Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Somebody explain non-layered tips to me.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Somebody explain non-layered tips to me.
Old
  (#1)
alstl
AzB Silver Member
alstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Somebody explain non-layered tips to me. - 08-13-2015, 07:40 AM

I've been using Everest and I like them but I might switch back to a non-layered tip.

I formerly used Trangle. Not pressed or milked, just regular Triangle out of the box.

What are the pros and cons, is there a type of non-layered which is better than others?

I love the Everest when they are new but after a while they get hard as a rock.

Old
  (#2)
hang-the-9
AzB Silver Member
hang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

08-13-2015, 07:50 AM

I'm sure you've seen the posts on here about the Ki-Tech tips. It's not just marketing, one of the top tips I've used in 25 years, including the original Moori's in that list. Hardness like a Kamui Black Soft after the Ki-Tech gets broken in, but remains soft unlike the Kamui which hardens in a few months. Never needed shaping. People say good things about the Ultraskin tips here but the couple of people I've talked to personally about them did not like them at all.

"I'll back you against anyone, as long as you did not know you were playng for money"

Charter member of the D-Bag Club, we stick to the letter of the rules not the spirit, and up yours!

Old
  (#3)
ZeroSkylineX
AzB Silver Member
ZeroSkylineX has a reputation beyond reputeZeroSkylineX has a reputation beyond reputeZeroSkylineX has a reputation beyond reputeZeroSkylineX has a reputation beyond reputeZeroSkylineX has a reputation beyond reputeZeroSkylineX has a reputation beyond reputeZeroSkylineX has a reputation beyond reputeZeroSkylineX has a reputation beyond reputeZeroSkylineX has a reputation beyond reputeZeroSkylineX has a reputation beyond reputeZeroSkylineX has a reputation beyond repute

08-13-2015, 07:54 AM

With someone who has over 6,000 posts, one would know how to use Google search by now.

http://billiards.colostate.edu/threa...html#laminated

It's all preference, some people prefer the single layered Milk Duds or Ki Tech. Some prefer laminated tips like Ultraskin or Moori.

Cues
Playing Cues
OB-136
11.75mm OB Pro+ Shaft / Ultraskin Hard tip / 19oz

Viking
11.75mm OB Pro+ Custom Shaft / Ultraskin Hard tip / 19oz

Old
  (#4)
Drop The Rock
1652nd on AZ Money List
Drop The Rock has a reputation beyond reputeDrop The Rock has a reputation beyond reputeDrop The Rock has a reputation beyond reputeDrop The Rock has a reputation beyond reputeDrop The Rock has a reputation beyond reputeDrop The Rock has a reputation beyond reputeDrop The Rock has a reputation beyond reputeDrop The Rock has a reputation beyond reputeDrop The Rock has a reputation beyond reputeDrop The Rock has a reputation beyond reputeDrop The Rock has a reputation beyond repute

08-13-2015, 07:54 AM

Outsville.com

Mathers

Proud Dad, Struggling Pool Player

Old
  (#5)
Tramp Steamer
One Pocket enthusiast.
Tramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond repute

08-13-2015, 08:06 AM

Non-layered tips are just that. Non-layered. Single layer tips have only one layer.
You might think about trying the new FourSkin tip from Steamer Cue Sports Ltd. Made with four layers of carefully selected leathers, the FourSkin is guaranteed to meet the demands of today's discerning pool players.
And, coming out this week is the new Multi-cultural FourSkin. Crafted with four layers of White, Black, Asian, and Guatemalan; it's a tip that will most assuredly become a world beater. Get yours today.

Steamer Cue Sports Ltd. Purveyor of two fine quality cues, the Miracle, and the Wonder. Our motto says it all: "If it's a good cue, it's a Wonder." "If it's a straight cue, it's a Miracle."

I am a member in good standing in the Lock Society as: Tramp Lock.

Old
  (#6)
alstl
AzB Silver Member
alstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond repute

08-13-2015, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hang-the-9 View Post
I'm sure you've seen the posts on here about the Ki-Tech tips. It's not just marketing, one of the top tips I've used in 25 years, including the original Moori's in that list. Hardness like a Kamui Black Soft after the Ki-Tech gets broken in, but remains soft unlike the Kamui which hardens in a few months. Never needed shaping. People say good things about the Ultraskin tips here but the couple of people I've talked to personally about them did not like them at all.
No, first I've heard about Ki-Tech. I might give them a try. Do they mushroom?

Old
  (#7)
danomano
AzB Silver Member
danomano has a reputation beyond reputedanomano has a reputation beyond reputedanomano has a reputation beyond reputedanomano has a reputation beyond reputedanomano has a reputation beyond reputedanomano has a reputation beyond reputedanomano has a reputation beyond reputedanomano has a reputation beyond reputedanomano has a reputation beyond reputedanomano has a reputation beyond reputedanomano has a reputation beyond repute

08-13-2015, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramp Steamer View Post
Non-layered tips are just that. Non-layered. Single layer tips have only one layer.
You might think about trying the new FourSkin tip from Steamer Cue Sports Ltd. Made with four layers of carefully selected leathers, the FourSkin is guaranteed to meet the demands of today's discerning pool players.
And, coming out this week is the new Multi-cultural FourSkin. Crafted with four layers of White, Black, Asian, and Guatemalan; it's a tip that will most assuredly become a world beater. Get yours today.
FourSkin tips?

Old
  (#8)
alstl
AzB Silver Member

08-13-2015, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroSkylineX View Post
With someone who has over 6,000 posts, one would know how to use Google search by now.

http://billiards.colostate.edu/threa...html#laminated

It's all preference, some people prefer the single layered Milk Duds or Ki Tech. Some prefer laminated tips like Ultraskin or Moori.
Thanks for the link but for me - speaking only for mystelf - sometimes feedback from people is better than statistics on a website.

Old
  (#9)
hang-the-9
AzB Silver Member
hang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond repute

08-13-2015, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstl View Post
No, first I've heard about Ki-Tech. I might give them a try. Do they mushroom?
I have tried one so far, a Soft, but no mushrooming at all. 0. None.
I have a Medium from them also that I want to try, my son wants to try a new tip so I may install it on his shaft.

Of course that may depend on how the guy that put it on did the install, I think due to whatever they get treated with it needs to be pressed on the sides or cut with a very sharp blade, or something special. The guy that makes them posts quite a bit on here and has all the info.

KMRUNOUT just had a post about them a day or 2 ago also, should still be on the first few pages.

"I'll back you against anyone, as long as you did not know you were playng for money"

Charter member of the D-Bag Club, we stick to the letter of the rules not the spirit, and up yours!

Old
  (#10)
Keith Jawahir
AzB Silver Member
Keith Jawahir has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Jawahir has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Jawahir has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Jawahir has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Jawahir has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Jawahir has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Jawahir has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Jawahir has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Jawahir has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Jawahir has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Jawahir has a reputation beyond repute

08-13-2015, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstl View Post
Thanks for the link but for me - speaking only for mystelf - sometimes feedback from people is better than statistics on a website.
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=404117

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleary View Post
People always try to come up with "what's wrong with pool", "how do we fix pool"... want to know what's wrong with pool? The people who play pool. That's what's wrong with pool. Case closed.

Ki-tech
Old
  (#11)
djv122385
AzB Silver Member
djv122385 has a reputation beyond reputedjv122385 has a reputation beyond reputedjv122385 has a reputation beyond reputedjv122385 has a reputation beyond reputedjv122385 has a reputation beyond reputedjv122385 has a reputation beyond reputedjv122385 has a reputation beyond reputedjv122385 has a reputation beyond reputedjv122385 has a reputation beyond reputedjv122385 has a reputation beyond reputedjv122385 has a reputation beyond repute

Ki-tech - 08-13-2015, 12:02 PM

I read the description on the outsville website, and have always preferred a single layer to a layered tip, but still have a question. Do the ki-tech follow the traditional scale, or is it more like the kamui tips? I know I can feel a huge hardness difference between a kamui medium and any other medium I've ever shot with, just want to make sure I get the right thing.

Old
  (#12)
hang-the-9
AzB Silver Member

08-13-2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djv122385 View Post
I read the description on the outsville website, and have always preferred a single layer to a layered tip, but still have a question. Do the ki-tech follow the traditional scale, or is it more like the kamui tips? I know I can feel a huge hardness difference between a kamui medium and any other medium I've ever shot with, just want to make sure I get the right thing.
The Ki-Tech Soft is really soft. The Kamui Back Soft is more Medium in comparison.
The first day I tried mine, it felt like I was hitting with a marshmallow, a firm leather marshmallow but still very spongy. It firmed up since then, took a few weeks, but it's still quite a soft hit. I have a medium but have not tried it, but going by how the soft plays, I'd say the medium would be close to the Kamui Soft.

Old
  (#13)
SWN99
AzB Silver Member
SWN99 has a reputation beyond reputeSWN99 has a reputation beyond reputeSWN99 has a reputation beyond reputeSWN99 has a reputation beyond reputeSWN99 has a reputation beyond reputeSWN99 has a reputation beyond reputeSWN99 has a reputation beyond reputeSWN99 has a reputation beyond reputeSWN99 has a reputation beyond reputeSWN99 has a reputation beyond reputeSWN99 has a reputation beyond repute

08-13-2015, 12:26 PM

Triangle tips are good (hold their shape well and have good feeling) and cost effective compared to the competition.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Player - Scruggs Merry Widow

Old
  (#14)
gogg
AzB Silver Member
gogg has a reputation beyond reputegogg has a reputation beyond reputegogg has a reputation beyond reputegogg has a reputation beyond reputegogg has a reputation beyond reputegogg has a reputation beyond reputegogg has a reputation beyond reputegogg has a reputation beyond reputegogg has a reputation beyond reputegogg has a reputation beyond reputegogg has a reputation beyond repute

08-13-2015, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danomano View Post
FourSkin tips?

Mazeltov!!

Even a bad day at the table is better than a good day at work!

A man, as a general rule,owes very little to what he is born with.
A man is what he makes of himself.
Alexander Graham Bell

Old
  (#15)
whammo57
Kim Walker
whammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond repute

08-13-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danomano View Post
FourSkin tips?
if you rub a soft tip ............ it becomes a hard tip

sorry........... it's just so easy

LOL

Kim

Walker Custom Cues

Southern Cue Systems

http://www.facebook.com/groups/366326706736784/