OB Cues "Digicue" thoughts

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would like them to have a bunch of top players test the product and show a correlation graph between them to see what similarities there are.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Further fyi, per my email w OB, it will begin shipping 11/1
It's on OB's website now and it says Oct. 31, so yeah, we e got a few months. I'm looking forward to seeing videos and other info about it over the next couple of months.

banditgrrr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was in the OB booth at the Rio a couple days ago and decided to give this a try. I don't believe the feedback would happen until after contact is made with the cue. The vibration is very subtle. The only thing I have a concern about is that there's no feedback on why it's vibrated after a shot. I just read the FAQ's on the website and it looks like OB has considered this. I just don't know that when it only takes 1 second to make a shot, a vibration within that 1 second is going to help me determine exactly what I did wrong. It will tell me that I did something wrong, I'm just not sure that I'll know exactly what it was. Since there are 3 settings (novice, intermediate, advanced) I'm assuming that it's more sensitive with each setting. However, I'm a gadget guy and I bought one anyways.I'll be able to give a better review once it arrives in November but I'm hoping there's some way to get feedback on why it vibrates.

JohnnyP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I made a wired one in 2005:

http://jandssafeguard.com/PoolGizmo/Stroke-Alyzer.html

SensorMount.jpg

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

First of all, this is great!! It is similar to how I started, and I love the integration of the gameboy.

I noticed this quote from your page:
"I let the house pro at the local pool hall evaluate it, and he said he was concentrating more on making the shot than listening to the tone."

Some people have asked if the DigiCue vibrates differently for different stroke flaws. It turns out that we can be focused on our stroke and know whether or not we felt a DigiCue vibration without being distracted from the shot. But as soon as you try to pay attention to what type of vibration-pattern you get (or in your case, sound tone), you lose concentration on your shot. This is why DigiCue vibrates the same way for all flaws.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
Shane asked me to help him with a promo video of the product so in order to understand better how the product worked, I needed one. :)

This is one of their prototypes, it arrived in the mail yesterday.

Even at the lowest sensitivity, it takes good fundamentals to not make this thing vibrate. After a couple hours, it was vibrating less and I was pocketing better. I had to really focus on my fundamentals. Let's hope it can help me break some bad habits. So far, pretty cool product. I look forward to more testing.

uinw4pw.png

shanesinnott

Follow Through
Silver Member
Shane asked me to help him with a promo video of the product so in order to understand better how the product worked, I needed one. :)

This is one of their prototypes, it arrived in the mail yesterday.

Even at the lowest sensitivity, it takes good fundamentals to not make this thing vibrate. After a couple hours, it was vibrating less and I was pocketing better. I had to really focus on my fundamentals. Let's hope it can help me break some bad habits. So far, pretty cool product. I look forward to more testing.

uinw4pw.png

Glad you like it Cleary. If it can help you, it can help anyone ;)

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When you guys make your videos, one thing that would be convincing to me is if you had a recognized instructor (I think someone mentioned randyg earlier) attest that the device measures the kinds of flaws that he or she thinks are important. Or if not in videos, in some other marketing materials.

scottjen26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm an instructor and just tried one yesterday. It was my first time playing since my recent surgery, so wasn't able to play very long or concentrate too hard on it, will try it again next week.

But initial impressions - it definitely does what it says. Very light, you barely notice it's there. I started on novice mode, I had to pretty much try to make it vibrate except on a few power shots where it did vibrate on me, probably from a lack of smoothness. For comparison, I gave it to another person to try who is a beginner, it vibrated almost every time and from watching them shoot I wasn't surprised... :)

I liked it best in intermediate mode. When I rushed my stroke or transition a little or tried to force the CB to create an angle etc., even though I made the shot if I wasn't smooth I got a little vibration which was perfect. It would be nice to know why, but I understand the reasoning behind not doing different vibrations or tones for different mistakes, and usually you know.

For me, the advanced mode was too sensitive for regular practice. My fundamentals are pretty solid (but certainly not perfect), and I found anything other than normal speed shots caused vibration. It took a really smooth stroke at speed to not cause vibration. Will try this some more as I heal up, maybe I wasn't balanced or moving somewhat since I wasn't able yet to get down fully in my stance. Would also like feedback from other top players if this was their experience as well, maybe I have something to work on... :) But this mode would be great to groove one's stroke in drills etc.

I also quickly tried to make it vibrate at the end of my short session. I purposely stopped my follow through abruptly, rushed my transition, lifted up, swerved, etc. Each and every time it vibrated. If someone has a somewhat natural pump-type stroke or uses carabao-style english you may get false positives. But for the vast majority of players who are trying to groove solid fundamentals this will alert you to some common flaws.

Overall nice product and a decent price. I will continue using it and provide more feedback as I get more experience with it. Would be great to have some decent players or instructors do some videos for the website, and I know they are working on instructions. Between these two things I think the product will be complete. First impressions very good!
Scott

shanesinnott

Follow Through
Silver Member
I'm an instructor and just tried one yesterday. It was my first time playing since my recent surgery, so wasn't able to play very long or concentrate too hard on it, will try it again next week.

But initial impressions - it definitely does what it says. Very light, you barely notice it's there. I started on novice mode, I had to pretty much try to make it vibrate except on a few power shots where it did vibrate on me, probably from a lack of smoothness. For comparison, I gave it to another person to try who is a beginner, it vibrated almost every time and from watching them shoot I wasn't surprised... :)

I liked it best in intermediate mode. When I rushed my stroke or transition a little or tried to force the CB to create an angle etc., even though I made the shot if I wasn't smooth I got a little vibration which was perfect. It would be nice to know why, but I understand the reasoning behind not doing different vibrations or tones for different mistakes, and usually you know.

For me, the advanced mode was too sensitive for regular practice. My fundamentals are pretty solid (but certainly not perfect), and I found anything other than normal speed shots caused vibration. It took a really smooth stroke at speed to not cause vibration. Will try this some more as I heal up, maybe I wasn't balanced or moving somewhat since I wasn't able yet to get down fully in my stance. Would also like feedback from other top players if this was their experience as well, maybe I have something to work on... :) But this mode would be great to groove one's stroke in drills etc.

I also quickly tried to make it vibrate at the end of my short session. I purposely stopped my follow through abruptly, rushed my transition, lifted up, swerved, etc. Each and every time it vibrated. If someone has a somewhat natural pump-type stroke or uses carabao-style english you may get false positives. But for the vast majority of players who are trying to groove solid fundamentals this will alert you to some common flaws.

Overall nice product and a decent price. I will continue using it and provide more feedback as I get more experience with it. Would be great to have some decent players or instructors do some videos for the website, and I know they are working on instructions. Between these two things I think the product will be complete. First impressions very good!
Scott

Glad you like the DigiCue Scott and thank you for the detailed review.

BilliardGreg

Billiard Aficionado
Interesting

I would be more interested in having it store information in a memory chip or have it transfer the data via bluetooth.