SJM at the 2020 Derby City Classic

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I'm always looking forward to a trip report by Stu, especially after the Derby City. And here it goes another great write-up!
Thanks a lot Stu, you are really a legend (at least to the pool community and the AZB) :thumbup:

It's my pleasure to share my experiences. Maybe I'll motivate someone who has never experienced the Derby to give it a try, and that would make it all worth it.

Last edited:

kkdanamatt

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
There was a lot of discussion about the Philippine Cartel influencing the Master of the Table outcome. Not that it happened, but a lot of discussion.......[/QUOTE]

The lopsided prize money payouts for Master of the Table, IMHO, contribute to the possibility of "business" being done.
1st: $20,000
2nd: $3000
3rd: $2000

This huge $$ disparity is unfair and the players know it.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
There was a lot of discussion about the Philippine Cartel influencing the Master of the Table outcome. Not that it happened, but a lot of discussion.......

The lopsided prize money payouts for Master of the Table, IMHO, contribute to the possibility of "business" being done.

This huge $$ disparity is unfair and the players know it.[/QUOTE]

Tell the event director....

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I don't see the great payout disparity as unfair, but there's no denying it is conducive to the possibility of "business" being done. That, to me, is not enough reason to revise the payout structure for Master of the Table, which is top heavy and offers a bonus unlike any other for the player that earns the title of "best all-around player" for the year. To me, it's a winning formula.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
There was a lot of discussion about the Philippine Cartel influencing the Master of the Table outcome. Not that it happened, but a lot of discussion.......

This huge $$ disparity is unfair and the players know it.[/QUOTE]

The players aren't stupid. There is a good way they handle things like this if it looks like it's going to be close. It's called "chop-chop." ;)

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

This huge $$ disparity is unfair and the players know it.

The players aren't stupid. There is a good way they handle things like this if it looks like it's going to be close. It's called "chop-chop." ;)[/QUOTE]

Jay are you saying chop,or savers ?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
The players aren't stupid. There is a good way they handle things like this if it looks like it's going to be close. It's called "chop-chop." ;)

Jay are you saying chop,or savers ?[/QUOTE]

It can be both or either one. That has been going on in professional pool for decades and it's the way players protect themselves from massive swings in money.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Billy is made for the MoT.

Super strong in banks and 1p.

He just had some bad draws in 9b(Dennis rd 2 and Oi rd 5).

kkdanamatt

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It can be both or either one. That has been going on in professional pool for decades and it's the way players protect themselves from massive swings in money.

Jay, there's a third way besides chop-chop and savers.
And when it happens, which I've witnessed more than once, it ain't pretty.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
enough already; when will they be calling on sjm to be vice coach for MC Team USA? :thumbup:

With so many things already scheduled for when hell freezes over, I suspect this won't happen until the day after hell freezes over.