Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Palmer Cue Find this week_ Szamboti Forearm?
Page 3 of 3 123

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#31)
u12armresl
One Pocket back cutter
u12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

01-29-2020, 02:18 PM

PRED, don't ask him if he wants validation or what he paid. ROFL

Post pics of a cue, ask everyone for help, talk about the greatest garage find, "that's really cool, can I ask what you paid for it?"

I sell cues and I can't reveal that info because if it was a Szamboti forearm, I can really stick it to some people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRED View Post
If you knew all this info, why ask? You want validation more than you want the truth.

Old
  (#32)
mikemosconi
AzB Silver Member
mikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond repute

01-29-2020, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by u12armresl View Post
PRED, don't ask him if he wants validation or what he paid. ROFL

Post pics of a cue, ask everyone for help, talk about the greatest garage find, "that's really cool, can I ask what you paid for it?"

I sell cues and I can't reveal that info because if it was a Szamboti forearm, I can really stick it to some people.
Honestly don't know what in the world you are talking about- I have NO intention of selling this cue- no matter if Szamboti was involved in it or not - yes I have sold a lot of cues- but either way- no one's business what I paid for it. How could I 'stick it to someone" anyhow if it was a Szamboti forearm- it would just be represented for what it was.
I really don't understand some of the people on this site- some of you look for any way to turn around discussions into accusations, alternative motivations, and confrontations that have no place here at all. Why can't people here just share opinions, ask for clarifications, present alternative possibilities, and then come to a satisfactory conclusion? That's ALL I was trying to do here! What in the world is all this negativity- I don't need this and I am sure many others here would agree with me.
A word to the wise- some free advice- do whatever you want with it - but maybe you and PRED should spend more time in life making friends and not looking to to turn discussions into personal attacks simply because you don't like what you hear- life's too short my friend!

Last edited by mikemosconi; 01-29-2020 at 06:57 PM.

Old
  (#33)
u12armresl
One Pocket back cutter
u12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond repute

01-30-2020, 08:40 PM

IF you have no intention of selling it, what in the earthly galaxy would telling someone what you paid for it hurt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemosconi View Post
Honestly don't know what in the world you are talking about- I have NO intention of selling this cue- no matter if Szamboti was involved in it or not - yes I have sold a lot of cues- but either way- no one's business what I paid for it. How could I 'stick it to someone" anyhow if it was a Szamboti forearm- it would just be represented for what it was.
I really don't understand some of the people on this site- some of you look for any way to turn around discussions into accusations, alternative motivations, and confrontations that have no place here at all. Why can't people here just share opinions, ask for clarifications, present alternative possibilities, and then come to a satisfactory conclusion? That's ALL I was trying to do here! What in the world is all this negativity- I don't need this and I am sure many others here would agree with me.
A word to the wise- some free advice- do whatever you want with it - but maybe you and PRED should spend more time in life making friends and not looking to to turn discussions into personal attacks simply because you don't like what you hear- life's too short my friend!

Old
  (#34)
Chopdoc
AzB Silver Member
Chopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond repute

01-30-2020, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Also the forearm is straight maple, not BEM. The points are ebony and the veneers from the inside out are natural, orange, chartreuse, and ebony- although the outer two veneers are so tight together that it is hard even under a magnifier to discern.
would anyone know if this signifies a Szamboti possibility with this 3rd catalog Palmer?
Looks to be Adam blank.

Nice find.

Curious why one would think such features signify a Szam blank. Helmstetter certainly knew what he was doing when he set up that production.

Quote:
none of them this old are perfect.
Really? I have some. But the finish is peeling on the bottom of yours, so not perfect.

Quote:
As for what i paid for it at the tag sale-I never reveal that- I sell many cues that I find this way.
Personally, I never hide anything about a cue that I show, including what I got it for. I don't feel it has anything to do with what I might sell it for. But to each his own.

If I don't want to tell, I don't show.

But that's me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type79 View Post
Itís common knowledge that Palmer was sourcing blanks from Adam during production of the Third Catalog cues.

It would benefit the discussion if you would post close-ups of the forearm and veneers of this cue.
Common knowledge indeed. But perhaps not for everyone.

Still a Palmer. Still assembled and finished in their shop. Still a nice find.

Close-ups would be great.

Bury me with my JOSS....

"Chop Lock"
Member of the world famous Lock Society

Cases I made: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=258632

Old
  (#35)
mikemosconi
AzB Silver Member
mikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond repute

01-31-2020, 12:13 PM

To answer some of your questions:

1. The height of the points had me wondering about the blank since other Palmers I have seen had shorter points and I had read the Szamboti points on Palmers came up higher than others. I also thought that Szamboti used those veneer colors for Palmer cues at times. Also, this cue plays different ( better than other Palmers from my experience- a crisper hit- maybe the ebony? Also, this cue was from early in the third catalog by the imprint on the buttcap, did not know Adam contributed to early 70s Palmers.

2. By most older cues not being perfect- I was referring to the straightness of the cue- especially the shafts. I have never seen 50 year old cues with perfectly straight original shafts- maybe they do exist. These shafts are very clean, like new clean, full 13mm and 12 inch pro taper, but slight wobble.

3. As for price paid- I mentioned that I am keeping this cue- not for sale- but I do sell cues at times, what does what I paid for it have to do with showing a garage sale find? I once paid $3 at a garage sale for a mint Palmer custom cue from the PB catalog, a $400 billiard chair, and a $300 billiard cue rack - about $1200 worth of billiard equipment. I have had other similar finds in cues, watches, golf equip. cameras, ivory tusks, antiques clocks, musical instruments; you name it- Garage sales have been a hobby and sometimes side business for me for 25 years. I have never paid more than $100 for any item. Some I KEEP AND SOME I SELL - but I DO think that if I attempt to sell something worth $1000 and someone knows I paid $5 for it - they would be inclined to offer a lower price- I know that I would.

I thank you for your response and i will post some close ups on the points today.
Attached Images

Old
  (#36)
ideologist
I don't never exaggerate
ideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond repute

01-31-2020, 12:14 PM

Quote:
To answer some of your questions:

1. The height of the points had me wondering about the blank since other Palmers I have seen had shorter points and I had read the Szamboti points on Palmers came up higher than others. I also thought that Szamboti used those veneer colors for Palmer cues at times. Also, this cue plays different ( better than other Palmers from my experience- a crisper hit- maybe the ebony? Also, this cue was from early in the third catalog by the imprint on the buttcap, did not know Adam contributed to early 70s Palmers.

2. By most older cues not being perfect- I was referring to the straightness of the cue- especially the shafts. I have never seen 50 year old cues with perfectly straight original shafts- maybe they do exist. These shafts are very clean, like new clean, full 13mm and 12 inch pro taper, but slight wobble.

3. As for price paid- I mentioned that I am keeping this cue- not for sale- but I do sell cues at times, what does what I paid for it have to do with showing a garage sale find? I once paid $3 at a garage sale for a mint Palmer custom cue from the PB catalog, a $400 billiard chair, and a $300 billiard cue rack - about $1200 worth of billiard equipment. I have had other similar finds in cues, watches, golf equip. cameras, ivory tusks, antiques clocks, musical instruments; you name it- Garage sales have been a hobby and sometimes side business for me for 25 years. I have never paid more than $100 for any item. Some I KEEP AND SOME I SELL - but I DO think that if I attempt to sell something worth $1000 and someone knows I paid $5 for it - they would be inclined to offer a lower price- I know that I would.

I thank you for your response and i will post some close ups on the points today.
It's still an Adam forearm, looks like a nice little player

Snowflakes in Hawaii meltdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavafongoul View Post
This may sound smug on my part

Old
  (#37)
mikemosconi
AzB Silver Member

01-31-2020, 12:36 PM

Thanks for the response. I feel now that I have confirmation on that point ( no pun intended). It is just good to know, as one who appreciates cues, what you have or what you don't have. I never intended to sell this particular cue, as I regret not having the other Palmers I once owned. I'll leave this one to my sons, as they are some of the few 30 year olds who know about cue history and appreciate the significance of my custom cue collection. This is a rare Palmer from one of the first three catalogs, so that, in and of itself, gives it great value to me, as well as the fantastic original condition of the cue and a mint Palmer Deluxe case to boot!

Old
  (#38)
sonny burnett
Registered
sonny burnett has a reputation beyond reputesonny burnett has a reputation beyond reputesonny burnett has a reputation beyond reputesonny burnett has a reputation beyond reputesonny burnett has a reputation beyond reputesonny burnett has a reputation beyond reputesonny burnett has a reputation beyond reputesonny burnett has a reputation beyond reputesonny burnett has a reputation beyond reputesonny burnett has a reputation beyond reputesonny burnett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 800

02-03-2020, 09:29 AM

It's not like an Adam blank is a bad thing for a player. I prefer them to most anything current production.

Nice find!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 123

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: