GC I counter therapy?

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My Gold Crown I's score counters don't work that well. The biggest issue is that when turning one, the adjacent one turns, too.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks,

jv

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My Gold Crown I's score counters don't work that well. The biggest issue is that when turning one, the adjacent one turns, too.

Thanks,

jv
Yeah, use a pen and paper to keep score. ;) We NEVER used them growing up. They were always screwed up.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member

Thanks,

jv

Take them apart and clean everything. Might need to replace the felt "Washers". All the GC1's I have restored work properly :)

Trent from Toledo

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried to do a search, but I suppose I'm key word illiterate. I know there are threads on here about GC rail counter repair. It seems to me that I remember the major failure was the thin metal detent springs break and the number wheels free wheel. I've seen some folks post that they have had success with feeler gauge material, and also plastic that is springy (credit card like material). Anyway, good luck with the fix.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Take them apart and clean everything. Might need to replace the felt "Washers". All the GC1's I have restored work properly :)

Trent from Toledo

Thanks Trent. I've already purchased replacement springs. Where would I get the washers? i found them in the parts catalog you posted as part number 908-05-35, but I can't find them online.

JV

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Thanks Trent. I've already purchased replacement springs. Where would I get the washers? i found them in the parts catalog you posted as part number 908-05-35, but I can't find them online.

JV

Have you taken them apart? They might be salvageable. Ken Hash classicbilliards would be the only one I would think might have some. Might be able to make some of a comparable material? I am sure you will figure something out! Good Luck!

Trent

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JV

Are your felt washers still intact, or have they been devoured by the moth larvae?

If they are intact, do they still measure approximately 1/4" I.D. x 3/4" O.D x 1/4" thick?

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't taken them apart yet. They look almost new from the top.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I haven't taken them apart yet. They look almost new from the top.

Until you take them apart you wont know why both sides are turning. You might have luck by just a disassemble and good cleaning. Good idea buying the new springs.

Trent

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Until you take them apart you wont know why both sides are turning. You might have luck by just a disassemble and good cleaning. Good idea buying the new springs.

Trent

Yes. Is there a quick and easy way to get them out, without taking everything apart? Mine's a ball return model with the skirts installed.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes. Is there a quick and easy way to get them out, without taking everything apart? Mine's a ball return model with the skirts installed.

Have you looked under the rail? I would think the ball box assembly would need to be removed at the very least.

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
Suggested by Paul Schofield... Gold Crown Billiards, Erie PA

Go to the fastener drawers at any Lowes. A package of eight 1/2" nylon clamps cost $1.04. The SKU numbers are shown bellow in a picture. I did my entire poolroom for under $25. Make sure you get the 1/2". It is the only size that will work if the number is to lock in and center in the scoremarker window.

Cut the clamp as shown in the picture with a Dremel or a utility knife. If you make a mistake, don't worry about it. These clamps are cheap. When you go to set the screw, there is some play. Move the cut nylon piece backword or forward at the screw so that it sets properly on the wheel and the numbers center in the scoremarker window.

Good luck. This is just too easy. I did my tables three years ago. They work perfectly. There has been no fatigue in the nylon material. The tension is just right. They actually work better than the metal springs.

Attached Images
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=5060479&postcount=10

Shoot what you break.

Larry Hubbart was 87.5% right.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I finally removed the counters from the table today. This would have much easier had I know how they are supposed to be attached, and if they had been attached properly.

The correct screw is a 10-24, flat head cap screw, that takes a 1/8" Allen wrench. The left one was like that, the other had a couple of button-head screws. If the correct ones are there, you can reach through the holes in the top of the ball storage box with an Allen wrench and take the cap screws out, and then lift the counters out.

Once out, I saw that some of the counter wheels were stuck to the axle. There was only one felt washer on the two counters; there should have been four each.

I had to punch the axle out. The problem was that the axle had rusted, and the increased diameter, due to the rust, caused the wheels to bind.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Source for felt washers?

I need eight of the felt washers for the counters. Classic Billiards doesn't appear to have them. Anyone know a source?

Thanks,

jv

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mission Accomplished

I re-installed my score counters today. Thank you all, and especially user @slach, who provide the much needed and hard to find felt washers.

I didn't go "all the way" in my refurbishment, as I was anxious to get them reinstalled. I have started a write-up that I will share when I complete it.

What I haven't done is re-paint the numbers, and then wax the wheels to improve and preserve their looks.

I may also readdress the springs. I re-used the existing ones after straightening them out a bit. They are really a bit too stiff. I may bend them all back in a uniform way and see how that works.

Thanks again,

jv