Scam on a pool table!

BAZARUS

alien in a strange land
Silver Member
You can not sell anything in a normal way today. This ****ing scammers will take on anything they can.
I'm still trying to sell my table and I have received several offers through email that looks like a scam to me. Check this out:

Goodday Voytek,

Thanks for the quick response towards my interest in your Pool table , I'm well pleased with the Negotiable price..ok.I did got the pictures,it really looks clean and fascinating indeed!.

Consecutively,for the means of payment am using money-order or cashier' s check ,co's it will turn out to real cash,so the money-order or cashier' s check will be Delivered to you Packagely by Courier service...at your Door-step,and for the shipping of the Diamond Professional 9ft Pool Table,I'll instruct my Shipper's to come and pick it up at your own comfortable time.And i do promise you that you will definitely enjoy doing business with me.

Furthermore,my Client is Residing in USA,he is owing me a Sum of money of $6,300 and,so he will be Issuing a money-order or cashier' s check of $6,300, you will be deducting your own money from it which is $2500, and you will be sending the remaining balance to my Shipper's address through Western Union Money transfer.

Moreso,let me have your Full name which the money-order or cashier' s check will be made payable to your mailing address where it will be sent to, including your Cell Phone Number or any Number that i will be able to reach you at given time.I hope this is stated to you Clearly and understanding, Stay Bless...

PS:I will want you to kindly put SOLD on the advert from the placing site..ok, or any interested buyer that mail you,just let th em know that it has been sold...ok,so for doing that i will be willing to compensate you with $50,so your total deduction will be:$2,550.

Sincerely,

Jimmy....
Hello Voytek,
My name is Paul Richardson,my client is interested in the purchase of your billiard table.Payment is to be made by a Certified UK
Cheque/bankers
draft and it will include EXCESS for the Clearing and Shipment.Your
seeking price was $2,500 which will be included in the payment sent to you as soon as you forward the details stated below.
The fact is that i have a very busy schedule and wont be able to come
and view the table, but i'd appreciate it if you'll send pictures as
my client would appreciate this, although he already
loves what he read on the advert and he says he wants to go for it. I will contact my lawyer to prepare a document as backup for the sale as soon as you provide the informations to arrange payment if you have any questions, feel free to contact me via-email or on this number #+447031847710, if its out of reach, try again later maybe i'm out of town due to my busy schedule, or just send me an email.
Please get back to me with this information to enhance payment.
1. Full Names :
2. Full Address(including city and postal code):
3. Tel No:
I will be looking forward to read from you via-email or you call me on
my
mobile number.
Yours faithfully,
Paul Richardson

U

Ummagumma

Johnny95610 said:
I have been sent that email before and I was selling a Gokart. I hat scammers

This is really prevalent on Craigslist also. I posted a bunch of stuff on there for sale, and 99% of the responses I received were scams.

In some of those scams, they won't even ask you to forward any money to any account (as all they want is the merchandise). So when you mail the merchandise and try to cash the forged money order, you're SOL.

Jimmy M.

Insomniac
Silver Member
It's absolutely a scam. A goofball that I work with actually fell for it while selling a sofa, had his funds froze, and is now on some sort of bank blacklist (I know there's a word for this, but I can't think of it right now).

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
The way this scam works is that they send you a counterfeit money order/cashiers check. Your bank will accept the deposit and even credit your account with available funds. Then when the cashiers check is later rejected by the "issuing" bank, your bank will come after you. If you have already sent 1/3 of it off via western union, you will be on the hook plus the bank will send the police to question you about the counterfeit check. Your in a world of trouble, out money, out a pool table and some scammer in Latvia is laughing his ass off.

stolz2

Kid Mack
Silver Member
Some one tried to do this exact scam on my friend selling his truck. The scammer gets your product and the extra money you sent him, or in this case his shipping guy.

Mack

BAZARUS

alien in a strange land
Silver Member
CaptiveBred said:
I just read this on craigslist the other day.

Interesting read...

LOL it was fun reading this. I was wondering if there is any chance to trace and catch those scammers. Perhaps through their IP or something, I don't know. Something should be done. If I'd be a milionaire I'd get an airplain ticket and fly to that adress in Nigeria and kill them all mother****ers!

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
English is in ....

I have received 3 times recently an email saying I have won
a UK lotto, with all kinds of proper english in the email, and
instructions for their financiers of the lottery to contact me.
Then, another email comes from the financier saying I had
won over 1,500,000 Euros, bada bada bada, BUT I have to
pay $3,150 to get the funds processed and released saying
I would be reimbursed for it when the total funds were
released. The financier was in a little English town outside
of a larger town. I looked the town up and it looked to be
about 15,000 in the town.

I don't know why, but it struck me it might be some European
scam artist trying to finance a new cue ..... lol

After I wrote them back, and told them what their mistakes
were and that I had their machine numbers and had turned
them into the Federal authorities, never heard from them
again.
was,

BAZARUS

alien in a strange land
Silver Member
Snapshot9 said:
I have received 3 times recently an email saying I have won
a UK lotto, with all kinds of proper english in the email, and
instructions for their financiers of the lottery to contact me.
Then, another email comes from the financier saying I had
won over 1,500,000 Euros, bada bada bada, BUT I have to
pay $3,150 to get the funds processed and released saying
I would be reimbursed for it when the total funds were
released. The financier was in a little English town outside
of a larger town. I looked the town up and it looked to be
about 15,000 in the town.

I don't know why, but it struck me it might be some European
scam artist trying to finance a new cue ..... lol

After I wrote them back, and told them what their mistakes
were and that I had their machine numbers and had turned
them into the Federal authorities, never heard from them
again.
was,

I had something simillar last year. It was saying that I won 500K, but I have to give them my bank account number and pay a processing fee of 2K.
I am wondering how those people can sleep at night.

cueball1950

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got a very similiar one last year and i played along until i told him that he did not have to mail/send me anything because i was going to be in europe and we could meet and take care of it in person and we could use cash instead. got a reply that that way was not acceptable because of security reasons. so i just told them that i was an american cop and that i was going to be in Scotland Yard for a week training and that it would be safe there to transact our business, then insisted it be done there. got a quick reply..."no longer interested".............just love to give them the run around and spoof and lead them on like that...................................mike

Hal

Beer Player
Silver Member
Just the grammar alone is reason enough not to do business with this person. A total stranger is going to give you $6,300, let you deduct your amount and then send the rest of the cash to a third person? Yeah. Right.

iacas

Drill Sergeant
Silver Member
Snapshot9 said:
After I wrote them back...
As with all Internet scames, please do yourself a favor and do not reply. Replying simply allows the sender to say "hey, a valid email address!" You'll simply get more spam if you reply to spam.

The only spam I'll ever "reply to" is valid spam - i.e. a mailing list a well-known company has put me on. For example, I used to fish a lot when I lived in South Florida. As such, I signed up for and received Bass Pro emails with coupons, etc. When I moved back to PA, I clicked on an "unsubscribe" button in one of the emails to unsubscribe.

But clicking "unsubscribe" in true spam (i.e. "penis enlarging pills!" or some company you've never heard of, etc.) is the same as "replying" - it marks your email address as being "active" or "valid." If you ever see a URL like http://url.com/unsubscribe.php?id=ualkj34623clkj3 then that "ualkj34623clkj3" may be a key for your email address.

FWIW, all of these ploys (the "we'll send you a lot of money, you send us a little) are similar to the Nigerian scam. They'll send you a check, you'll immediately send them a check for a tiny portion of the amount, and then their check will bounce 15 days later and you'll either be arrested, out the few grand you sent them, hit with penalties, or all three.

Read more about it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigerian_money_scam
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance_fee_fraud

The Lottery Scam is a derivative:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lottery_scam

BAZARUS

alien in a strange land
Silver Member
iacas said:
As with all Internet scames, please do yourself a favor and do not reply. Replying simply allows the sender to say "hey, a valid email address!" You'll simply get more spam if you reply to spam.

The only spam I'll ever "reply to" is valid spam - i.e. a mailing list a well-known company has put me on. For example, I used to fish a lot when I lived in South Florida. As such, I signed up for and received Bass Pro emails with coupons, etc. When I moved back to PA, I clicked on an "unsubscribe" button in one of the emails to unsubscribe.

But clicking "unsubscribe" in true spam (i.e. "penis enlarging pills!" or some company you've never heard of, etc.) is the same as "replying" - it marks your email address as being "active" or "valid." If you ever see a URL like http://url.com/unsubscribe.php?id=ualkj34623clkj3 then that "ualkj34623clkj3" may be a key for your email address.

FWIW, all of these ploys (the "we'll send you a lot of money, you send us a little) are similar to the Nigerian scam. They'll send you a check, you'll immediately send them a check for a tiny portion of the amount, and then their check will bounce 15 days later and you'll either be arrested, out the few grand you sent them, hit with penalties, or all three.

Read more about it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigerian_money_scam
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance_fee_fraud

The Lottery Scam is a derivative:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lottery_scam

I have created 1 email account especially for all kind of spam. I know that anything I'll get there is spam or scam, one way or other :D

kyle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a common scam usually from Nigeria, there was a local story of a guy who got burned selling snow tires. You'd think that a stranger trusting someone with an extra few thousand in change whould be suspicious, besides the fact that you've just shipped a set of winter tires to Africa.