Need a lesson? Scott Lee is the man for you!!

Brozif

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I just had a four hour lesson with Scott Lee.

First let me tell you a little about me and where I am or thought I was with my pool game. This will probably be a little long winded, so I'll apologize now. As far as for the critics, if you have a problem with this thread, or Scott Lee as an instructor or as a person, then please leave now!! I don't want, nor am I trying to start any negativity on this thread. Just simply go to another thread and enjoy yourself.

I have been playing pool seriously since I was 21. That was 18 years ago. I had an 8 year break up until 2 years ago when I started back up. So I have been playing for about 10 years. I do play APA and I'm a skill level 7 in 8-ball, and 9 in 9-ball. Do I think I'm hot stuff? NO. Do I think I know everything? HELL NO. Did I think that I knew quite a bit? Yes, I thought I was fairly knowlegeable. What do I think now after the lesson? I don't know squat!!

Last night during my lesson, I felt like I was being coached by a true APA 7/9, and I was a 2. So many of the things that I thought were important to playing good pool, turned out to be only theories. I have been coaching all of my players and leading them in the way that I perceived to be correct, but that's because I thought I knew what I was talking about. There are a lot of things that I can show them, simply because I have more experience. But after last night, I will have to go back to those players, and fix some of the things where I led them in the wrong direction. Then I will also be able to apply some of the new things that I learned, that I think will help them and our team improve as a whole.

In no way am I saying that after my lesson with Scott Lee, I will be able to teach them like he could and we're all going to go on the pro tour. But he has helped me to notice some simple things that I may be able to help them with as a result from my lesson, and we will enjoy the game that much more.

I'm not sure what everyone has spent on cues, tables, books, videos and anything pool related, and truly I don't care. But let's just say that for what I have spent, I could have bought a very nice car!!

The cost of the lesson is a mere fraction of what I've spent on pool related things, but I believe it will prove to be the wisest and most valuable pool tool, that I have ever spent my HARD earned money on.

Scott Lee is extremely knowlegeable. He is very easy to learn from, because his communication skills are excellent. He doesn't try to impress you with big words and big strokes. He simply evaluates what you're current habits are, makes suggestions, shows you the proper way of performing fundamentals and what you need to do to perform those fundamentals correctly.. Did he tell me that he was going to have me playing like the Phillipino's in 4 hours? Heck no, he didn't even suggest I try!! He simply said that he would give me the tools to improve my game and be the best player that I could be. It was up to me, how far I would take the improvement. I could impove enough to be just a stronger 7/9 in APA, or if I wanted to take it to even higher levels, I could improve enough to be able to compete with some semi-pro's. But it was entirely up to me, on how much I practiced, and where the improvement would take me. You know the saying..."you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink". That is exactly what he's trying to tell you.

Last night's lesson, should have been the lesson I took when I first started playing pool, then maybe I wouldn't have developed all these bad habits that I have now. Once I apply everything that Scott taught me yesterday, I believe that I will improve greatly. In no way do I think that I'm done with lessons. I believe that I now have the proper basic tools to be able to eventually compete with players that play in pro tournaments. I'm not going to go up to SVB, or any top tier pro and challenge them to play!! For that, I will wait for my next lesson which will be with the Cue-Tech Pool School, where he teaches with Randy G, and other master instructors. That is a more detailed and advanced class of 3 8hr days. This school is located in Dallas, but it does travel around the states, so be on the look out for it in your area. Or you can always contact Scott Lee, and or Randy G. on this website and they can probably let you know when it will be in or around your area.

HOWEVER, i truly recommend that first you take a private lesson with Scott Lee or Randy G. BEFORE you move onto the advanced course. That way you get the full potential from your investment. If you can't hook up with them, ask them and they'll let you know which instructor is in your area.

We spend anywhere from $650 up to $10,000 on a custom pool cue. Why not be able to have a game to match it? I could have saved myself a lot of money had I taken this lesson before I started buying all these different types of cues. What is the point of having low deflection cues, if you don't even know what your looking for? If you don't know what deflection is or even looks like, then you might as well keep shooting with the shaft that came with your cue!! I kept trying to improve my game, by buying the next item that told me it would improve my game. When the whole time, the only improvement that I needed, came from me!! The cue is just an extension of what I'm doing or trying to do, and if I'm doing everything correctly, then it doesn't matter whether I'm using a$100 Cuetec or a $10,000 custom cue. I guess you could always say "I have a $10,000 Hercek cue", but if you make the same mistakes that most of us make, I'll tell you..."yeah, but you have a $2 game to go with it!!"

Scott,

Loved my lesson!! Can't wait to apply everything you taught me. And once I master all those techniques, I will definitely be attending the Cue-Tech Pool School. I only wish that all these wonderful people on this website take my advise, and call you, Randy G. or any of the guys that you work with and take a lesson!!

Good luck with everything that you do, and THANK YOU!!

woody_968

BRING BACK 14.1
Silver Member
I have taken lessons with those that are considered to be the best teachers in our sport. Scott is one of them!

His knowledge of the game and great comunication skills make him an excellent instructor. Not to mention his obvious joy when he is at the table working with a student.

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
What did your lesson consist of? Don't really need you to tell what he told you but am interested in what he did to help you. Such as worked on your stroke, grip and etc.

Thanks

justin.powell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also enjoyed my lesson with Scott. I am hoping to have the time and money to do it again. I am limited by work and family life, but I would recommend Scott to anyone wanting lessons. One good thing is he will come to you!

lee brett

www.leebrettpool.com
Silver Member
if anyone is in toronto, thrn come see me lee brett, im here to be national coach

woody_968

BRING BACK 14.1
Silver Member
if anyone is in toronto, thrn come see me lee brett, im here to be national coach

And what does this have to do with the thread?

Im all for those out there trying to spread enjoyment of the game to others, but a selfish plug in a thread about a noted instructor is a little much for me.

Woody

happy hour

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Contact Info

So I just had a four hour lesson with Scott Lee.

First let me tell you a little about me and where I am or thought I was with my pool game. This will probably be a little long winded, so I'll apologize now. As far as for the critics, if you have a problem with this thread, or Scott Lee as an instructor or as a person, then please leave now!! I don't want, nor am I trying to start any negativity on this thread. Just simply go to another thread and enjoy yourself.

I have been playing pool seriously since I was 21. That was 18 years ago. I had an 8 year break up until 2 years ago when I started back up. So I have been playing for about 10 years. I do play APA and I'm a skill level 7 in 8-ball, and 9 in 9-ball. Do I think I'm hot stuff? NO. Do I think I know everything? HELL NO. Did I think that I knew quite a bit? Yes, I thought I was fairly knowlegeable. What do I think now after the lesson? I don't know squat!!

Last night during my lesson, I felt like I was being coached by a true APA 7/9, and I was a 2. So many of the things that I thought were important to playing good pool, turned out to be only theories. I have been coaching all of my players and leading them in the way that I perceived to be correct, but that's because I thought I knew what I was talking about. There are a lot of things that I can show them, simply because I have more experience. But after last night, I will have to go back to those players, and fix some of the things where I led them in the wrong direction. Then I will also be able to apply some of the new things that I learned, that I think will help them and our team improve as a whole.

In no way am I saying that after my lesson with Scott Lee, I will be able to teach them like he could and we're all going to go on the pro tour. But he has helped me to notice some simple things that I may be able to help them with as a result from my lesson, and we will enjoy the game that much more.

I'm not sure what everyone has spent on cues, tables, books, videos and anything pool related, and truly I don't care. But let's just say that for what I have spent, I could have bought a very nice car!!

The cost of the lesson is a mere fraction of what I've spent on pool related things, but I believe it will prove to be the wisest and most valuable pool tool, that I have ever spent my HARD earned money on.

Scott Lee is extremely knowlegeable. He is very easy to learn from, because his communication skills are excellent. He doesn't try to impress you with big words and big strokes. He simply evaluates what you're current habits are, makes suggestions, shows you the proper way of performing fundamentals and what you need to do to perform those fundamentals correctly.. Did he tell me that he was going to have me playing like the Phillipino's in 4 hours? Heck no, he didn't even suggest I try!! He simply said that he would give me the tools to improve my game and be the best player that I could be. It was up to me, how far I would take the improvement. I could impove enough to be just a stronger 7/9 in APA, or if I wanted to take it to even higher levels, I could improve enough to be able to compete with some semi-pro's. But it was entirely up to me, on how much I practiced, and where the improvement would take me. You know the saying..."you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink". That is exactly what he's trying to tell you.

Last night's lesson, should have been the lesson I took when I first started playing pool, then maybe I wouldn't have developed all these bad habits that I have now. Once I apply everything that Scott taught me yesterday, I believe that I will improve greatly. In no way do I think that I'm done with lessons. I believe that I now have the proper basic tools to be able to eventually compete with players that play in pro tournaments. I'm not going to go up to SVB, or any top tier pro and challenge them to play!! For that, I will wait for my next lesson which will be with the Cue-Tech Pool School, where he teaches with Randy G, and other master instructors. That is a more detailed and advanced class of 3 8hr days. This school is located in Dallas, but it does travel around the states, so be on the look out for it in your area. Or you can always contact Scott Lee, and or Randy G. on this website and they can probably let you know when it will be in or around your area.

HOWEVER, i truly recommend that first you take a private lesson with Scott Lee or Randy G. BEFORE you move onto the advanced course. That way you get the full potential from your investment. If you can't hook up with them, ask them and they'll let you know which instructor is in your area.

We spend anywhere from $650 up to $10,000 on a custom pool cue. Why not be able to have a game to match it? I could have saved myself a lot of money had I taken this lesson before I started buying all these different types of cues. What is the point of having low deflection cues, if you don't even know what your looking for? If you don't know what deflection is or even looks like, then you might as well keep shooting with the shaft that came with your cue!! I kept trying to improve my game, by buying the next item that told me it would improve my game. When the whole time, the only improvement that I needed, came from me!! The cue is just an extension of what I'm doing or trying to do, and if I'm doing everything correctly, then it doesn't matter whether I'm using a$100 Cuetec or a $10,000 custom cue. I guess you could always say "I have a $10,000 Hercek cue", but if you make the same mistakes that most of us make, I'll tell you..."yeah, but you have a $2 game to go with it!!"

Scott,

Loved my lesson!! Can't wait to apply everything you taught me. And once I master all those techniques, I will definitely be attending the Cue-Tech Pool School. I only wish that all these wonderful people on this website take my advise, and call you, Randy G. or any of the guys that you work with and take a lesson!!

Good luck with everything that you do, and THANK YOU!!

Hello how would someone get in contact with Scott Lee? Please pm if possible.

Thank you

Brozif

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What did your lesson consist of? Don't really need you to tell what he told you but am interested in what he did to help you. Such as worked on your stroke, grip and etc.

Thanks

He can structure the lesson to whatever you feel you need. You just have to let him know what it is you're looking for. Give him a shout. He posts on here under his name. And like someone else said. He comes to you!! Got a table at home? He's there!!

Look, if Tiger Woods needs a coach... even top pool pro's seek out coaches once in a while. If you have never taken any type of structured instruction, then you can use a lesson. You would be surprised at what you may find.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tony...Thanks for the kind words! I do love teaching, and I think that is definitely part of why I have been lucky enough to be quite successful, working with so many players, of all abilities, all over the country.

I had a blast working with all three of you, and I hope Michael and John have the same kind of success you're experiencing from our lesson. It was a VERY long day, and it was nice to relax, even for a little while, after I was done with working with all three of you, one at a time. I get to actually play not all that often, because I'm always teaching (I'm down in Wilmington, NC now, and have an all-day private with a gentleman here tomorrow). After that, my wife and I will drive to Tampa, for a well-earned month-long vacation at the beach! :grin: I will be doing a few lessons in FL while I'm down there, so if anyone wants some time with me, PM me here.:grin:

I really believe that any level player can benefit a great deal, from getting a video review of their setup and delivery process...and you saw how effective it is in pointing out the GOOD things that we have, in our process, and how easy it is to spot stroke flaws. We can't fix what we don't know about...we can't fix what we can't measure...and you can only fix ONE thing at a time! It was fun to see the look on your face, when you told me (before we looked at the video) that your warm up cycle was totally random...and it turned out to be EXACTLY the same on every shot! That's always a benefit, since there isn't much change involved...just a little tweaking, and paying more attention to your "process". The Mother Drills are the bomb, once you know how and why to use them, in your structured practice routine! I look forward to watching your progress, and hope to see you again later this summer, when we bring pool school back to Richmond!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

BryanBpool

M.T.F.B.
Silver Member
It was an eye opening experience!! He's a great instructor.

Good luck and have fun!!

I am really looking forward to it.

It sounds like I am in the same boat as you. I have been playing serious pool now for about 9 years. I'm also an APA 7 in 8 ball and an 8, rapidly approaching 9, in 9 ball. I recently moved our team from a hall with 9 foot tables to 7 foot tables. I dont miss much on the 7 footers ;-)

The inconsistencies in my game drive me absolutely nuts. One day I will play and I cannot miss, the next day running 3 balls can be an absolute chore.

I feel that I can identify the issues I am having with my mechanics and such, but do not know how to approach solving the problem.

My goals in pool are not to become the best in the world, but merely to constantly improve. The rate of improvement has slowed dramatically over the last several years.

I need help! lol

-Bryan

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
Scott & I have several schools planned this Summer and Fall. Check my website for up-dated schedules.

See you in Richmond. Josh and I are working out the dates right now.

Scott say hi to Patty for me. Love ya both....SPF=randyg

PS: You are right, Scott is the nutts!!!!

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have recommended Scott to several people who followed through and got lessons. None of these people has ever given me any negative feedback about Scott. I have no hesitancy in recommending him as a top level pool instructor.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
Scott Lee is an outstanding instructor and one of the nicest people you will ever meet in the game of pool. If he is passing through your town, take advantage of the Traveling College of Pool Knowledge. Just like Bill, I have been recommending people to Scott for years and all that I have heard is positive feedback. The only thing better than having a class with Scott Lee, is attending one of the clinics with Scott, Randyg, and other outstanding teachers.

OK Scott, now you owe me lunch.
:grin:

dirtydog48

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
a year later

I had a lesson w/Scott a year ago and am still learning from it. I review the day every now and then and seem to always pick up on something else. Currently, it is "home" or where your back hand ends up. I am trying to bring my back hand to my chest on each stroke and that action, I am finding, is key to keeping the cue straight all the way through the stroke. There are so many pearls of wisdom throughout the lesson, it pays to review it again and again. The money spent w/Scott was and is the best investment I have ever made in my game.
E.

Roger Long

Sonoran Cue Creations
Silver Member
I'm envious!

I'm envious of Scott...AND Randy! One of these days, when time and finances permit, I would like to take lessons from one, or both, of these gentlemen.

Roger

Gregg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wait until, four, five, six months later when you put everything together.

Scott is easily the best thing that happed to my game.

Brozif

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wait until, four, five, six months later when you put everything together.

Scott is easily the best thing that happed to my game.

I know it's going to take time for everything to fall into place. So I'm going to try to be real patient with myself!! I can't wait to see how my skill improves.