Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page What to eat before a long tournament
Page 2 of 3 12 3

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
chicken tenders
Old
  (#16)
btown
AzB Silver Member
btown has a reputation beyond reputebtown has a reputation beyond reputebtown has a reputation beyond reputebtown has a reputation beyond reputebtown has a reputation beyond reputebtown has a reputation beyond reputebtown has a reputation beyond reputebtown has a reputation beyond reputebtown has a reputation beyond reputebtown has a reputation beyond reputebtown has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

chicken tenders - 03-12-2015, 12:45 PM

Start by eating chicken tenders. And keep eating them until you lose. Most likely you will win. If you eat chicken tenders and still lose a match find the nearest Chili's and get the chili con queso and a margaritta. Usually at this point i have already given up....

Old
  (#17)
philly
AzB Silver Member
philly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond repute

03-12-2015, 12:54 PM

Thanks for all your suggestions. I'm thinking pasta the night before, a small steak and 2 hard boiled eggs for breakfast two hours before, protein bars during, and water throughout the day.

Pool may not build character but it certainly will reveal it.

"Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis" Unencumbered By The Thought Process

How do you feel? Fast and loose, man.

Old
  (#18)
danomano
AzB Silver Member
danomano has a reputation beyond reputedanomano has a reputation beyond reputedanomano has a reputation beyond reputedanomano has a reputation beyond reputedanomano has a reputation beyond reputedanomano has a reputation beyond reputedanomano has a reputation beyond reputedanomano has a reputation beyond reputedanomano has a reputation beyond reputedanomano has a reputation beyond reputedanomano has a reputation beyond repute

03-12-2015, 12:59 PM

I actually have a lot of trouble playing good pool after eating steak, again unless that is in your normal breakfast routine. I would lean more toward a small breakfast sandwich with eggs and bacon or sausage. The higher fat content is actually good for additional energy. You will need some carbs to get through the day as well. Steak and eggs is just too heavy IMO.

Old
  (#19)
thintowin
thin2win
thintowin has a reputation beyond reputethintowin has a reputation beyond reputethintowin has a reputation beyond reputethintowin has a reputation beyond reputethintowin has a reputation beyond reputethintowin has a reputation beyond reputethintowin has a reputation beyond reputethintowin has a reputation beyond reputethintowin has a reputation beyond reputethintowin has a reputation beyond reputethintowin has a reputation beyond repute

03-12-2015, 01:10 PM

shot of whiskey and a couple of beers and a bag of salted nuts. otherwise don't depart from your normal routine. don't eat to much but you don't want your stomach growling unless it scares your opponent. good luck.

Old
  (#20)
Floppage
True Beginner
Floppage has a reputation beyond reputeFloppage has a reputation beyond reputeFloppage has a reputation beyond reputeFloppage has a reputation beyond reputeFloppage has a reputation beyond reputeFloppage has a reputation beyond reputeFloppage has a reputation beyond reputeFloppage has a reputation beyond reputeFloppage has a reputation beyond reputeFloppage has a reputation beyond reputeFloppage has a reputation beyond repute

03-12-2015, 01:17 PM

This is one of those rare moments where my experience outside of pool might apply.

A lot of people like to think "carb up the night before" but the truth is that most of those nutrients are either burned up right away as simple sugars or aren't really processed and available until the end of the following day if not later. (digestion miles may vary)

Honestly, your last shot at getting actual nutrients into your system is breakfast (possibly an early lunch) the day before. What you eat for dinner should be more about feeling full enough to sleep but not so full you're bloated. Try not to eat anything new or complicated.

Physical activity will consume a combination of glycogen and fat at a ratio based on the level of activity. Sprinting burns almost all glycogen and no fat. Walking slowly burns a higher ratio of fat. So, really the concept of carbing up for pool probably doesn't make too much sense as it relates to the physical side.

However, your brain functions best on glycogen. It will burn that for it's activity first and fall back to the fat only as necessary. Have you ever felt your mind become fuzzy when you haven't eaten in awhile? That's most likely your brain trying to work with an insufficient glycogen store.

My recommendation is to eat something somewhat filling with two servings of protein, one serving of grain, one fruit and one vegetable the day before somewhat early in the day. That will process and be available to your system during the event. Eat a balanced dinner but the point there will be more about ensuring good sleep. To help keep your mind alert and active I'd recommend staying just a hint above hungry for as much of the day as possible. To keep your energy up, take with you some kind of carb snack you can consume during the event at regular intervals. (clif bars, fruit, raisins, etc.) You want something relatively easy to convert to glycogen but not sweet and sugary to avoid the resulting high and low. I would avoid eating any big meals during the event. You'll end up converting your body's attention to your stomach and the drain on your energy levels from digestion will make you tired. If you're hungry during the event but don't feel you need more carbs I recommend almonds or cashews as a snack. They will fill you up without creating a carb or sugar high.

On the other hand, buffalo wings taste better so feel free to throw out all of this advice. It's just leftover from a few too many years of endurance events.

Old
  (#21)
BmoreMoney
AzB Silver Member
BmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond repute

03-12-2015, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly View Post
Will be in a tournament possibly lasting up to 14 hours. Any thoughts on what to eat before the Tournament? Carbs the night before? Protein the morning of? Power bars during?
Beans.... Lots of Beans! It'll give u that secret little edge!

Old
  (#22)
Baxter
Out To Win
Baxter has a reputation beyond reputeBaxter has a reputation beyond reputeBaxter has a reputation beyond reputeBaxter has a reputation beyond reputeBaxter has a reputation beyond reputeBaxter has a reputation beyond reputeBaxter has a reputation beyond reputeBaxter has a reputation beyond reputeBaxter has a reputation beyond reputeBaxter has a reputation beyond reputeBaxter has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25

03-12-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floppage View Post
This is one of those rare moments where my experience outside of pool might apply.

A lot of people like to think "carb up the night before" but the truth is that most of those nutrients are either burned up right away as simple sugars or aren't really processed and available until the end of the following day if not later. (digestion miles may vary)

Honestly, your last shot at getting actual nutrients into your system is breakfast (possibly an early lunch) the day before. What you eat for dinner should be more about feeling full enough to sleep but not so full you're bloated. Try not to eat anything new or complicated.

Physical activity will consume a combination of glycogen and fat at a ratio based on the level of activity. Sprinting burns almost all glycogen and no fat. Walking slowly burns a higher ratio of fat. So, really the concept of carbing up for pool probably doesn't make too much sense as it relates to the physical side.

However, your brain functions best on glycogen. It will burn that for it's activity first and fall back to the fat only as necessary. Have you ever felt your mind become fuzzy when you haven't eaten in awhile? That's most likely your brain trying to work with an insufficient glycogen store.

My recommendation is to eat something somewhat filling with two servings of protein, one serving of grain, one fruit and one vegetable the day before somewhat early in the day. That will process and be available to your system during the event. Eat a balanced dinner but the point there will be more about ensuring good sleep. To help keep your mind alert and active I'd recommend staying just a hint above hungry for as much of the day as possible. To keep your energy up, take with you some kind of carb snack you can consume during the event at regular intervals. (clif bars, fruit, raisins, etc.) You want something relatively easy to convert to glycogen but not sweet and sugary to avoid the resulting high and low. I would avoid eating any big meals during the event. You'll end up converting your body's attention to your stomach and the drain on your energy levels from digestion will make you tired. If you're hungry during the event but don't feel you need more carbs I recommend almonds or cashews as a snack. They will fill you up without creating a carb or sugar high.

On the other hand, buffalo wings taste better so feel free to throw out all of this advice. It's just leftover from a few too many years of endurance events.
The man knows his shit. I'd heed this advice.

"Are you gonna bark all day little doggie? Or are you gonna bite?" - Mr. Blonde

Old
  (#23)
De420MadHatter
SicBiNature
De420MadHatter has a reputation beyond reputeDe420MadHatter has a reputation beyond reputeDe420MadHatter has a reputation beyond reputeDe420MadHatter has a reputation beyond reputeDe420MadHatter has a reputation beyond reputeDe420MadHatter has a reputation beyond reputeDe420MadHatter has a reputation beyond reputeDe420MadHatter has a reputation beyond reputeDe420MadHatter has a reputation beyond reputeDe420MadHatter has a reputation beyond reputeDe420MadHatter has a reputation beyond repute

03-12-2015, 02:48 PM

Nothing for me. I have also done alot of endurance events from marathons, triathlons, mud runs, etc... Pool isn't even in the same category. I always feel sluggish after I eat while playing, even if it's not much. Maybe it's a mental thing but I never eat when I am playing. If my metabolism is up and running hard like during an endurance event, I have no problems eating everything I can get my hands on which usually isn't much lol.

Old
  (#24)
Floppage
True Beginner
Floppage has a reputation beyond reputeFloppage has a reputation beyond reputeFloppage has a reputation beyond reputeFloppage has a reputation beyond reputeFloppage has a reputation beyond reputeFloppage has a reputation beyond reputeFloppage has a reputation beyond reputeFloppage has a reputation beyond reputeFloppage has a reputation beyond reputeFloppage has a reputation beyond reputeFloppage has a reputation beyond repute

03-12-2015, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by De420MadHatter View Post
Nothing for me. I have also done alot of endurance events from marathons, triathlons, mud runs, etc... Pool isn't even in the same category. I always feel sluggish after I eat while playing, even if it's not much. Maybe it's a mental thing but I never eat when I am playing. If my metabolism is up and running hard like during an endurance event, I have no problems eating everything I can get my hands on which usually isn't much lol.
Yeah, most people who have done longer events (especially ultras) are used to staying hungry comfortably for long stretches at a time. I actually think your mind is a little more sharp if you can achieve that state without your glycogen levels getting too low.

Not everyone is comfortable like that though and might be distracted by the feeling if they aren't used to it. For those people I usually recommend something to snack on as needed. Not to fill up but just to take some of the edge off the hunger and make it less of a distraction.

Old
  (#25)
Colonel
Living The Dream
Colonel has a reputation beyond reputeColonel has a reputation beyond reputeColonel has a reputation beyond reputeColonel has a reputation beyond reputeColonel has a reputation beyond reputeColonel has a reputation beyond reputeColonel has a reputation beyond reputeColonel has a reputation beyond reputeColonel has a reputation beyond reputeColonel has a reputation beyond reputeColonel has a reputation beyond repute

03-12-2015, 03:35 PM

I'm also a proponent of not eating much. Prior to serious play I will eat fruit or perhaps mushrooms sautéed in olive oil. Then water & lots of it while playing

Kentucky Fried Lock of the World Famous Lock Society

"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom... You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough"
-William Blake

Old
  (#26)
poolplaya1
AzB Silver Member
poolplaya1 has a reputation beyond reputepoolplaya1 has a reputation beyond reputepoolplaya1 has a reputation beyond reputepoolplaya1 has a reputation beyond reputepoolplaya1 has a reputation beyond reputepoolplaya1 has a reputation beyond reputepoolplaya1 has a reputation beyond reputepoolplaya1 has a reputation beyond reputepoolplaya1 has a reputation beyond reputepoolplaya1 has a reputation beyond reputepoolplaya1 has a reputation beyond repute

10-13-2015, 07:26 PM

I eat nothing for 3-4 hours before leagues or a tournament.

Believe it or not when playing all day I just don't eat. I play better as the day goes on too. I may have a gatorade during the middle of the day and try to stretch it out over 3 hours, then back to water.

This won't work for everyone and I am not sure why it works for me?

Old
  (#27)
arps
tirador (ng pansit)
arps has a reputation beyond reputearps has a reputation beyond reputearps has a reputation beyond reputearps has a reputation beyond reputearps has a reputation beyond reputearps has a reputation beyond reputearps has a reputation beyond reputearps has a reputation beyond reputearps has a reputation beyond reputearps has a reputation beyond reputearps has a reputation beyond repute

10-13-2015, 07:30 PM

rice and adobo!

"Ang bilyar ay mahiwaga."
- Efren

Old
  (#28)
Lonestar_jim
Two & Out
Lonestar_jim has a reputation beyond reputeLonestar_jim has a reputation beyond reputeLonestar_jim has a reputation beyond reputeLonestar_jim has a reputation beyond reputeLonestar_jim has a reputation beyond reputeLonestar_jim has a reputation beyond reputeLonestar_jim has a reputation beyond reputeLonestar_jim has a reputation beyond reputeLonestar_jim has a reputation beyond reputeLonestar_jim has a reputation beyond reputeLonestar_jim has a reputation beyond repute

10-13-2015, 07:57 PM

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/2218942

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

Money - Bag
(D-bag club, self appointed Treasurer)

Old
  (#29)
Tramp Steamer
One Pocket enthusiast.
Tramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond repute

10-13-2015, 08:00 PM

When I got to the tournament, and before my first match, I would eat from six to eight candy bars (my favorites were Zeros, and Snickers). About half way through a race to five I would get such an insulin rush that I'd damn near pass out.
By doing that I could withdraw from the tournament without too much embarrassment.

Steamer Cue Sports Ltd. Purveyor of two fine quality cues, the Miracle, and the Wonder. Our motto says it all: "If it's a good cue, it's a Wonder." "If it's a straight cue, it's a Miracle."

I am a member in good standing in the Lock Society as: Tramp Lock.

Old
  (#30)
Black Cat 5791
I get all the Breaks
Black Cat 5791 has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Cat 5791 has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Cat 5791 has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Cat 5791 has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Cat 5791 has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Cat 5791 has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Cat 5791 has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Cat 5791 has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Cat 5791 has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Cat 5791 has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Cat 5791 has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via MSN to Black Cat 5791  
10-13-2015, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyStroke View Post
^^^this^^^. He plays in long tournaments and rides in centuries, he knows his stuff. I used to be a distance runner and a cyclist and this is pretty much what I did. Stay away from artificial sugars. If you get sluggish, have a banana or an apple. RED BULL IS BADDDDD.

Ben

Edit: I prefer Jameson's to Jager
Hey Ben I don't have a Dog in this Fight, I just wanted to say Hi. Been awhile how you been?

Kevin

http://www.blackcatpooltour.wix.com/bcpt

APA Senior Division League Rep.
APA S/L: 8 Ball 6, 9 Ball 7
Playing Cue: Predator Special Edition SE-3
Playing Shaft: Predator REVO 12.4 w/ Kamui Clear Med
Back Up Shaft: Predator 314/3 w/ Kamui Clear Med
Break Cue: Predator BKRush
Jump Cue: Predator Air 2
Case: Predator Sport 3x4

Page 2 of 3 12 3

Rate This Thread