Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page How to shoot this shot
Page 3 of 7 123 45 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#31)
Nullus
AzB Silver Member
Nullus has a reputation beyond reputeNullus has a reputation beyond reputeNullus has a reputation beyond reputeNullus has a reputation beyond reputeNullus has a reputation beyond reputeNullus has a reputation beyond reputeNullus has a reputation beyond reputeNullus has a reputation beyond reputeNullus has a reputation beyond reputeNullus has a reputation beyond reputeNullus has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 700

04-02-2014, 05:11 AM

From that setup, I would shoot for the opposite side corner (upper left) with low. If it were any farther down table (to the left in picture), I would go bottom left pocket and aim on the cue ball would depend on how much further down table it was.

Schon Ltd2205
Schon SL14
Cuetec Devastator
Pooldawg8 Milk Duds
CueShark

Its best to learn both ways
Old
  (#32)
wutang
THE DEADLY GAMESMAN
wutang has a reputation beyond reputewutang has a reputation beyond reputewutang has a reputation beyond reputewutang has a reputation beyond reputewutang has a reputation beyond reputewutang has a reputation beyond reputewutang has a reputation beyond reputewutang has a reputation beyond reputewutang has a reputation beyond reputewutang has a reputation beyond reputewutang has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Its best to learn both ways - 04-02-2014, 06:02 AM

It all about preference, comfort and effectiveness. Either pocket will do. But you have to be effective for both pockets mainly because if this shot comes up in a game of 1 pocket (if you play), and this is the game ball, what is one going to have to do? And technically, anything outside of center ball or follow ball you're 'throwing' the object ball. That's the purpose of the 'english'. To keep the ball on its target line and to avoid the scratch.

Wutang

SHAOLIN KUNG FU TO SURVIVE MUST NOW BE TAUGHT TO MORE YOUNG MEN. WE MUST EXPAND, GET MORE PUPILS, SO THAT THE KNOWLEDGE WILL SPREAD!!

Also, check out some items in my album thats for sale.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/album.php?u=58400

If you like something, shoot me a pm.

Old
  (#33)
ssbn610g
AzB Silver Member
ssbn610g has a reputation beyond reputessbn610g has a reputation beyond reputessbn610g has a reputation beyond reputessbn610g has a reputation beyond reputessbn610g has a reputation beyond reputessbn610g has a reputation beyond reputessbn610g has a reputation beyond reputessbn610g has a reputation beyond reputessbn610g has a reputation beyond reputessbn610g has a reputation beyond reputessbn610g has a reputation beyond repute

04-02-2014, 06:20 AM

Cool. This is very close to one of my practice shots and I shoot it both ways. Not a real hard shot but there is a bit of danger of scratching unless you are attentive. If I am cutting it to the left I like to shoot it with a bit of low right. Cutting it to the right I like a bit of low left. In both cases the english throws the shot a bit and the low stops the CB forward progress.

I think the shot comes down to shooting the shot the way it is more comfortable for you.

Old
  (#34)
Swighey
AzB Silver Member
Swighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond repute

04-02-2014, 07:25 AM

Either corner. Just don't miss. On a sh1t table top left (according to OP diagram) every time with low. On a good table I'd probably go for bottom left most of the time if I'd been playing well as I'll have something approaching half a chance if I miss.

Both shots are ridiculously easy. And missable depending on context.

Old
  (#35)
hang-the-9
AzB Silver Member
hang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

04-02-2014, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPT View Post
I must be crazy because I favor the bottom left corner pocket. I set it up on my table and the angle is actually alot shallower on a real table than what it looks like on the above diagram.
Seems there is a bit of confusion as to how to call the pockets in a few posts LOL. The diagram is facing sideways but what you would call top right or left is still the top of the table looking at it from the foot spot. I think when you say "bottom left" you mean "top left" as viewed from a normal table diagram.

So the corner pocket at the "top" of the screen as we see the picture on the post would be "top right", the one on the lower left side is "top left". If you say you are shooting "bottom left", means you are banking the ball to the other side of the table.

"I'll back you against anyone, as long as you did not know you were playng for money"

Charter member of the D-Bag Club, we stick to the letter of the rules not the spirit, and up yours!

Old
  (#36)
uwate
daydreaming about pool
uwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 62
  Send a message via MSN to uwate  
04-02-2014, 07:47 AM

The bottom corner pocket plays bigger since you can hit the rail going in and it still goes. That said the top corner pocket shot is easier for me to "see" the shot and id likely go for that. The deciding factor for me would be how comfortable I feel with controlling the cueball after the shot. Shooting it into the bottom corner you will have more movement on the cueball and you have the side pocket to contend with.

Old
  (#37)
BRussell
AzB Silver Member
BRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond repute

04-02-2014, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwate View Post
The bottom corner pocket plays bigger since you can hit the rail going in and it still goes. That said the top corner pocket shot is easier for me to "see" the shot and id likely go for that.
That's exactly how I see it too. The shot down the rail has a higher margin of error but the shot through the middle of the table is easier to see.

Shots like this often come up where you're lined up right between two pockets, and there's often a trade-off between one pocket appearing more open and the rail providing a funnel for the other pocket.

I'm thinking that we are often averse to "back cuts" due to visibility and so pick the wrong shot with the lower margin of error.

Old
  (#38)
JohnPT
"Prove it!"
JohnPT has a reputation beyond reputeJohnPT has a reputation beyond reputeJohnPT has a reputation beyond reputeJohnPT has a reputation beyond reputeJohnPT has a reputation beyond reputeJohnPT has a reputation beyond reputeJohnPT has a reputation beyond reputeJohnPT has a reputation beyond reputeJohnPT has a reputation beyond reputeJohnPT has a reputation beyond reputeJohnPT has a reputation beyond repute

04-02-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hang-the-9 View Post
Seems there is a bit of confusion as to how to call the pockets in a few posts LOL. The diagram is facing sideways but what you would call top right or left is still the top of the table looking at it from the foot spot. I think when you say "bottom left" you mean "top left" as viewed from a normal table diagram.

So the corner pocket at the "top" of the screen as we see the picture on the post would be "top right", the one on the lower left side is "top left". If you say you are shooting "bottom left", means you are banking the ball to the other side of the table.
You are confusing me. I called the pocket based on how it is pictured on the first post from my point of view here sitting on a chair in front of the computer and not as I would view it if I was actually at the table getting down on the shot. It's a backcut.

Anybody that banks this ball must not have much confidence in their pocketing or is from Kentucky.

This is my poolcue. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My poolcue is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My poolcue, without me, is useless. Without my poolcue, I am useless...

Old
  (#39)
bdorman
Dead money
bdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond repute

04-02-2014, 08:04 AM

My preference is lower lefthand pocket. Yes, it's a smaller opening but it's also closer to the OB. Bottom line is I can see backcuts pretty well; I'm less confident on long, cross-table cut shots. Confidence is the key factor in any shot.

The more I practice, the luckier I get. --- Gary Player

I care not for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it. --- Abraham Lincoln

Judge a man by his questions rather than by his answers. --- Voltaire

Old
  (#40)
Zphix
AzB Silver Member
Zphix has a reputation beyond reputeZphix has a reputation beyond reputeZphix has a reputation beyond reputeZphix has a reputation beyond reputeZphix has a reputation beyond reputeZphix has a reputation beyond reputeZphix has a reputation beyond reputeZphix has a reputation beyond reputeZphix has a reputation beyond reputeZphix has a reputation beyond reputeZphix has a reputation beyond repute

04-02-2014, 08:09 AM

Hmmm =P

Because the bank shot is along the natural angle from the 0 diamond to the 2 diamond then it's a straightforward bank... and I love bank shots =)

Old
  (#41)
Bambu
Dave Manasseri
Bambu has a reputation beyond reputeBambu has a reputation beyond reputeBambu has a reputation beyond reputeBambu has a reputation beyond reputeBambu has a reputation beyond reputeBambu has a reputation beyond reputeBambu has a reputation beyond reputeBambu has a reputation beyond reputeBambu has a reputation beyond reputeBambu has a reputation beyond reputeBambu has a reputation beyond repute

04-02-2014, 08:13 AM

And the survey says: Either pocket can work, so there is no "correct" answer. Its whatever feels better at the time, on that particular table.

Old
  (#42)
hang-the-9
AzB Silver Member
hang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

04-02-2014, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPT View Post
You are confusing me. I called the pocket based on how it is pictured on the first post from my point of view here sitting on a chair in front of the computer and not as I would view it if I was actually at the table getting down on the shot. It's a backcut.

Anybody that banks this ball must not have much confidence in their pocketing or is from Kentucky.
Yep, that's what you view on the screen, but when describing the shot, don't you think that a standard reference of the table should be used? Top Right pocket is always Top Right as you are viewing it form the breaking position. That way table orientation does not matter.

I'm just saying that because in commentating people would say Top Left when they mean how THEY view it, where the shop may be Bottom Left or Top Right from the player shooting it. And then you have 30 seconds of them explaining what they mean by that hehe. Having the same standard of describing things prevents that.

"I'll back you against anyone, as long as you did not know you were playng for money"

Charter member of the D-Bag Club, we stick to the letter of the rules not the spirit, and up yours!

Old
  (#43)
Swighey
AzB Silver Member
Swighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond repute

04-02-2014, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hang-the-9 View Post
Yep, that's what you view on the screen, but when describing the shot, don't you think that a standard reference of the table should be used? Top Right pocket is always Top Right as you are viewing it form the breaking position. That way table orientation does not matter.

I'm just saying that because in commentating people would say Top Left when they mean how THEY view it, where the shop may be Bottom Left or Top Right from the player shooting it. And then you have 30 seconds of them explaining what they mean by that hehe. Having the same standard of describing things prevents that.
Actually, describing it as it is seen in the OPs image prevents the confusion that just happened.

Old
  (#44)
Andrew Manning
Aspiring know-it-all
Andrew Manning has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Manning has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Manning has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Manning has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Manning has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Manning has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Manning has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Manning has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Manning has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Manning has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Manning has a reputation beyond repute

04-02-2014, 09:05 AM

From this angle, the back-cut all the way. Just a small amount more angle, and I'd go with the other corner. Everyone who's saying the back-cut is harder to see, look at the rotated diagram in post #20. It's a pretty mild angle, and at medium-slow speed you can get away with hitting the rail near the pocket. It's the other cut that's tough for me to judge.

-Andrew

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

If you knew what you didn't know, you wouldn't not know it. -Danny Diliberto

Old
  (#45)
danomano
AzB Silver Member
danomano has a reputation beyond reputedanomano has a reputation beyond reputedanomano has a reputation beyond reputedanomano has a reputation beyond reputedanomano has a reputation beyond reputedanomano has a reputation beyond reputedanomano has a reputation beyond reputedanomano has a reputation beyond reputedanomano has a reputation beyond reputedanomano has a reputation beyond reputedanomano has a reputation beyond repute

04-02-2014, 09:17 AM

I think this really depends on the table. If it's a tight pocket table then there is no question its a top left corner short. If its a loose pocket table though, i think the bottom left is better. If its set up exactly right, there is no scratch with a center ball hit on the bottom left corner, or if you are like some who like to play that shot with low, it should stay clear of the side scratch.

no 100% right answer here though - some folks see back cuts easier than open side cuts (assuming you are a righty - reverse for lefties).

Page 3 of 7 123 45 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: