Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page How to Learn Better Patterns/Shot Choices.
Page 3 of 3 123

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#31)
Smooth
AzB Silver Member
Smooth has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

01-29-2016, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Fields View Post
Work the pattern backwards from the 8..... Best tip I can give you. And when you are figuring out your pattern, do it in such a way that you have 2 or more shots each time. Again, not a set in stone thing, but a little extra forethought is a good thing to include into your run out plan. That will help should you get out of line on your first choice.
first, walk the table and know which pockets are open to every ball you have

then, work it backwards as said above

your brain will get better and better at connecting the dots to the last ball.... or getting to a spot where you play the safe or break-out as part of a plan, and not just because it's all you have left or you got lucky on a leave

Old
  (#32)
JoeyA
Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
JoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1300

01-29-2016, 10:48 AM

When I do commentary or watch matches, I always attempt to predict where the cue ball should wind up after the current shot is executed.

When the cue balls winds up in a different place than what I predicted (in my mind) I decide then, if the player made better shape or worse shape than I predicted. It is kind of a competitive game in my mind.

I also try to remember shots that I was completely wrong in my prediction and practice those shots at a later date.

Hope that helps.

JoeyA

"I would rather not deal with such questions, because it's like shearing a pigletóa lot of squealing and little wool."

Old
  (#33)
victorl
Where'd my stroke go?
victorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

01-29-2016, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zphix View Post
Why the hell was this revived lol...

You guys can relax as I no longer have this problem.
I'm glad you got that pesky problem fixed in just a few months.
It's taken me 15 years and I'm still working on it!

Old
  (#34)
Keith Jawahir
AzB Silver Member
Keith Jawahir has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Jawahir has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Jawahir has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Jawahir has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Jawahir has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Jawahir has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Jawahir has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Jawahir has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Jawahir has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Jawahir has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Jawahir has a reputation beyond repute

01-29-2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zphix View Post
Why the hell was this revived lol...

You guys can relax as I no longer have this problem.
True, but this thread is full of great knowledge and resources that I'm sure will be helpful to others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleary View Post
People always try to come up with "what's wrong with pool", "how do we fix pool"... want to know what's wrong with pool? The people who play pool. That's what's wrong with pool. Case closed.

Old
  (#35)
Skippy27
AzB Silver Member
Skippy27 has a reputation beyond reputeSkippy27 has a reputation beyond reputeSkippy27 has a reputation beyond reputeSkippy27 has a reputation beyond reputeSkippy27 has a reputation beyond reputeSkippy27 has a reputation beyond reputeSkippy27 has a reputation beyond reputeSkippy27 has a reputation beyond reputeSkippy27 has a reputation beyond reputeSkippy27 has a reputation beyond reputeSkippy27 has a reputation beyond repute

01-29-2016, 11:56 AM

It is all about being able to control the cue ball because you can draw out the perfect run every time, but rarely will you execute it without being pretty close to professional level.

Most important thing to know is the tangent line and how you can move the cue around to get where it needs to be based on that not only for your next shoot, but the shot after.

Ultimately it is going to come down to shots you are comfortable with and good at. You are going to have to establish your key ball for the win and for any break outs. Then consider if planning yourself for the perfect run out is no good if one of those shoots require you to have perfect leave, long draw, perfect breakout setup or something else you simply are not great at. So you may have to sacrifice the perfect way for your best way. There are many times that I make a shot knowing what I want to do, but because I may have left myself harder than expected or wrongfully above/below the shot line for the next I have to reconsider. Maybe I see that I left myself perfect for another ball unexpectedly and it would be the best opportunity to take it or it would help me get back in shape for the one I messed up.

In a nutshell, I believe you have to be pretty damn good to draw out an 8 ball or 9 ball run out pattern and stick to it throughout the entire inning. Maybe you are, but don't be afraid to just go 3-4 balls down in your planning and adjust as you need to. Once you can pull those off constantly, then maybe you have the cue ball under control enough to start trying to run out full racks in your head before you do it on the table.

Old
  (#36)
philly
AzB Silver Member
philly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond repute

01-29-2016, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy27 View Post
It is all about being able to control the cue ball because you can draw out the perfect run every time, but rarely will you execute it without being pretty close to professional level.

Most important thing to know is the tangent line and how you can move the cue around to get where it needs to be based on that not only for your next shoot, but the shot after.

Ultimately it is going to come down to shots you are comfortable with and good at. You are going to have to establish your key ball for the win and for any break outs. Then consider if planning yourself for the perfect run out is no good if one of those shoots require you to have perfect leave, long draw, perfect breakout setup or something else you simply are not great at. So you may have to sacrifice the perfect way for your best way. There are many times that I make a shot knowing what I want to do, but because I may have left myself harder than expected or wrongfully above/below the shot line for the next I have to reconsider. Maybe I see that I left myself perfect for another ball unexpectedly and it would be the best opportunity to take it or it would help me get back in shape for the one I messed up.

In a nutshell, I believe you have to be pretty damn good to draw out an 8 ball or 9 ball run out pattern and stick to it throughout the entire inning. Maybe you are, but don't be afraid to just go 3-4 balls down in your planning and adjust as you need to. Once you can pull those off constantly, then maybe you have the cue ball under control enough to start trying to run out full racks in your head before you do it on the table.
Very well said and thought out but easier said than done. All you say is true. There is a lot of knowledge and CONFIDENCE in the head of a true run out artist. I try to keep things simple and lately it has come down to one thing for me and that is "trust your stroke." Doubt is the killer of all runs and doubt is the result of OVERTHINKING. When you learn to trust your stroke you slip into the zone. At least I do.

Pool may not build character but it certainly will reveal it.

"Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis" Unencumbered By The Thought Process

How do you feel? Fast and loose, man.

Old
  (#37)
SmoothStroke
AzB Silver Member
SmoothStroke has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothStroke has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothStroke has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothStroke has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothStroke has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothStroke has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothStroke has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothStroke has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothStroke has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothStroke has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothStroke has a reputation beyond repute

01-29-2016, 08:53 PM

As soon as you learn the cue ball and stroke technique the easier it is to see patterns and run the cue ball into insurance zones or hit lay ups .

Rotation is as simple as it gets.

Let's take straight pool.
Lay out 20 different racks and the best 20 players in the world will play them 20 different ways. The experts commentating matches are constantly calling the wrong shot, or what they think the best pattern is. What does that tell you?

Learn the technique, and then play it.
Itís a lot of work, master it, be the complete player, find your natural, make the game your own.

Find a 3 cushion table and sleep on it, a year from now they will be asking for weight.

It's all about the cue ball; it's an art, everything else is easy compared, including pattern play.

The Confident Cue Ball

Sincerely: SS

I almost made that shot.
You don't know what you don't know until you know it.

Old
  (#38)
TATE
AzB Gold Mensch
TATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

01-29-2016, 11:19 PM

Just want to say it's hard to play patterns unless you have good control over the cue ball. Here's one tip: try to always play to a specific spot, a specific distance, on one side of the OB or another. This is critical in learning cue ball control. The attempt at doing something precise gives your brain the feedback it needs to learn. There are not very many basic shots to master, but you can't master them until the cueball is well under your control. The more you practice, play the ghost, etc the better you will be. It's not easy and it takes patience and a lot of play.

Visit my historic cues site:
www.palmercollector.com

Last edited by TATE; 01-29-2016 at 11:24 PM.

Old
  (#39)
IamCalvin06
Yang "The Son of Pool"
IamCalvin06 has a reputation beyond reputeIamCalvin06 has a reputation beyond reputeIamCalvin06 has a reputation beyond reputeIamCalvin06 has a reputation beyond reputeIamCalvin06 has a reputation beyond reputeIamCalvin06 has a reputation beyond reputeIamCalvin06 has a reputation beyond reputeIamCalvin06 has a reputation beyond reputeIamCalvin06 has a reputation beyond reputeIamCalvin06 has a reputation beyond reputeIamCalvin06 has a reputation beyond repute

01-30-2016, 03:13 AM

Take time in weighing your options percentage wise.

Find the problems that prevent you from running out first.

Decide which shot allows you to open your balls but also gives you shape on your set as well. In 14.1 it's called a safety valve. Breaking a cluster is not a random thing and should be thought out carefully. Be exact on which ball you should hit so that it allows u to open ur balls and gives you a shot on the next ball.

If ur balls are in the open then choose shots that play easy position and minimal CB movement. Try to use a ball close to the eight for shape on the eight.

In eightball shot selection is the whole key to running out. Don't be stubborn, be willing to change your plans when things go astray.

Don't run 6 if you can't run 8

I said i'd never play another man's game, big ball, last pocket.. boy did i swallow the pill, i mite go blow the pope next wtf there hu quote me on that - FATBOY

Not in the business of forcing others to believe in what I believe. -Calvin original

A man can be an artist at anything, and right now I'm about to paint my masterpiece on this layout.

Old
  (#40)
Skippy27
AzB Silver Member
Skippy27 has a reputation beyond reputeSkippy27 has a reputation beyond reputeSkippy27 has a reputation beyond reputeSkippy27 has a reputation beyond reputeSkippy27 has a reputation beyond reputeSkippy27 has a reputation beyond reputeSkippy27 has a reputation beyond reputeSkippy27 has a reputation beyond reputeSkippy27 has a reputation beyond reputeSkippy27 has a reputation beyond reputeSkippy27 has a reputation beyond repute

02-01-2016, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly View Post
Very well said and thought out but easier said than done. All you say is true. There is a lot of knowledge and CONFIDENCE in the head of a true run out artist.
Oh I know it is harder than said. One of the biggest problems with someone like me is that I think I can do more than I can so I end up running out further than I should and typically have to walk away from the table without having control when shooting for fun.

My confidence and knowledge make me think I can run just about ever rack and my ego leads me to try it way more than I should. Unfortunately I still lack the needed cue ball control and physical ability to actually execute it as often as I should. However, it is practice so no harm no foul.

If I am shooting in league I have a tendency to go the other way and play more conservative, which has cost me games/matches as well.

Page 3 of 3 123

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: