Did it ever come into your mind to quit pool?

bobson_215

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi, I just want to know your experiences regarding this.
I'm quite a noob and because of that I say yeah.
And that's what I feel now.
Cheers.

Purdman

Banned
bobson_215 said:
Hi, I just want to know your experiences regarding this.
I'm quite a noob and because of that I say yeah.
And that's what I feel now.
Cheers.

Why in the hell would I want to do that. Let's see, Give up something that I love to do. Maybe I will get a divorce because my wife and I have a few harsh words with each other now and again. Chit, 32 years don't mean much especially when they were filled with LOVE. Yeah, that's what I will do!!! LOL
A great deal of people who quit, quit because they don't want to take the time to improve. No immideate gratification.:rolleyes:
Stick with it if you love it. Work on it if you want to improve. Do something else if you don't have a facination or passion for it. I am sure there are things you love to do. Do them my friend.
Peace, Purdman

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
I find myself taking time off without planning to. I just got back from an approximately 18 month hiatus where I walked around the Diamond and just looked at the 5 South West's on the wall and didn't play once. Don't know why....

Now I'm back into it and it's spring! In the spring I'm supposed to be getting interested in my hot rod. I've got my seasons mixed up again.

Don't know when the next lay-off will occur. Never know. So don't worry about quitting or not quitting, just do what feels like the right thing to do today.

Inzombiac

Silver Member
Pool has brought me way too much joy and WAY too much purpose to let it go. Even when I have a bad day, I just take a break and come back later. Its the first thing I think about when my mind is idle.

Plus I have goals of competing on a bigger scale than my bar. So in that sense, my dad always said, "You'll never get anything that you want in this world by quitting."

Something has to be said for perseverance. Stick with it and see what comes of it. If pool makes you happy, then play it.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I quit pool

I quit pool for years when I found other things that I liked even better that took all of my pool time away. Quitting because I was having problems or going through a slump never crossed my mind. I am anything but a natural talent playing pool. I lost at least seventy-five percent of my games for the first year. I might have broke even for the next six months or so. This was putting in many hours a week on a table without any lessons or the internet or a mentor. Having survived that period with a love of the game, rough spots in the road don't bother me.

Hu

bigpocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I been playing pool since I was 16. I am 28 now. Pool is all I think about usally.But lately I been thinking about quiting myself. I just cant seem to get into it much anymore. I realy been thinking about selling my cues. I been holding on a little bit still thoe. I almost quit last week, then I win a tounamnet and I seem to get my intrest back.I think the pool gods hate me lately.But it's getting warm out side and maybe it just time to take a break from pool for a few months and come back strong.I been talking about quiting a lot lately. But I no that I am at the pool hall 4 to 5 days a week and I just can't give pool up. I been at it just to long.There is nothing else to do.I have won my city MVP in pool leagues. Also took third in state 9 ball and 3rd in state Bca team event. So I look back on this stuff once and a while and think ok I not a complete loser. I have done pretty well in a few big tounaments. I think I never quit but I tell ya a good month break realy helps your focus and to help bring your love back to the game.:) :)

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Quit? Why???

IMO, if you have ever at some point enjoyed the game, that would be reason enough NOT to quit it altogether. That being said, I believe that there are people who throw themselves at the game so hard that they suffer from "burn-out" to a point of wanting to quit. They live & breathe, eat & sleep the game of pool. Then, they have a run of bad luck (or should I say bad rolls), or get to the point to where they're not seeing any improvement in their game, or start feeling the pressure of trying to squeeze every minute of spare time into the game. Then they begin to lose the zest and feel like quitting. The people in this case probably should just back off the game a little. No reason to quit a perfectly enjoyable pastime such as a nice, friendly game of pool every once in a while. Find another hobby to help take the pressure off of thinking that pool is the only thing going. Spend more time with family and friends. It will come back, this love of playing pool. I've been playing for 40 years now. Sometimes very frequently, sometimes weeks go by without me picking up a cue. I have other things going on in my life to fill the void. Pool is just ONE of the many enjoyable pastimes I've have going on. I've never once considered giving pool up. I just back-off and do other things. I'm probably gonna get blasted (Purdman, williebetmore, supergreenman for starters ;) ) for being sacrilegious about pool and not being a true lover of the game, but in reality just the opposite is true. I LOVE the game immensely. I just gotta do what works for me. You gotta do what works for YOU !!! Good luck, my friend !!!

Maniac

Last edited:

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i thought about quiting. my game hit a slump i met a girl it didn't work out, i hit the bottle(hard), my life got really complicated and i still can't remember like 4 months of my life. i lost all want to play pool. Then i got beat by some guy for some cheap sets and it completely relit my fire i want it so bad now i can taste it. i'm back to dreaming about rack after rack exploding and having nightmares about missed balls. i remember how much i love this game, i'll never quit!!

Big Perm

1pkt 14.1 8 Banks 9 10
Silver Member
Have quit twice.....

Learned to play when I was about 12, saved and bought my own table at 16 before I even considered getting a car......used my skills to make enough cash to get by in college.....would play games at local bars for $5 and $10 a game....paid for food, bills, and whatever....then, I got a real job, and rarely played....

A few years later, some buddies talked me into playing APA....it was fun, a reason to hang out with friends and have a beer in the middle of the week.....began to enjoy the game again.....after a couple of sessions, I was a 7 in 8-ball and it was hard to fit in points....after two years, almost everybody on the team was a 5+, and I never got to play, and rarely did the 6's, so we disbanded....

More years go by.....a couple of months ago, I decide to try APA again.....I can tell it's gonna take a while to get my stroke back, but there is no better feeling than being in the zone.....playing with a friend the other night, I had two break-n-runs in a row.....I know that's not a big deal for most people on here, and it didn't used to be a real big deal for me.....but, it's been a loooong time, and it felt damn good :D

I may quit again, but pool is the mistress you always come back to....

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
My health made me have to give up many things that I loved to do. Partying, pot, working as a nurse, to name a few, but the thing I miss most is pool. I've been with my wife 40 years and love her dearly, I was with pool over 50. It was a big part of my life. Johnnyt

McKinneyMiner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I about 9 years ago I thought about quitting pool for about 5 minutes and then I did quit... for 8 years.

I had a bad gambling experience where things got quite a bit more violent than normal and I just decided that I didn't need/want that so I quit.

I never even picked up a stick until someone in my office innocently asked me if I played pool and would I be willing to "audition" for their league team. I thought it might be fun.

I ended up the top player in the league (admittedly a B league), moved to the Masters Division and have been playing semi-regularly ever since.

I think the time away has actually made me a better player. But, for some reason, I don't play as well.

Yes, that makes sense if you think about it.

mrpool06

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've come close to quitting a couple of times in the past 2 years, mostly because of my poor play in league.

I took a little time off, & realized I loved the game, thats what brought me back. And, most importantly, I changed my attitude: I came to realize that I have my limitations in pool, not to get upset when I lose a game or make a bad shot (everyone loses & makes bad shots), and not to be so serious.

I also take summers off for the most part, so when league starts back up again, I'm itching to play again. :)

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
I cant think of one good player I know that hasnt quit a bunch of times. You reach a certain level in this game....maybe B+ and higher and its very difficult to quit forever. They always come back....

AZE

DeucesCracked Instructor
Silver Member
^^ lost to him in a weekly 9-ball tournament. It really made me consider breaking my cue over my own head and quitting for life...

JUST KIDDING DAVE!.. you play great, I'll probably still stink when I'm Flavio's age.

mr2_serious

BRUTE FORCE BABY!
Silver Member
I don't think I can ever quit pool. It's like action chess for me. I have however thought about taking a month or two break from it.

Jimmy M.

Insomniac
Silver Member
I'm with Jay on this one. I've quit so many times I lost count. I only really quit once and it lasted for 5 years with a couple months in between where I did play, but I have said "I quit" too many times to count. This game will make you mental and, as a result, I think that all players, at one time or another, have supposedly "quit".

thinman

Registered
About once a year I'll begin to play bad...missing easy shots, etc. I'll quit for a month or so. When I start back it seems like I just play better.