looking around for a good ball cleaner. It seems like the Ballstar is about the only one around. I want to look into a 16 ball cleaner first, though.

Does anybody know what they use at pro tournaments to clean the balls? By the way John Schmidt was talking, you'd think it was a wax. Maybe I have to post the question on the main forum to see if anyone really knows.

thanks,
dwhite

John was using Aramith ball polish by hand at the DCC for the straight pool challange mainly because that was all that was available. He usually uses a amall amount of car wax such as Turtle wax applied by hand. Just before he played Thorsten at the World Championships last year he waxed the balls. Thorsten ran 174 and out on him.

JimS

Silver Member
Marop said:
John was using Aramith ball polish by hand at the DCC for the straight pool challange mainly because that was all that was available. He usually uses a amall amount of car wax such as Turtle wax applied by hand. Just before he played Thorsten at the World Championships last year he waxed the balls. Thorsten ran 174 and out on him.

So it's ok to use WAX on balls... not polish but WAX... a substance that puts a coating on the balls. I"m not arguing! I just am looking to do the right thing by my Centennials and I thank you guys for your input.

I've been using Dawn to clean and then Aramith Polish by hand. Still lookin for a good design for a homemade full-rack polishing machine.

Marop

14.1 - real pool
Silver Member
JimS said:
So it's ok to use WAX on balls... not polish but WAX... a substance that puts a coating on the balls. I"m not arguing! I just am looking to do the right thing by my Centennials and I thank you guys for your input.

I've been using Dawn to clean and then Aramith Polish by hand. Still lookin for a good design for a homemade full-rack polishing machine.

I don't recommend using wax at all. The wax builds up with each application. I waxed my Centennials for about 2 years before I realized how much build up there was, took about 4 hours to get all the wax off and then I put them in the Ballstar cleaner and they came out looking much better.

I have only used the the Ballstar cleaner on my Super Pro Aramith balls but the Aramith polish works very well. Keep doing your way until you get a machine...

Bill

sygfrid

alaskador
Silver Member
JimS said:

You'll never go wrong with Aramith's Ball Cleaner since it's made specifically for Phenolic Balls. Just use microfiber cloths so as not to scratch the balls:)

JimS

Silver Member
Marop said:
I don't recommend using wax at all. The wax builds up with each application. I waxed my Centennials for about 2 years before I realized how much build up there was, took about 4 hours to get all the wax off and then I put them in the Ballstar cleaner and they came out looking much better.

I have only used the the Ballstar cleaner on my Super Pro Aramith balls but the Aramith polish works very well. Keep doing your way until you get a machine...

Bill

That's kinda what I figured on. I don't want to use anything that "coats" the balls.

My balls get little spots on them that resemble water spots and they are very difficult to remove. Any ideas what those are and how to remove them. I suspect it's chalk almost embedded from cue ball collisions? So now that I say that outloud maybe Slip Stic cue cleaner or Quick Clean for cloth cleaning would work?

Still looking for a good home-made design for a 16 ball electric cleaner.