Interesting early gambling experiences!

Brozif

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my early pool career I learned that I should not gamble for anything that I'm not prepared to lose. So I never gambled for money. It was always something fun like drinks or favors or table time. As I kept playing and got better, I started playing guys my own speed for a $1 or $2 per game. That progressed into races to 5 for $10 or $20, but at that time no more than that. I always thought that any more than that and it lost it's "friendly" feeling.

As my game improved, I started to join more local tournaments. Here is where I would be introduced to the foundation and under belly of pool. The serious gamblers. Gamblers that won't put their sticks together unless it's to play a tournament match or to gamble. They don't remember what it's like to play for fun. It has to be $100 a game or ridiculous sets.

This one particular time, I went to this pool hall and they were having a big state tournament. There were a lot of people there that I didn't know. I had shown up to play, but there were no open tables. As the night progressed they were able to confine the tournament to only about 20 tables, leaving the other 10 open for practice. That also left me out because I was not in the tournament. Well, this guy asked if I wanted to play and I told him that I only had about $100 on me. I didn't know this guy at all, and was pretty sure that knowing my skill level and the fact that he's playing in a state tournament, that I was probably going to be parting ways with my $100. He said that he had a lot of time before his next match and just wanted to practice seriously, so he said that we could play for $5 a game. I considered myself very lucky. Thinking that I was going to get valuable experience playing someone far better than me for only $5 a game. So I agree and we start playing. We trade the first few racks back and forth, but then I get warmed up and start winning more than I thought I would. I find myself up $50 on him and that's when he says let's play a race to 3 for $50. Being that I'm ahead and that I'm playing with his money, I extend him the courtesy to try to win his money back. I win the race and I'm up $100. He then says let's play double or nothing. Again, his money so okay. Now I'm up $200, do it again and I'm up $400. He pays me and asks me where I'm from and I tell him I live locally. He asks me if I play in any league and I tell him that I play in an APA league. He asks me my rating and I tell him that I'm a 5. He tells me he's from Des Moines, IA and that he's a 5 as well, but that I'm still better than him and asks for a "spot". Being that I have never done any real gambling, I ask him what a "spot" is. He then explains it to me and asks me to give him 2 games in a race to 5. Which I told him as politely as I could that he was out of his mind!! If he's truly a 5 like he says, and I'm a 5 then that means that neither one of us should be giving the other a "spot". He demands a spot and I refuse. I already have his money and if he wants any chance of winning it back, we had to play even. It wasn't like I was crushing him in those sets, in 2 of them we were tied 2-2. He says fine, but let's play another set, even up race to 10 for $400. So I tell him how about a race to 5 for $200. I didn't want to give him back all of his money in one go should he happen to win. He agrees and I'm now up another $200. This is where I made my first mistake. He asked to play a race to 10 for $400 now and I didn't ask for the $200 that I had just won. He had already paid me the original $400 that he lost and I had no reason to think that he would not be able to pay. So I agreed and now he owed me $600. So in all it would be $1000. My heart was racing, I thought I was walking out of there with $1000. My wife will be so happy! I was wrong. He tells me that he doesn't have the $600 that he owes me, but that he would let me have his playing cue for now. For now? I thought he meant that we would play again someday and that he would win his money back. That is NOT what he meant at all! So I tell him, that I don't know what his cue is worth, and he asks me if I'm beeing serious. He asks this guy at the table next to him if he thought his cue was worth $600 and the guy said that he would give him $600 right now for it. Here I am playing with a McDermott with the picture of the soldier laying down on it, and this guy has this real pretty cue, but to me it's just a cue. I'm not a big pool cue know it all. So I agree and take his cue.

He plays his match and he looses. He sees me on the way out and says that he would be back tomorrow and to hang on to his money because he's coming back for it tomorrow. I heard money, nothing about his cue. So here I am sitting around watching some of the pool action when the guy that said he would give him $600 cash right now for it, came by me and asked if I took his cue. I told him yes, and he said to hang on to it because it's worth a lot of money. This guy overhears the conversation and asked if I had taken Jack's cue. I told him yes. He told me he has been asking Jack to sell him that cue for years. He doesn't care for Jack at all and would like to know if I would consider selling it. He asked to look at it, so we went to an empty table, he put it together, hit a couple of balls, turns to me and says...I'll give you $2500 for it! After I came to, I asked him, did you say two thousand five hundred? He said yes, right now, in cash! Put the money on the table and the cue is yours! This guy lays out the cash and it's now his cue.

Of course I'm stunned and asked him why he would pay so much for that cue. What was it about that cue that he liked so much? He then went into a story about it and told me that it was a Richard Black cue and it was worth more than what he paid. He told me that I just learned a valuable lesson because that cue was worth around $4000. He asked me how much I took off of him in order for him to give me his cue, and I told him that he owed me $600. He said kid you just made a hell of a deal and that he couldn't wait to see the look on Jack's face the next day when he came back. I thought I understood what he meant, but again...I was wrong!!

So it's Sunday and the last day of the tournament and sure enough Jack comes up to me and says, I got $1000. I'll give you $600, you give me my cue back and we'll play for the other $400. I didn't know what to say, but the guy who bought the cue came up and said to Jack that I couldn't give him the cue back cause it wasn't mine anymore. So Jack is instantly pissed off and starts screaming at me, What did you do with my fu***ng cue? I may be a novice at gambling, but I'm not a novice at physical confrontation. So I tell him to calm down, and that I sold his cue to that guy. So he starts cussing that guy out, calling him Chris. So yes, he does know him. He's calling him a thieving mother f***er and all this stuff and then calms down a little and asks if I would return the money to Chris, Chris give the cue back to me, and if he could give me $600. Chris said f**k no! That was never going to happen. That was now his cue and the only time he would ever see it is when he was using it to kick his a$$! Jack tells me that he only gave me the cue as collateral until he got the money to get it back. I told him that he never said that. He only told me to hang on to the money because he was coming to get it back. As far as I was concerned the cue was mine to do with whatever I wanted. Had he told me of his intentions it would have been a totally different story. I would have never sold his cue and I would have given it back to him as soon as he gave me what he owed me. He called me a few choice names, made some idle threats, but in the end. I walked out with $2900. Sure I felt bad for the guy, but I was very new to the gambling scene and he wasn't specific enough. Hell, I was so new to it, that he had to explain what a "spot" was. I know I would have made sure that he knew what my intentions were if that was my cue.

Again sorry for the long thread. I'm bored. I've gotten to know this forum and some of it's members and thought I would share some of my stories. There's more to come!

Salamander

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is this story some kind of a joke? I don't believe this is a true story, but if it is....

Your story makes me sick. You should never have sold the guys cue until he had a reasonable chance to pay you what he owed you. At the very least you should return the balance of what you made off of the cue back to him.

You are a nit of the worst kind.

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A very interesting story. Thanks for sharing. I think he assumed you knew he was only asking you to hold the cue until he could settle up his $600 debt. If he didn't make it perfectly clear, then it's on him in my opinion.

walrus_3d

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Hold onto my cue for now" sounds like collateral to me. I think he was plenty clear, and you took advantage. I'd've held onto the cue anyway.

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Questions come to mind

First, what is a 5 doing with a $4,000 cue?
Second, what is a 5 doing gambling for so much money?

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the guy who lost got what he had coming. If you gamble with no money, you are a piece of shit and deserve to lose your cue forever.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think the guy who lost got what he had coming. If you gamble with no money, you are a piece of shit and deserve to lose your cue forever.

I'll roll with that. The loser created the situation and is pissed at the other party. Also, what if the cue was worthless or the guy never came back.

Brozif

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is this story some kind of a joke? I don't believe this is a true story, but if it is....

Your story makes me sick. You should never have sold the guys cue until he had a reasonable chance to pay you what he owed you. At the very least you should return the balance of what you made off of the cue back to him.

You are a nit of the worst kind.

Well, I'm not going to get into name calling with you. Frankly that's juvenile and beneath me.

As far as whether you believe me or not. I'm not going to lose sleep over the fact that you don't believe me. The story is true and you don't know me or my character so in reality who are you to doubt or judge my integrity.

I am 42 years old and this happened when I was around 25, so that was like 17 years ago. I had very little experience with the gambling scene. Having only played with friends for a $1 or $2 per game. Never had anything like that situation before. The guy approached me, asked me to play and decided on $5 a game. That was cheap enough for me and so we played. He got down $400 was able to pay. Didn't have any more money, but continued to play and lost an additional $600. He gave me his cue and before he left, he said to hold on to his MONEY because he was coming back for it. I thought he meant he wanted a chance to win some of his money back. Not thinking about the cue. He wasn't clear about the cue and I had no gambling protocol experience to read between the lines and figure out that he meant for me to hold on to his pool cue.

Being a beginner to gambling and the incredible offer that the other gentleman made, I saw no problem selling the cue. After all the guy didn't have the money and he basically paid me off with the cue. Since I believed the cue to be mine, once the gentleman offered me that money, I couldn't pass it up.

Knowing everything that I know now. I would not have done what I did back then. I would have held on to it. That's because I have enough playing experience to know what to do. But back then I didn't know any better.

So to attack me for a mistake that I made 17 years ago, seems a little unfair.

I'm sorry this makes you sick. It would make me sick also if it was done deliberately. It's not like I did this yesterday. If that were the case, I would expect a lynching and accept every bad thing that people said about me! This happened a long time ago!

Brozif

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Hold onto my cue for now" sounds like collateral to me. I think he was plenty clear, and you took advantage. I'd've held onto the cue anyway.

Sir, I don't know where you read that he told me to "Hold onto my cue for now". That is nowhere in my thread. He said that "I could have his cue for now". He also said to hold on to my money cause he would be back for it. So I figured he just meant that he would be back to try to win the cue and his money back.

The fact of the matter is he was not very clear at all. If he had been clear he would have said this:

"Look, I don't have the $600 right now, but I will give you my cue to hold onto. I will be back tomorrow with the $600 and then take my cue back. Is that okay with you?" Had he said something like that, then everything would have been understood, and yes if I had done what ended up happening then I would deserve the negative comments that are being thrown my way now.

The problem is he never said anything like this. So I was left to believe that it was now my cue.

Last edited:

Brozif

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Look everybody. I know now that I could and should have handled that situation 17 years ago differently. I definitely didn't start this thread to get kicked around. It happened when I was very green, and if you have ever read any of my other posts, you'll see that I'm a stand up kind of guy.

I would never intentionally steal or do somebody wrong!

I started this thread so that maybe others might be inclined to tell an embarrasing or funny experience that they had while gambling early in their pool careers.

brandoncook26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The guy was firing air hoping that jacking up the bet would cause Brozif to get soft and he could get his money back. After he shot air and lost the cue doesn't become collateral, it becomes my property to do with what I please. If you want to be nice and hold the cue that's fine and admirable, but if you want to sell it you are free to do so.

Maybe next time he shouldn't gamble with money he doesn't have.

A friend of mine gambled with a guy playing a $500 set. He won and the guy said "I only have $200, sorry". My friend took his cue and said I'm keeping it for a week and then selling it. The guy said, "that's not mine, it's my friends cue."

My friend told him he should come up with the rest of the money or start planning on getting his friend another cue, lol. For the record, I think the cue was owned by the guy playing, he was just trying to get sympathy to air barrel my buddy and get to keep his gear.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my early pool career I learned that I should not gamble for anything that I'm not prepared to lose. So I never gambled for money. It was always something fun like drinks or favors or table time. As I kept playing and got better, I started playing guys my own speed for a $1 or $2 per game. That progressed into races to 5 for $10 or $20, but at that time no more than that. I always thought that any more than that and it lost it's "friendly" feeling.

As my game improved, I started to join more local tournaments. Here is where I would be introduced to the foundation and under belly of pool. The serious gamblers. Gamblers that won't put their sticks together unless it's to play a tournament match or to gamble. They don't remember what it's like to play for fun. It has to be $100 a game or ridiculous sets.

This one particular time, I went to this pool hall and they were having a big state tournament. There were a lot of people there that I didn't know. I had shown up to play, but there were no open tables. As the night progressed they were able to confine the tournament to only about 20 tables, leaving the other 10 open for practice. That also left me out because I was not in the tournament. Well, this guy asked if I wanted to play and I told him that I only had about $100 on me. I didn't know this guy at all, and was pretty sure that knowing my skill level and the fact that he's playing in a state tournament, that I was probably going to be parting ways with my $100. He said that he had a lot of time before his next match and just wanted to practice seriously, so he said that we could play for $5 a game. I considered myself very lucky. Thinking that I was going to get valuable experience playing someone far better than me for only $5 a game. So I agree and we start playing. We trade the first few racks back and forth, but then I get warmed up and start winning more than I thought I would. I find myself up $50 on him and that's when he says let's play a race to 3 for $50. Being that I'm ahead and that I'm playing with his money, I extend him the courtesy to try to win his money back. I win the race and I'm up $100. He then says let's play double or nothing. Again, his money so okay. Now I'm up $200, do it again and I'm up $400. He pays me and asks me where I'm from and I tell him I live locally. He asks me if I play in any league and I tell him that I play in an APA league. He asks me my rating and I tell him that I'm a 5. He tells me he's from Des Moines, IA and that he's a 5 as well, but that I'm still better than him and asks for a "spot". Being that I have never done any real gambling, I ask him what a "spot" is. He then explains it to me and asks me to give him 2 games in a race to 5. Which I told him as politely as I could that he was out of his mind!! If he's truly a 5 like he says, and I'm a 5 then that means that neither one of us should be giving the other a "spot". He demands a spot and I refuse. I already have his money and if he wants any chance of winning it back, we had to play even. It wasn't like I was crushing him in those sets, in 2 of them we were tied 2-2. He says fine, but let's play another set, even up race to 10 for $400. So I tell him how about a race to 5 for $200. I didn't want to give him back all of his money in one go should he happen to win. He agrees and I'm now up another $200. This is where I made my first mistake. He asked to play a race to 10 for $400 now and I didn't ask for the $200 that I had just won. He had already paid me the original $400 that he lost and I had no reason to think that he would not be able to pay. So I agreed and now he owed me $600. So in all it would be $1000. My heart was racing, I thought I was walking out of there with $1000. My wife will be so happy! I was wrong. He tells me that he doesn't have the $600 that he owes me, but that he would let me have his playing cue for now. For now? I thought he meant that we would play again someday and that he would win his money back. That is NOT what he meant at all! So I tell him, that I don't know what his cue is worth, and he asks me if I'm beeing serious. He asks this guy at the table next to him if he thought his cue was worth $600 and the guy said that he would give him $600 right now for it. Here I am playing with a McDermott with the picture of the soldier laying down on it, and this guy has this real pretty cue, but to me it's just a cue. I'm not a big pool cue know it all. So I agree and take his cue.

He plays his match and he looses. He sees me on the way out and says that he would be back tomorrow and to hang on to his money because he's coming back for it tomorrow. I heard money, nothing about his cue. So here I am sitting around watching some of the pool action when the guy that said he would give him $600 cash right now for it, came by me and asked if I took his cue. I told him yes, and he said to hang on to it because it's worth a lot of money. This guy overhears the conversation and asked if I had taken Jack's cue. I told him yes. He told me he has been asking Jack to sell him that cue for years. He doesn't care for Jack at all and would like to know if I would consider selling it. He asked to look at it, so we went to an empty table, he put it together, hit a couple of balls, turns to me and says...I'll give you $2500 for it! After I came to, I asked him, did you say two thousand five hundred? He said yes, right now, in cash! Put the money on the table and the cue is yours! This guy lays out the cash and it's now his cue.

Of course I'm stunned and asked him why he would pay so much for that cue. What was it about that cue that he liked so much? He then went into a story about it and told me that it was a Richard Black cue and it was worth more than what he paid. He told me that I just learned a valuable lesson because that cue was worth around $4000. He asked me how much I took off of him in order for him to give me his cue, and I told him that he owed me $600. He said kid you just made a hell of a deal and that he couldn't wait to see the look on Jack's face the next day when he came back. I thought I understood what he meant, but again...I was wrong!!

So it's Sunday and the last day of the tournament and sure enough Jack comes up to me and says, I got $1000. I'll give you $600, you give me my cue back and we'll play for the other $400. I didn't know what to say, but the guy who bought the cue came up and said to Jack that I couldn't give him the cue back cause it wasn't mine anymore. So Jack is instantly pissed off and starts screaming at me, What did you do with my fu***ng cue? I may be a novice at gambling, but I'm not a novice at physical confrontation. So I tell him to calm down, and that I sold his cue to that guy. So he starts cussing that guy out, calling him Chris. So yes, he does know him. He's calling him a thieving mother f***er and all this stuff and then calms down a little and asks if I would return the money to Chris, Chris give the cue back to me, and if he could give me $600. Chris said f**k no! That was never going to happen. That was now his cue and the only time he would ever see it is when he was using it to kick his a$$! Jack tells me that he only gave me the cue as collateral until he got the money to get it back. I told him that he never said that. He only told me to hang on to the money because he was coming to get it back. As far as I was concerned the cue was mine to do with whatever I wanted. Had he told me of his intentions it would have been a totally different story. I would have never sold his cue and I would have given it back to him as soon as he gave me what he owed me. He called me a few choice names, made some idle threats, but in the end. I walked out with $2900. Sure I felt bad for the guy, but I was very new to the gambling scene and he wasn't specific enough. Hell, I was so new to it, that he had to explain what a "spot" was. I know I would have made sure that he knew what my intentions were if that was my cue.

Again sorry for the long thread. I'm bored. I've gotten to know this forum and some of it's members and thought I would share some of my stories. There's more to come!
Thank you for the story and telling us what a total F'n pr!ck you are.

Brozif

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you for the story and telling us what a total F'n pr!ck you are.

Yeah, cause I couldn't wait to share a story with everyone that would get me crucified!

I'm starting to wonder if people actually read the whole thread, or because it's so long, do people just choose to skip over parts just to get to the end?

I don't want to challenge or doubt anyone's level of intelligence in this wonderful forum, but did anyone pick up on the fact that it happened long ago. I was inexperienced when it came to gambling and he was not clear as to what he wanted me to do with this cue?

Feel free to call me names. If it makes you feel better and that you're just superior to me, then go for it!

I shared an early gambling experience hoping others would share theirs. I was definitely not starting a thread to get myself flamed! If I had the chance to do it today, the outcome would be a lot different because I've had plenty of gambling experience, but I'm glad to see perfect people coming out to judge those of us that admittedly made mistakes when we were younger.

PC_John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Well, you did say he said hold it foe now.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I wish people gave their cue to me when they lost instead of saying I'll be right back....and never saw them again. Anyway good story. I hope the other guy learned from it.
John Candy would have given up a set of Shower Curtains Rings as collateral. Would the winner be a douche if he sold them.

Brozif

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, you did say he said hold it foe now.

Actually, he said that I could have his cue for now. But I did not know what he meant by that. At that time I thought he meant that he we would play again, so that he could win his money and cue back.

I know the difference now and admit that I made a mistake back then that I wouldn't make today. I chalk it up to my inexperience and his lack of clarification.

Look at it like this. If you have no experience gambling for more than $2 a game with friends, then somebody asks you to play for $5 a game, and you think this would be a great experience to learn from someone I thought was a far better player than me. Only to get out of hand and end up $1000 ahead only to find out that he only had the $400 that he already gave me out of the $1000. When he gave me the cue I had no idea as to what it's worth was. I'm playing with a $120 cue. When the other guy offers me $2500 from a cue that I got for $600, how could I pass that up?

Again, I was not aware of gambling protocol and being so new that I didn't know what a "spot" was, if that was me, I would have made sure that My intentions were clear!

This would never happen today, because I know better! I would not have done what happened had I known what I know today!

Last edited: