cte
Old
  (#1)
cookie man
AzB Silver Member
cookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

cte - 11-20-2015, 01:03 PM

http://xtremepoolchallenge.com/watch-live/#player

Watching Johnny Archer on the stream. He shows all the characteristics of a CTE player.
Not saying he is but if I made a guess than yes he most assuredly is.

Old
  (#2)
HawaiianEye
AzB Silver Member
HawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond repute

11-20-2015, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie man View Post
http://xtremepoolchallenge.com/watch-live/#player

Watching Johnny Archer on the stream. He shows all the characteristics of a CTE player.
Not saying he is but if I made a guess than yes he most assuredly is.
I've been watching the same stream and haven't seen Johnny or Rodney doing anything that looks like a "pivot".

I think it is naive to think a player is using any particular system, unless they tell you or endorse it. I think these players have enough experience to "blend" everything they know into a working system. Hybrid, if you will...bit of this and bit of that.

Old
  (#3)
cookie man
AzB Silver Member
cookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond repute

11-20-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiianEye View Post
I've been watching the same stream and haven't seen Johnny or Rodney doing anything that looks like a "pivot".

I think it is naive to think a player is using any particular system, unless they tell you or endorse it. I think these players have enough experience to "blend" everything they know into a working system. Hybrid, if you will...bit of this and bit of that.
You wouldn't see a pivot unless it was done manually with the bridge hand on the table.
No doubt they use a little bit of this and that but it usually all starts with the aiming part of things.
Johnny sweeps in from left to right on all shots.

Old
  (#4)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

JoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4400

11-20-2015, 02:18 PM

He said he invented one.

Old
  (#5)
Pidge
AzB Silver Member
Pidge has a reputation beyond reputePidge has a reputation beyond reputePidge has a reputation beyond reputePidge has a reputation beyond reputePidge has a reputation beyond reputePidge has a reputation beyond reputePidge has a reputation beyond reputePidge has a reputation beyond reputePidge has a reputation beyond reputePidge has a reputation beyond reputePidge has a reputation beyond repute

11-20-2015, 02:50 PM

All players sweep into the shot one way or the other. How a player eyes a shot and keeps their vision locked on the shot usually dictates how they sweep into the shot. For a player that is using the right eye to sight and is right handed will have a noticable sweep of the cue and body from left to right and the reverse is true for a left eyed player that is right handed... They will generally sweep the body from right to left slightly. Does it mean they're using some form of aiming system? Lol... No. It means they're letting the eyes lead and the body follow.

Old
  (#6)
cookie man
AzB Silver Member

11-20-2015, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
All players sweep into the shot one way or the other. How a player eyes a shot and keeps their vision locked on the shot usually dictates how they sweep into the shot. For a player that is using the right eye to sight and is right handed will have a noticable sweep of the cue and body from left to right and the reverse is true for a left eyed player that is right handed... They will generally sweep the body from right to left slightly. Does it mean they're using some form of aiming system? Lol... No. It means they're letting the eyes lead and the body follow.
Never said he was using one and you are right, the eyes lead and the body follows, one of Stan's favorite lines.
I brought it up because people tend to think there is a lot of unnecessary movement with cte but it really isn't.

Old
  (#7)
scottjen26
AzB Silver Member
scottjen26 has a reputation beyond reputescottjen26 has a reputation beyond reputescottjen26 has a reputation beyond reputescottjen26 has a reputation beyond reputescottjen26 has a reputation beyond reputescottjen26 has a reputation beyond reputescottjen26 has a reputation beyond reputescottjen26 has a reputation beyond reputescottjen26 has a reputation beyond reputescottjen26 has a reputation beyond reputescottjen26 has a reputation beyond repute

11-24-2015, 08:47 AM

Johnny doesn't use CTE, I don't even think he's more than vaguely aware of it, if at all. He also doesn't use or understand any techniques for english compensation (back hand, front hand, etc.), although once again he certainly knows how to compensate based on experience for his equipment.

It's interesting talking to some of these guys about aiming, systems, etc., very foreign to most. Johnny for instance learned when he was a teenager and got really good with just raw talent, practice, etc. I think most professional and high level players are the same way from my conversations with them.

That's not to say the systems aren't beneficial, and maybe the newer Youtube-based generation coming up will be more educated in the more technical aspects of the game and we will see it hit a new level!
Scott

Old
  (#8)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

11-24-2015, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Johnny Archer ... shows all the characteristics of a CTE player.
Quote:
Johnny sweeps in from left to right on all shots.
lol

That's "all the characteristics of a CTE player"? You guys are priceless.

I think every pro shows "all the characteristics" of my favorite way to aim too.

pj
chgo

Old
  (#9)
SpiderWebComm
HelpImBeingOppressed
SpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1275

11-24-2015, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
lol

I think every pro shows "all the characteristics" of my favorite way to aim too.

pj
chgo
Lizard head bobbing? ROTFLMAO

Pat Johnson illustrating the most important move in his aiming system: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA6vmeAtYUs

Viffer: The Movie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JFIy2ebJIE

Last edited by SpiderWebComm; 11-24-2015 at 09:22 AM.

Old
  (#10)
cookie man
AzB Silver Member

11-24-2015, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
lol

pj
chgo
I never see pro's fidgeting,lol.

PS You should start a thread on "fidgeting aiming".

Old
  (#11)
anbukev
AzB Silver Member
anbukev has a reputation beyond reputeanbukev has a reputation beyond reputeanbukev has a reputation beyond reputeanbukev has a reputation beyond reputeanbukev has a reputation beyond reputeanbukev has a reputation beyond reputeanbukev has a reputation beyond reputeanbukev has a reputation beyond reputeanbukev has a reputation beyond reputeanbukev has a reputation beyond reputeanbukev has a reputation beyond repute

11-24-2015, 08:00 PM

Johnny Archer explains in detail how he aims in this TAR podcast:

https://youtu.be/iUT7-RdKdeA?t=42m40s

Old
  (#12)
Straightpool_99
I see dead balls
Straightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond repute

11-24-2015, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyInCali View Post
He said he invented one.
Grady mentioned it in an accu-stat video. He also said something to the effect that Archers stance was further back on the cue than it had been before, which he felt was beneficial. That video was a lot older, obviously.

Last edited by Straightpool_99; 11-24-2015 at 08:12 PM.

Old
  (#13)
Mirza
AzB Silver Member
Mirza has a reputation beyond reputeMirza has a reputation beyond reputeMirza has a reputation beyond reputeMirza has a reputation beyond reputeMirza has a reputation beyond reputeMirza has a reputation beyond reputeMirza has a reputation beyond reputeMirza has a reputation beyond reputeMirza has a reputation beyond reputeMirza has a reputation beyond reputeMirza has a reputation beyond repute

11-25-2015, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anbukev View Post
Johnny Archer explains in detail how he aims in this TAR podcast:

https://youtu.be/iUT7-RdKdeA?t=42m40s
From Johnny's official website (http://www.johnnyarcher.net/ask.html):

"When players write to you, asking how to aim, your pat answer is to say that you get three feet back from the shot, then you shoot parallel lines. That is all hogwash. That is not how you aim. Why don't you level with these recreational players? You use the aiming system whereby you aim the center of the cue ball at the edge of the object ball for any and all shots. You know exactly what I am talking about. We both know about placing the cue tip either left or right of cue ball center, and you know why we do that. Get honest for a change. These recreational players are no threat. Tell them the truth. - Hal Houle"

"I really don't know why you keep writing about my aiming system. Everybody that is listening, IT IS MY AIMING SYSTEM. I hope this would relieve some pressure that you have. Thanks, Johnny"

Old
  (#14)
cookie man
AzB Silver Member

11-25-2015, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirza View Post
From Johnny's official website (http://www.johnnyarcher.net/ask.html):

"When players write to you, asking how to aim, your pat answer is to say that you get three feet back from the shot, then you shoot parallel lines. That is all hogwash. That is not how you aim. Why don't you level with these recreational players? You use the aiming system whereby you aim the center of the cue ball at the edge of the object ball for any and all shots. You know exactly what I am talking about. We both know about placing the cue tip either left or right of cue ball center, and you know why we do that. Get honest for a change. These recreational players are no threat. Tell them the truth. - Hal Houle"

"I really don't know why you keep writing about my aiming system. Everybody that is listening, IT IS MY AIMING SYSTEM. I hope this would relieve some pressure that you have. Thanks, Johnny"
That's pretty telling. Guess i was right about the appearance of his shooting.

Old
  (#15)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

11-25-2015, 12:44 PM

Quote:
That's pretty telling. Guess i was right about the appearance of his shooting.
Hal Houle telling Johnny Archer that Johnny lies about how he aims is "telling"? Maybe it "tells" that Hal was a little dotty...?

pj <- not the only evidence of that
chgo

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: