SJM at the 2020 Derby City Classic

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
Lol! Probably JRB. Entertaining action was pretty sparse this year.
Definitely. He was in big and entertaining action just not on streamed tables except for the Alex match. I watched some in person and he seems like a good natured dude who likes to play 1p for high stakes. And I'm a neophyte where one pocket is concerned, but I thought he made some pretty sporty shots here and there. He made some bad ones too, but enough good ones to make it pretty tough action for those wanting his cash.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Personally, I don't find pool entertaining just because the bet is high. Even if two players play for $1,000,000 a rack, if they aren't displaying top level pool, what's entertaining about it?

In contrast, when Filler played JL Chang a 10-ball race to 17 during the 2019 Derby for a few thousand, the room was absolutely packed and many viewers watched through the door while standing. Now that's entertainment!

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Personally, I don't find pool entertaining just because the bet is high. Even if two players play for $1,000,000 a rack, if they aren't displaying top level pool, what's entertaining about it?

In contrast, when Filler played JL Chang a 10-ball race to 17 during the 2019 Derby for a few thousand, the room was absolutely packed and many viewers watched through the door while standing. Now that's entertainment!

couldn't agree more. watched alex play that other big betting poker dude some year ago giving 20-5 or something like that, and it was an utter waste of time

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member

There is a fascination with big money changing hands. Who would have thought auctions would ever be hot TV shows? In theory big money brings big pressure. I have never played a single round of golf, have zero interest in it. However, I will watch the final few holes of a masters or a made for TV skins game that has rolled over until the hole might be worth sixty to a hundred thousand. I watch the olympics too when I have TV. Might be the one time in their lives for most competitors. Who will rise to pressure? Who will prove false under pressure?

Money doesn't particularly fascinate me. Even with my love of classic cars I have never made it through an auction show. Pressure and how people handle it, that is endlessly fascinating to me.

Hu

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On reflection, I think the Filipinos were a very big part of the story at the Derby. Orcullo, of course, won the bank pool. Still, just as impressive is that three of the last four in the Bigfoot were Filipino (Corteza, Bustamante and Pagulayan) and three of the last four in the nine ball were Filipino (Corteza, Aranas, and Orcullo). That's very impressive.
Thanks for your report. I like that it is like a BTS (Behind the Scenes) coverage of the going ons that those of us watching the stream don't see..

Yes it would be fair to say Filipinos dominated this year -5 of top 10 money winners
DCC Money Won ($’000)
Orcollo 41
Thorpe 32
Corteza 26
Shaw 21
Filler 15
Pagulayan 9
Evan Lunda 9
Justin Hall 8
Bustamante 8
Gomez 7

Money doesn't particularly fascinate me. Even with my love of classic cars I have never made it through an auction show. Pressure and how people handle it, that is endlessly fascinating to me.

Hu

There is only so much pressure that money can give.
Ever watch the movie "13 Tzameti" ? Now that is real pressure. :thumbup:

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're a legend, Stu. I can't watch a video on YOUTUBE of a great match without seeing Stu front and center with a giant smile on his face. #legend

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're a legend, Stu. I can't watch a video on YOUTUBE of a great match without seeing Stu front and center with a giant smile on his face. #legend

Go back to the early 2000's and you wont be able to see me. I was there front row but I always sat on the side.

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A loss by Dennis and an Aranas win would have given Thorpe the Master of the Table as Dennis would have finished fourth in that scenario. Dennis lost to Filler, but Corteza's win over Aranas decided the all-around.[/QUOTE]

There was a lot of discussion about the Philippine Cartel influencing the Master of the Table outcome. Not that it happened, but a lot of discussion.......

Buster Jones

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A loss by Dennis and an Aranas win would have given Thorpe the Master of the Table as Dennis would have finished fourth in that scenario. Dennis lost to Filler, but Corteza's win over Aranas decided the all-around.

There was a lot of discussion about the Philippine Cartel influencing the Master of the Table outcome. Not that it happened, but a lot of discussion.......[/QUOTE]Dennis' loss was before Aranas v Corteza was finished. Then Aranas missed a straight in ball on the hill. I'm not saying it was a thrown game, anyone can break under pressure. But that game slowed down considerably at the halfway point.

Also, a loss by Corteza would have meant that Filler had to beat both Corteza and Aranas. Instead of 1 of them in 1 race to 11.

Of course, if Dennis had won his match and Corteza lost, Filler would have had to run the gauntlets thru 3 fearless Philippinos! A Spartan would call that "fighting in the shade." And Dennis would have no less than 3rd place outright. And won All around.

The Corteza win and Dennis loss was probably their worse case in the 9ball tourney.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

kkdanamatt

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
A loss by Dennis and an Aranas win would have given Thorpe the Master of the Table as Dennis would have finished fourth in that scenario. Dennis lost to Filler, but Corteza's win over Aranas decided the all-around.

There was a lot of discussion about the Philippine Cartel influencing the Master of the Table outcome. Not that it happened, but a lot of discussion.......[/QUOTE]

Last year at the 2019 DCC, a similar situation arose with Bustamante, who was in contention for Master of the Table. He defeated both Pagulayan and Orcollo in One-Pocket but Busty failed to finish high enough in the 9-Ball to win MOT. Watching those two matches--Pagulayan/Bustamante and Orcollo/Bustamante--it appeared to this observer that both Alex and Dennis played well below their top 1P speed.
"Not that it happened, but a lot of discussion......."

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
No doubt, pool players do "business" with each other. In a perfect world it wouldn't be so, but the truth is that it has always been this way.

How many remember when the World 9-ball Championships Stage 1 was decided in groups having a Round Robin format, in which the top few in each group advanced to the knockout. Racks won was the tiebreaker between players of equal record. Allowing a friend to win or, at least, to win as many racks as they needed to advance, was a major issue and a common practice.

How many remember the IPT, a multi-stage 8-ball tournament which used round robin groups to determine who would advance to the next stage? Once again, rack count was the tiebreaker. We all know "business" was done back then.

Another situation when "business" is sometimes done is in any pro or amateur event with a Calcutta. When the player who bought half of himself plays the guy who bought all of himself in a late round match, the door is wide open for "business" to be done.

Doing "business" is not the sole domain of the Filipino contingent, but a practice found practically everywhere when these kinds of situations arise.

Let's not compare this kind of doing "business" to something like the 1991 Challenge of Champions, in which some of the players are widely believed to have conspired to rip off a Las Vegas sports book.

I think we need to let this go. In our sport, "business" has been and always will be done. Sad but true.

Last edited:

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think we need to let this go. In our sport said:
Yes, we need to let this go. The reason I brought it up is that I overheard this conversation and think that the naïve, such as me in the gambling world, should at least be aware.

By the way Stu, from your comments, you are easily one of the most respected on this forum.

tom haney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I heard there was a fairly young player from Parkersburg, WV, who went deep in the one pocket tourney. Who was that?

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No doubt, pool players do "business" with each other. In a perfect world it wouldn't be so, but the truth is that it has always been this way.

How many remember when the World 9-ball Championships Stage 1 was decided in groups having a Round Robin format, in which the top few in each group advanced to the knockout. Racks won was the tiebreaker between players of equal record. Allowing a friend to win or, at least, to win as many racks as they needed to advance, was a major issue and a common practice.

How many remember the IPT, a multi-stage 8-ball tournament which used round robin groups to determine who would advance to the next stage? Once again, rack count was the tiebreaker. We all know "business" was done back then.

Another situation when "business" is sometimes done is in any pro or amateur event with a Calcutta. When the player who bought half of himself plays the guy who bought all of himself in a late round match, the door is wide open for "business" to be done.

Doing "business" is not the sole domain of the Filipino contingent, but a practice found practically everywhere when these kinds of situations arise.

Let's not compare this kind of doing "business" to something like the 1991 Challenge of Champions, in which some of the players are widely believed to have conspired to rip off a Las Vegas sports book.

I think we need to let this go. In our sport, "business" has been and always will be done. Sad but true.

not unique for pool. the round robin shenanigans is commonplace in many major sports.

the 1991 dive.. let's just hope that won't happen again if they open for pool betting in the US.. one good thing with mr hearn is that he is stern, especially with that aspect. if pool grows under the MR umbrella, they're going to step up that part as well.

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
I'm always looking forward to a trip report by Stu, especially after the Derby City. And here it goes another great write-up!
Thanks a lot Stu, you are really a legend (at least to the pool community and the AZB) :thumbup: