Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Instruction & Ask the pros > Ask The Instructor
Reload this Page advice on shooting JACKED UP FOR DRAW
Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2
 
Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
advice on shooting JACKED UP FOR DRAW
Old
  (#1)
bbb
AzB Silver Member

bbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 7,407
vCash: 1700
iTrader: 44 / 100%
Blog Entries: 2
Join Date: Mar 2008
   
advice on shooting JACKED UP FOR DRAW - 08-04-2015, 05:03 PM

if the cue ball is very close to the rail
and i have draw back for shape
i consistently over cut the ball
any advice
on how to shoot a JACKED UP draw shot???
  
Reply With Quote

Old
  (#2)
victorl
Where'd my stroke go?
victorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond repute
 
victorl's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 2,571
vCash: 1700
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Tokyo, Japan
   
08-04-2015, 05:23 PM

I had trouble with that shot for a long time as well, and I approach them like I would a jump shot.

Some tips that helped me are:

Hold the cue higher up, near the top of the wrap with the grip hand.
Use a more closed stance (both feet nearly in line with the shot)
With the feet set in a closed a stance, line up the shot with flat cue to aim first, then carefully jack up while maintaining the same line.

I think it's just a matter of practice and getting a feel for the alignment. Good luck!
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#3)
bbb
AzB Silver Member

bbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 7,407
vCash: 1700
iTrader: 44 / 100%
Blog Entries: 2
Join Date: Mar 2008
   
08-04-2015, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorl View Post
I had trouble with that shot for a long time as well, and I approach them like I would a jump shot.

Some tips that helped me are:

Hold the cue higher up, near the top of the wrap with the grip hand.
Use a more closed stance (both feet nearly in line with the shot)
With the feet set in a closed a stance, line up the shot with flat cue to aim first, then carefully jack up while maintaining the same line.

I think it's just a matter of practice and getting a feel for the alignment. Good luck!
thanks for the advice
ill try it
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#4)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member
Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute
 
Bob Jewett's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 18,178
vCash: 1700
iTrader: 14 / 100%
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Berkeley, CA
   
08-04-2015, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorl View Post
... With the feet set in a closed a stance, line up the shot with flat cue to aim first, then carefully jack up while maintaining the same line. ...
I think this is the most important part. Make sure your bridge doesn't move as you raise up.


Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#5)
mattp
AzB Silver Member
mattp has a reputation beyond reputemattp has a reputation beyond reputemattp has a reputation beyond reputemattp has a reputation beyond reputemattp has a reputation beyond reputemattp has a reputation beyond reputemattp has a reputation beyond reputemattp has a reputation beyond reputemattp has a reputation beyond reputemattp has a reputation beyond reputemattp has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 75
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Jun 2011
   
08-05-2015, 01:29 AM

If you overcut when cutting to right and left then perhaps you tend to aim with a bit of outside english on most shots. When your jacked up it becomes masse. If that's the case, make sure you're exactly center ball.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#6)
FranCrimi
AzB Silver Member
FranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 3,860
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Dec 2010
   
08-05-2015, 05:43 AM

With jacked-up shots, any flaws in your fundamentals will become pronounced.

This is an advanced shot and requires a great deal of practice. Take more time when you get down over the shot ---- double, triple and quadruple-check your alignment. You have to be perfect on this one. Your alignment can't be the slightest bit off.

Your bridge hand absolutely CAN NOT move at all during your stroke. You must secure it very firmly. Your back hand can not twist --- even the slightest bit --- during the stroke. Focus on keeping your shooting arm perfectly straight through the stroke. Prepare to hold your position extra long after you've hit the ball to insure that you don't move the slightest bit before impact.

That's how you have to think when preparing for and executing this shot.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#7)
bbb
AzB Silver Member

bbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 7,407
vCash: 1700
iTrader: 44 / 100%
Blog Entries: 2
Join Date: Mar 2008
   
08-05-2015, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattp View Post
If you overcut when cutting to right and left then perhaps you tend to aim with a bit of outside english on most shots. When your jacked up it becomes masse. If that's the case, make sure you're exactly center ball.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
I think this is the most important part. Make sure your bridge doesn't move as you raise up.
thanks for the advice
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#8)
bbb
AzB Silver Member

bbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 7,407
vCash: 1700
iTrader: 44 / 100%
Blog Entries: 2
Join Date: Mar 2008
   
08-05-2015, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranCrimi View Post
With jacked-up shots, any flaws in your fundamentals will become pronounced.

This is an advanced shot and requires a great deal of practice. Take more time when you get down over the shot ---- double, triple and quadruple-check your alignment. You have to be perfect on this one. Your alignment can't be the slightest bit off.

Your bridge hand absolutely CAN NOT move at all during your stroke. You must secure it very firmly. Your back hand can not twist --- even the slightest bit --- during the stroke. Focus on keeping your shooting arm perfectly straight through the stroke. Prepare to hold your position extra long after you've hit the ball to insure that you don't move the slightest bit before impact.

That's how you have to think when preparing for and executing this shot.
thanks fran
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#9)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member

Scott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 16,239
vCash: 4100
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Now living in Largo FL
   
08-05-2015, 08:20 AM

Larry...It's the same stroke I've shown you. Aim level, then elevate the cue to the necessary angle and stroke through the CB to the your normal finish on the cloth. Many people make the mistake of stabbing the CB, or lifting the cue in the air after strike. You must have a better stroke shooting jacked up than you do with a level cue...you have much less margin of error.

Scott Lee


PBIA Master Instructor
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#10)
randyg
www.randygpool.com
randyg has a reputation beyond reputerandyg has a reputation beyond reputerandyg has a reputation beyond reputerandyg has a reputation beyond reputerandyg has a reputation beyond reputerandyg has a reputation beyond reputerandyg has a reputation beyond reputerandyg has a reputation beyond reputerandyg has a reputation beyond reputerandyg has a reputation beyond reputerandyg has a reputation beyond repute
 
randyg's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 5,396
vCash: 500
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Dallas, Texas
   
08-05-2015, 03:51 PM

If you are "jacked up", the cue ball may be in the air at contact with the OB.
I just plain practice set shots with an elevated cue.

randyg


Original P.B.I.A Master Instructor
Proud Member of the SPF Family
Co-author of World/BCA Rules
Co-author of Texas Express Rules
Originator of Scotch Doubles
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#11)
bbb
AzB Silver Member

bbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 7,407
vCash: 1700
iTrader: 44 / 100%
Blog Entries: 2
Join Date: Mar 2008
   
08-05-2015, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Lee View Post
Larry...It's the same stroke I've shown you. Aim level, then elevate the cue to the necessary angle and stroke through the CB to the your normal finish on the cloth. Many people make the mistake of stabbing the CB, or lifting the cue in the air after strike. You must have a better stroke shooting jacked up than you do with a level cue...you have much less margin of error.

Scott Lee
scott
thanks for the advice
i try to stroke thru the cue ball and be on a straight line
but im not all on line because of the angle
im alittle sideways with my upper/forearm

Last edited by bbb; 08-06-2015 at 03:11 AM.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#12)
bbb
AzB Silver Member

bbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 7,407
vCash: 1700
iTrader: 44 / 100%
Blog Entries: 2
Join Date: Mar 2008
   
08-05-2015, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyg View Post
If you are "jacked up", the cue ball may be in the air at contact with the OB.
I just plain practice set shots with an elevated cue.

randyg
thanks for the advice

Last edited by bbb; 08-06-2015 at 03:09 AM.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#13)
scottjen26
AzB Silver Member
scottjen26 has a reputation beyond reputescottjen26 has a reputation beyond reputescottjen26 has a reputation beyond reputescottjen26 has a reputation beyond reputescottjen26 has a reputation beyond reputescottjen26 has a reputation beyond reputescottjen26 has a reputation beyond reputescottjen26 has a reputation beyond reputescottjen26 has a reputation beyond reputescottjen26 has a reputation beyond reputescottjen26 has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 1,365
vCash: 500
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Jacksonville, FL
   
08-06-2015, 09:46 AM

My two cents - sometimes your perspective of the shot is skewed due to the elevated nature of the stance. Especially if standing differently, more sideways, etc. And totally agree with other advice, what I do myself - double and triple check alignment, take my time getting into position, really focus on center ball, and try and keep bridge and everything else still.

With practice should be fairly easy to draw back the width of the table from even 1" away from the rail, and with more acceleration even the length of the table, although hopefully that doesn't come up too often... IMO accuracy on the shot is tougher than getting the required action.
Scott
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#14)
bbb
AzB Silver Member

bbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 7,407
vCash: 1700
iTrader: 44 / 100%
Blog Entries: 2
Join Date: Mar 2008
   
08-07-2015, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjen26 View Post
My two cents - sometimes your perspective of the shot is skewed due to the elevated nature of the stance. Especially if standing differently, more sideways, etc. And totally agree with other advice, what I do myself - double and triple check alignment, take my time getting into position, really focus on center ball, and try and keep bridge and everything else still.

With practice should be fairly easy to draw back the width of the table from even 1" away from the rail, and with more acceleration even the length of the table, although hopefully that doesn't come up too often... IMO accuracy on the shot is tougher than getting the required action.
Scott
thanks scott
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#15)
bbb
AzB Silver Member

bbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 7,407
vCash: 1700
iTrader: 44 / 100%
Blog Entries: 2
Join Date: Mar 2008
   
08-10-2015, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorl View Post
I had trouble with that shot for a long time as well, and I approach them like I would a jump shot.

Some tips that helped me are:

Hold the cue higher up, near the top of the wrap with the grip hand.
Use a more closed stance (both feet nearly in line with the shot)
With the feet set in a closed a stance, line up the shot with flat cue to aim first, then carefully jack up while maintaining the same line.

I think it's just a matter of practice and getting a feel for the alignment. Good luck!
victorl
for me the part bolded has helped ALOT
THANKS...
  
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.