Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Low deflection back to solid maple? Have you?
Page 2 of 4 12 34

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
Allen Brown
Pool Whale
Allen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

06-23-2016, 06:37 PM

I used a Z2 for about 4 years and have been using my custom cue makers shafts for the past 4 years or so. I won't ever go back to anything other than what the maker makes. To me it's like buying a ice cream cone with no ice cream in it. I don't want to mess myself over for what I've paid for.

Old
  (#17)
nj82tj
The dude abides.
nj82tj has a reputation beyond reputenj82tj has a reputation beyond reputenj82tj has a reputation beyond reputenj82tj has a reputation beyond reputenj82tj has a reputation beyond reputenj82tj has a reputation beyond reputenj82tj has a reputation beyond reputenj82tj has a reputation beyond reputenj82tj has a reputation beyond reputenj82tj has a reputation beyond reputenj82tj has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

06-23-2016, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Brown View Post
I used a Z2 for about 4 years and have been using my custom cue makers shafts for the past 4 years or so. I won't ever go back to anything other than what the maker makes. To me it's like buying a ice cream cone with no ice cream in it. I don't want to mess myself over for what I've paid for.
That's a good analogy.

60" Dzuricky Custom
8 Brunswick home table

Old
  (#18)
Cornerman
Cue Author...Sometimes
Cornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond repute

06-23-2016, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj82tj View Post
Just like the title says. Have you played LD shafts and end up back with a solid maple? I sent in my ob and have been shooting with the solid maple in the mean time. I think I like it more. Anyone else? I'm struggling with this a little. Personal preference, I know, but I'm curious.
Why are you struggling? With the switch or the idea of switching back?

Lower squirt (LD shafts) helps a lot of people. It doesn't help everyone. I have something like 12 or more low squirt shafts. I played with a 314-1 for a few years, but I had to load it up with mass to increase the squirt. And today, I'm back to shooting with a regular shaft. And I'm having a great time, and I certainly don't have any issues using mega doses of either side of the ball, inside or outside, at any time. My speed control is better, shots with english make more sense (I had a good handle on squirt years before the advent of low squirt shafts), and I haven't been a "bad shotmaker" in decades. Low squirt shafts never made me a better shot maker.

Freddie <~~~ back to normal

--------

Name: Freddie Agnir
Shooting Cue: 2017 Tascarella (w/blokid extension) or Schuler SC-250
Breaking Cue: BK Rush

Playing time: just a hair above zero
--------

"I don't care if you win, just cover the spread!"

- Annie Potts (Memaw from Young Sheldon)

Last edited by Cornerman; 06-23-2016 at 06:47 PM.

Old
  (#19)
john coloccia
AzB Silver Member
john coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond repute

06-23-2016, 06:52 PM

I'm sure it's been discussed somewhere, but does anyone have any idea what most pros are shooting....or put another way, what most pros would shoot without endorsements?

Old
  (#20)
one stroke
AzB Silver Member
one stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond repute

06-23-2016, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerman View Post

Lower squirt (LD shafts) helps a lot of people. It doesn't help everyone. I have something like 12 or more low squirt shafts. I played with a 314-1 for a few years, but I had to load it up with mass to increase the squirt. And today, I'm back to shooting with a regular shaft. And I'm having a great time, and I certainly don't have any issues using mega doses of either side of the ball, inside or outside, at any time. My speed control is better, shots with english make more sense (I had a good handle on squirt years before the advent of low squirt shafts), and I haven't been a "bad shotmaker" in decades. Low squirt shafts never made me a better shot maker.

You don't have to load up masse to get more squirt you simply have to get father to the edge of the cue ball , what a LD shaft does is allows you to play closer to center get more spin with less squirt ,,
All shafts have a learning curb , one of the best things of a LD shaft is if a ball is close to the cue ball path but u need big English you can shot that shot and not worry about clipping that ball along the way

Old
  (#21)
nj82tj
The dude abides.
nj82tj has a reputation beyond reputenj82tj has a reputation beyond reputenj82tj has a reputation beyond reputenj82tj has a reputation beyond reputenj82tj has a reputation beyond reputenj82tj has a reputation beyond reputenj82tj has a reputation beyond reputenj82tj has a reputation beyond reputenj82tj has a reputation beyond reputenj82tj has a reputation beyond reputenj82tj has a reputation beyond repute

06-23-2016, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerman View Post

I guess switching back to solid maple. I feel like I want to use the LD but I shoot just as well with solid. I suppose that kind of answers my question. Maybe I never needed any LD shafts in the first place. You have to try it to know though I guess.

60" Dzuricky Custom
8 Brunswick home table

Old
  (#22)
one stroke
AzB Silver Member
one stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond repute

06-23-2016, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john coloccia View Post
I'm sure it's been discussed somewhere, but does anyone have any idea what most pros are shooting....or put another way, what most pros would shoot without endorsements?
I think I read about 50 pct but I believe that number will rise dramatically in the next 10 yrs

Old
  (#23)
nj82tj
The dude abides.

06-23-2016, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one stroke View Post
I think I read about 50 pct but I believe that number will rise dramatically in the next 10 yrs

Can you elaborate a little on this? Rise dramatically in favor of which?

60" Dzuricky Custom
8 Brunswick home table

Old
  (#24)
victorl
Where'd my stroke go?
victorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond repute

06-23-2016, 07:43 PM

Another thing I noticed switching between the two types of cues is that a level stroke works better with LD shafts, whereas for standard shafts shooting with slight elevation greatly increases consistency, especially on shots with sidespin. (Maybe it's just me, though.)

Old
  (#25)
center pocket
Got Heart?
center pocket has a reputation beyond reputecenter pocket has a reputation beyond reputecenter pocket has a reputation beyond reputecenter pocket has a reputation beyond reputecenter pocket has a reputation beyond reputecenter pocket has a reputation beyond reputecenter pocket has a reputation beyond reputecenter pocket has a reputation beyond reputecenter pocket has a reputation beyond reputecenter pocket has a reputation beyond reputecenter pocket has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 400

06-23-2016, 07:52 PM

Shot with an ob1 for a few years. After a cracked ferrule, cut off carbon pad during a tip replacement, and other issues I have gone back to standard shafts that come with the cue. Right now I use a JD cue with a standard maple shaft and love it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Old
  (#26)
Cornerman
Cue Author...Sometimes
Cornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond repute

06-23-2016, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj82tj View Post
I guess switching back to solid maple. I feel like I want to use the LD but I shoot just as well with solid. I suppose that kind of answers my question. Maybe I never needed any LD shafts in the first place. You have to try it to know though I guess.
And people should try them! All of them!

They do help a lot of people, and I think new players who are addicted to pool could do a lot worse in their ramp up and learning curve.

But, for those that try them and don't get anything from low squirt cues/shafts, there should be no regrets about going back to normal shafts.

Freddie

--------

Name: Freddie Agnir
Shooting Cue: 2017 Tascarella (w/blokid extension) or Schuler SC-250
Breaking Cue: BK Rush

Playing time: just a hair above zero
--------

"I don't care if you win, just cover the spread!"

- Annie Potts (Memaw from Young Sheldon)

Old
  (#27)
tonythetiger583
AzB Silver Member
tonythetiger583 has a reputation beyond reputetonythetiger583 has a reputation beyond reputetonythetiger583 has a reputation beyond reputetonythetiger583 has a reputation beyond reputetonythetiger583 has a reputation beyond reputetonythetiger583 has a reputation beyond reputetonythetiger583 has a reputation beyond reputetonythetiger583 has a reputation beyond reputetonythetiger583 has a reputation beyond reputetonythetiger583 has a reputation beyond reputetonythetiger583 has a reputation beyond repute

06-23-2016, 11:02 PM

I'm wondering if it's just because I play on a bar table, but hitting so many slow spin shots, I feel like you almost want more deflection to cancel out the swerve you're going to end up getting. I also use backhand english, so the shorter pivot length is also a big plus.

But yeah I went from a Venom2, to a 314-3 to a 314-2, to a maple shaft and I'm back to a Venom2

I feel like there should be 3 categories:

Legit Low Deflection: Z2, Obs, 314s

Maple Shafts

And "Low Deflection" which is essentially a maple shaft with slllightly lowered deflection: Venom's, Vikings, HXT's. Pretty much a slightly whippy maple shaft will be about as low deflection.

Old
  (#28)
timothysoong
★★★★★★★★★★★★
timothysoong has a reputation beyond reputetimothysoong has a reputation beyond reputetimothysoong has a reputation beyond reputetimothysoong has a reputation beyond reputetimothysoong has a reputation beyond reputetimothysoong has a reputation beyond reputetimothysoong has a reputation beyond reputetimothysoong has a reputation beyond reputetimothysoong has a reputation beyond reputetimothysoong has a reputation beyond reputetimothysoong has a reputation beyond repute

06-23-2016, 11:14 PM

Took me a while to switched to solid maple, but when I do. I'll never turn back to LD.

Timothy Soong
TS's Billiard Supply
ts.billiardsupply@gmail.com
------------------------------------------------------------
Player: Tim Scruggs
Break Cue: Mezz Power Break 1
Jump Cue: Predator Air Drive 2
------------------------------------------------------------
Favorite tip: Thoroughbred Tips
My simple lathe setup: youtu.be/DCp7Ez-G4og

Old
  (#29)
IamCalvin06
Yang "The Son of Pool"
IamCalvin06 has a reputation beyond reputeIamCalvin06 has a reputation beyond reputeIamCalvin06 has a reputation beyond reputeIamCalvin06 has a reputation beyond reputeIamCalvin06 has a reputation beyond reputeIamCalvin06 has a reputation beyond reputeIamCalvin06 has a reputation beyond reputeIamCalvin06 has a reputation beyond reputeIamCalvin06 has a reputation beyond reputeIamCalvin06 has a reputation beyond reputeIamCalvin06 has a reputation beyond repute

06-23-2016, 11:47 PM

I started shooting pool w LD shafts and never felt confortable spinning the ball. Switched to a Barnhart one day bc my OB had a cracked ferrule. Never looked back.

I think it's bc there's a lack of info on how to play w an ld shaft. A solid maple shaft has a good amount of deflection which gives you a bigger target when ur adjusting ur aim. Ld shafts require a smaller target when making adjustments for deflection. Just mho.

I said i'd never play another man's game, big ball, last pocket.. boy did i swallow the pill, i mite go blow the pope next wtf there hu quote me on that - FATBOY

Not in the business of forcing others to believe in what I believe. -Calvin original

A man can be an artist at anything, and right now I'm about to paint my masterpiece on this layout.

Old
  (#30)
The Renfro
Outsville.com
The Renfro has a reputation beyond reputeThe Renfro has a reputation beyond reputeThe Renfro has a reputation beyond reputeThe Renfro has a reputation beyond reputeThe Renfro has a reputation beyond reputeThe Renfro has a reputation beyond reputeThe Renfro has a reputation beyond reputeThe Renfro has a reputation beyond reputeThe Renfro has a reputation beyond reputeThe Renfro has a reputation beyond reputeThe Renfro has a reputation beyond repute

06-24-2016, 12:38 AM

Since only 2 out of the last 10 US Open winners used non-ld shafts I have to admit you are on to nothing.... They still sell hickory golf club shafts as well.....

Great White PRO CHALK - "Best Chalk in the UNIVERSE"

Outsville.com

Page 2 of 4 12 34

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: