4x8 butterfly pool case

Hugh Jass

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looking for info on a 4x8 butterfly case,i have a 4x8 JB rugged but think they are to tight when they are full, looking for something that is high quality and that will protect my cues and also last, I have seen some pros use a cuetech but have not seen any for sale, I have also seen the JB butterfly but they look like they are very large in size, what info do you have on any butterfly cases, thanks for the help

Keith E.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a Castillo and it's a very nice piece of work.

Keith

Last edited:

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many 4x8 butterfly cases really don't handle a true 4X8 configuration very well. I found, like you, that when you load two butts and four shafts on one side of the case- up and down- they are VERY cramped and hard to get the shaft on the end sides out or into the case. I strongly suggest actually trying a case before you spend the $$$ if you fully intend to load it to the max on a regular basis. I like the butterfly design and never really use it as a 4X8- so it works fairly well for me as one of my cases- but not always!

tommyhill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Castillo

Gill Castillo
Castillo leather goods
A combination of a great guy to deal with and a great case.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Gill Castillo
Castillo leather goods
A combination of a great guy to deal with and a great case.

+3 on Gil Castillo being great guy and making great cases...

but...

before rejecting the idea of a JB Rugged 4 x 8 due to tightness when full, I use one regularly and often I have need for it to be full. Here is a tip on loading and unloading that should eliminate any 'too tight' issues:

Simply load the butts in their sections before putting the shafts in - that's what works for me, no more tightness issue. :thumbup: fyi, I put the bumper end of butts in first then tip end of shafts.

acedonkeyace

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Find a Used— Silver Fox 4x8

From Washington state, these are one of The best butterfly cases
, I ah e seen and personally used— size, weight protection, leather with quality vinyl partS, pockets and zippers are quality and built to last.

I have had one for almost 20 years, all I have Dont is a upgrade to the shoulder strap mounting point, thicker material in leather with double rivets and was perfect and no other issues—

BigBoof

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently upgraded to a leather jb butterfly case from a rugged butterfly. The rugged one could easily hold at full capacity. The leather one cannot. I think the problem is the case is too snug too hold the fully loaded insert, or maybe just the insert is the problem.

I briefly experimented with a tennis wrap on a butt, Strickland style, and it fit fine in the rugged with one shaft empty.

I load my cases shafts first tips up, then butts pin down.

I wouldn’t hesitate to get a JB butterfly case.

On the other hand, I also have a Predator Blak butterfly case. While I am impressed how the smaller pockets have a specific spot for everything, I cannot forgive them for not providing complete protection to my cues. Internally, the tubes’ fabric stops short so your butt can touch the shafts. I have dropped a washer down a shaft tube and pull it out of the other. Unforgivable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

radge69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a JB 4x8 butterfly. I load butts and shafts joint down. I use joint protectors on everything. To fully load the case, I put the shafts in 1st, then load the butts in. It's fairly tight, but everything fits fine. If you have other stuff in the inside of your case besides the cue holder insert, then it can be tough to zip the case shut. Otherwise I've never had an issue.

I also have a 4x8 Silver Fox that was mentioned above. It was a great case when I bought it, but it pales in comparison to the JB. The JB is superior in every way to that case. If you or anyone decides they want a silver fox, send me a message and we can work out a deal for mine.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a JB 4x8 butterfly. I load butts and shafts joint down. I use joint protectors on everything. To fully load the case, I put the shafts in 1st, then load the butts in. It's fairly tight, but everything fits fine. If you have other stuff in the inside of your case besides the cue holder insert, then it can be tough to zip the case shut. Otherwise I've never had an issue.

I also have a 4x8 Silver Fox that was mentioned above. It was a great case when I bought it, but it pales in comparison to the JB. The JB is superior in every way to that case. If you or anyone decides they want a silver fox, send me a message and we can work out a deal for mine.

Maybe its me, but loading and unloading shafts into a case with the joint side DOWN is not my idea of a good case- who wants to be pulling out your shafts by the cue tips???
I have a Joe Porper USA made 4X8 butterfly and getting a true 4X8 set in and out of that case is not fun at all- I never use it that way, and the case is made very, very well- but 4X8 is a STRETCH- no pun intended!

BigBoof

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe its me, but loading and unloading shafts into a case with the joint side DOWN is not my idea of a good case- who wants to be pulling out your shafts by the cue tips???

I have a Joe Porper USA made 4X8 butterfly and getting a true 4X8 set in and out of that case is not fun at all- I never use it that way, and the case is made very, very well- but 4X8 is a STRETCH- no pun intended!
I put joint end in first to keep the case clean. Chalky tips up.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a 6x12 case Gil made me years ago.
Surprisingly, it’s only a little larger than his 4x8.
My case is Ringtail Lizard and I’ll post pics later.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I put joint end in first to keep the case clean. Chalky tips up.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Why not just wipe the tips off on the carpeted floor before you put them back into your case...like SVB does? :shrug:

Maniac (Did I just say that???)