Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page What was your pool hall like Growing up ?
Page 3 of 4 123 4

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#31)
Island Drive
AzB Silver Member
Island Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

04-26-2020, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolFan101 View Post
Lawnboy 77 I am From Ky 2 , small world . Our Pool room did not have the blood stains as there was no roughness . We have a pretty nice town , someone who just got beat might mouth off a little but knew better to go to far as the owner would put them out on the street, Our's did not have the pickled Bologna but the gas stations did and I ate that 2 growing up. I have lived in ky all my life and never had a ski. Pepsi was the drink of choice around here. I will have to try one sometime.
Stompin' grounds. You guyz are takin' me back. Went to SIU Carbondale 67-71 and frequented the surrounding area and the ladies and the lakes and Janscos.

Buddy Hall country, Cape Girardeau, Duquoin, Paducah, Mt. Vernon etc. Tough playing in those wet/damp conditions, but being a kid, every day was another rack of balls.

www.worldbilliardtour.com
Domain Name Only....

Bill Meacham

Old
  (#32)
DaveK
pre-proscribed
DaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 526

04-26-2020, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geosnooker View Post
I started playing when I was 14 years old in 1969. In Canada most billiards was played in Legions, army navy clubs, community centers, etc. In small towns it was usually the local hotel which was also a bar, restaurant. More of a community get together location. Rarely dark and sleazy.

In Canada nearly all ‘fathers’ were military veterans and I think this had influence on billiards not having the same negative image as in the United States. It’s not that there weren’t some of this image in cities but it certainly didn’t dominate. Snooker had the civilizing iinflurnce even on play at the table in the bar.

Anyways, I played in legions, army navy clubs, etc and there was an expected level of dress and behaviour.
What part of our great country are you in my friend ? We too had/have snooker tables in the legions, and certainly the local watering hole (often a hotel bar as you say) had a table. But the most of the pool halls around here (I live in Saskatoon) were small affairs often behind the barber shop. Here is a site with pictures of a renovated barber-shop/pool-hall in Alberta:

https://www.davidmurrayarchitect.ca/...d-barber-shop/

Another example:

https://eyestoheart.me/2012/09/03/sh...thern-alberta/

Dave

Can't fix stupid, you're on your own.

Old
  (#33)
ElKabong
AzB Silver Member
ElKabong has a reputation beyond reputeElKabong has a reputation beyond reputeElKabong has a reputation beyond reputeElKabong has a reputation beyond reputeElKabong has a reputation beyond reputeElKabong has a reputation beyond reputeElKabong has a reputation beyond reputeElKabong has a reputation beyond reputeElKabong has a reputation beyond reputeElKabong has a reputation beyond reputeElKabong has a reputation beyond repute

04-26-2020, 03:45 PM

80s for me, but this place was unchanged for decades I think.
Big bowling alley with 10 grimy Gold Crown 8 ft tables in a separate room, one table up front was kept better and reserved for the gamblers.

You had local legends, road agents, short stops, scufflers, drug dealers...the whole cast of characters.

In the late 80's, early 90s you couldn't get a table on Fri or Sat night unless you got there early.

In the 70's, early 80s it was open 24hrs on Friday/Saturday.

Grill with good grub, draft beer in plastic cups, what more could you ask for.

Always cheap, to not so cheap action to be had.

Old
  (#34)
cubswin
Just call me Joe...
cubswin has a reputation beyond reputecubswin has a reputation beyond reputecubswin has a reputation beyond reputecubswin has a reputation beyond reputecubswin has a reputation beyond reputecubswin has a reputation beyond reputecubswin has a reputation beyond reputecubswin has a reputation beyond reputecubswin has a reputation beyond reputecubswin has a reputation beyond reputecubswin has a reputation beyond repute

04-26-2020, 03:52 PM

Hard to get a table before midnight on a weekend. All bar tables, with a lot of gambling going on. Usually a dice or card game going on, sometimes flipping quarters for 20-100 a flip.

Drugs weren't uncommon, fights now and then. About 5 am on a saturday morning people sleeping under a table or two. Sometimes a sex act or two in the front room. The occasional death threat.

Was in there one day, two people come flying in, toss a duffel bag under a table and go out the front door. Cops come in chasing them, turns out to be two fully loaded mac 10's in the bag.

""It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie

Old
  (#35)
BC21
Poolology

BC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond repute

04-26-2020, 04:03 PM

I had a set of pool balls in a black pleather bag. They were given to me by the owner of dance club that had burned down. I was 18 or 19 then, and he used to let me in the place to play pool.

After the fire I started breaking into a college dorm to play pool. It was called Maclin Hall. There was a large civil war era cannon in the front courtyard, and to the right of the cannon there was one window that had a piece of plastic/plexiglas in place of the original glass. On the other side of this window was the rec room with its one nice Brunswick Goldcrown table and a no name smaller table, pure junk. All I had to do was push in on that plastic window and it would pop loose enough to unlock it from outside.

I'd go there late, after the rec room was closed up and all the lights were out. I'd climb through the window with my little black satchel and my cheap Mali cue. I'd turn the light on that only lit the far corner of the room where the Goldcrown table sat. I loved those nights, alone, just me and that old table. That was my poolhall, my first poolhall.

Last edited by BC21; 04-26-2020 at 04:24 PM.

Old
  (#36)
noMoreSchon
AzB Silver Member
noMoreSchon has a reputation beyond reputenoMoreSchon has a reputation beyond reputenoMoreSchon has a reputation beyond reputenoMoreSchon has a reputation beyond reputenoMoreSchon has a reputation beyond reputenoMoreSchon has a reputation beyond reputenoMoreSchon has a reputation beyond reputenoMoreSchon has a reputation beyond reputenoMoreSchon has a reputation beyond reputenoMoreSchon has a reputation beyond reputenoMoreSchon has a reputation beyond repute

04-26-2020, 07:06 PM

The Golden Cue.

On Menual in Albuquerque NM. 20+ Gold Crown, 6 valleys. Two foosball tables and

assorted arcade games. Now this is a place that is tailored to the young. Full most

nights. Lots of drugs, murder and mayhem any night of the week. And some pool.

It had its fun times though, like holidays, where the other joints would shut down, and

locals like Louie Roybal, Wilfred Mayestas, and the late Kyle Tafoya would come on

down and play ring games with us youngsters. I was fortunate enough to befriend Kyle

and he was always teaching me something. Through him I met Hal Mix, one of the best

coaches of late years. It was a few years later, I was 16 or 17 and was fortunate

enough that I was able to start playing at a few other local spots, and met and played

whenever I had a chance, Cowboy Jimmie Moore.

It is gone now, and old gas station/service shop is now a vintage furniture shop...

Old
  (#37)
Island Drive
AzB Silver Member
Island Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond repute

04-27-2020, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noMoreSchon View Post
The Golden Cue.

On Menual in Albuquerque NM. 20+ Gold Crown, 6 valleys. Two foosball tables and

assorted arcade games. Now this is a place that is tailored to the young. Full most

nights. Lots of drugs, murder and mayhem any night of the week. And some pool.

It had its fun times though, like holidays, where the other joints would shut down, and

locals like Louie Roybal, Wilfred Mayestas, and the late Kyle Tafoya would come on

down and play ring games with us youngsters. I was fortunate enough to befriend Kyle

and he was always teaching me something. Through him I met Hal Mix, one of the best

coaches of late years. It was a few years later, I was 16 or 17 and was fortunate

enough that I was able to start playing at a few other local spots, and met and played

whenever I had a chance, Cowboy Jimmie Moore.

It is gone now, and old gas station/service shop is now a vintage furniture shop...
They also had a Corner Pocket, like in CO they opened at least half dozen during the same era. Frank McGowan heyday.

www.worldbilliardtour.com
Domain Name Only....

Bill Meacham

Old
  (#38)
Lawnboy77
AzB Silver Member
Lawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond repute

04-27-2020, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Drive View Post
Stompin' grounds. You guyz are takin' me back. Went to SIU Carbondale 67-71 and frequented the surrounding area and the ladies and the lakes and Janscos.

Buddy Hall country, Cape Girardeau, Duquoin, Paducah, Mt. Vernon etc. Tough playing in those wet/damp conditions, but being a kid, every day was another rack of balls.
I used to drive through that area on my way to/from Kentucky and Colorado when I was stationed in Denver, CO.

Do you know what professional player opened up a hall in Bowling Green in the mid to late 80's? Was it Nick Varner? It seems like I remember it was called "Cue Time".

Old
  (#39)
measureman
AzB Silver Member
measureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1500

04-27-2020, 09:11 AM

It was the early 60's in N.J.
Park Billiards Academy but was known as "Pokes" after the owner Sam "One Poke" Fauver.
The room had 8 Anniversary tables with cigarette burn marks on the rails.
Clay balls
Hardwood floors
Faded gray painted walls that were peeling here and there.
An old wooden phone booth with a hand held earpiece.
One pin ball machine.
One bath room.
Soda and snacks only.
No jukebox
No air conditioning
Now that I think back it was like walking into the 1940's.
I loved that place.

New cue-Schmelke custom Bocote merry widow
Playing cue- The Mighty Lucasi Cocobolo
Back up cue - Troy Downey
I woke up.
Triangles tips and Masters chalk are good enough.

Willie said “I will only say this...when I beat Ralph, they would say it was because he was drinking....but every time he beat me, he was drinking too.”

The Truth: If you have a stroke the gear don't matter... If you don't have a stroke the gear won't help.
The above quote by Softshot

Last edited by measureman; 04-27-2020 at 09:13 AM. Reason: added names

Old
  (#40)
CocoboloCowboy
Cowboys are my heros.
CocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1538

04-27-2020, 09:47 AM

Think the first real Pool Room I ever went to was North Hollywood Billiard in the San Fernando Valley of Los Angeles.

It was close to were Ernie build the Gina Cue. Bert Schreder, use to also hang out their. He had a small building where he was building Cue at the time. It was on Ventura Boulvard on the Northsite of the street, behind an old "FIX-IT"Shop. mostly Schreger was repurposing Sneaky Pete. Studio City CA.

North Hollywood Billards was on Magnolia Blvd, just East of Lankershim. It was a huge room, with two room, 4.5' X 9.0', not sure of the brand of tables. Plus maybe 4 or 5, 5"' X 10" The C Tables.

The thing I recall most about North Hollywood Billard were the Road Players who would come at night, when eith Hollywood Park, or Santa Anita had horse racing. These guys would gamble for big bucks, it was fun watching money change hands, and the amount of money at risked, and was like a months pay for me at the time.

Did not serve Beer, or Wine, just Coffee, and Sota Pop in Glass Bottles. Gormet food like Bags Chip, Fretos, and Hot Dogs that were heated in Silver Box with Heat Lamp. Hot Dog was horrible.

Place closed after 40 years. Like many old pool rooms.

https://patch.com/california/northho...after-42-years

“Pool is geometry, in its most challenging form, the science of precise angles, and forces" - Quote from: A Game of Pool, The Twilight Zone 1961 Television Show.

Last edited by CocoboloCowboy; 04-27-2020 at 09:54 AM.

Old
  (#41)
Brookeland Bill
AzB Silver Member
Brookeland Bill has a reputation beyond reputeBrookeland Bill has a reputation beyond reputeBrookeland Bill has a reputation beyond reputeBrookeland Bill has a reputation beyond reputeBrookeland Bill has a reputation beyond reputeBrookeland Bill has a reputation beyond reputeBrookeland Bill has a reputation beyond reputeBrookeland Bill has a reputation beyond reputeBrookeland Bill has a reputation beyond reputeBrookeland Bill has a reputation beyond reputeBrookeland Bill has a reputation beyond repute

04-27-2020, 03:09 PM

Town of 6,000.
Above the pharmacy, Sherman Drug.
Up squeaky stairs.
On the town square.
Dominos and pool.
High stakes moon games.
Four Brunswick 8’ers.
10˘ a rack.
Rack ‘em Andy.
One piece house cues.
Bumpers On cues, maybe.
Wood counting beads.
Wood floors.
Curtain for the toilet door.
Lots of smoke.
Coke box.
5˘ Cokes.
Cigarettes for sale.
No beer.
Lead based chalk.
Off limits to Baptist.
Freshman in high school.
Smelled like smoke.

Mezz
Olivier Sneaky Pete
Olivier Custom
Espirito
Jackson

Last edited by Brookeland Bill; 04-29-2020 at 09:30 AM.

Old
  (#42)
middleofnowhere
Registered
middleofnowhere has a reputation beyond reputemiddleofnowhere has a reputation beyond reputemiddleofnowhere has a reputation beyond reputemiddleofnowhere has a reputation beyond reputemiddleofnowhere has a reputation beyond reputemiddleofnowhere has a reputation beyond reputemiddleofnowhere has a reputation beyond reputemiddleofnowhere has a reputation beyond reputemiddleofnowhere has a reputation beyond reputemiddleofnowhere has a reputation beyond reputemiddleofnowhere has a reputation beyond repute

04-27-2020, 04:43 PM

Like most players who grew up in the 60's I started playing in a bowling alley. I my case it was one of those huge Brunswick places . The pool room was 25 tables with lots of room to play and lite up like a department store, no lights just over the tables. Beautiful Gold Crowns and tru balance cues. You could take any cue out of the rack and play with it, It was beautifully maintained.

I practically lived there and later on I I ran the place for a few years. I almost feel sorry for young players who don't have places like that to play today. In fact in my area there was no less then six bowling alleys with nice poolrooms. It was pool heaven with $2 and $5 ring games everywhere. 5 and 9 games, pill pool you name it. This was not that long after the "Hustler" and pool was really on a roll.
I feel fortunate to have grown up then and taken up pool. Although I was a top little league player that soon fell to wayside as pool took over my brain.

Old
  (#43)
Taxi
AzB Silver Member
Taxi has a reputation beyond reputeTaxi has a reputation beyond reputeTaxi has a reputation beyond reputeTaxi has a reputation beyond reputeTaxi has a reputation beyond reputeTaxi has a reputation beyond reputeTaxi has a reputation beyond reputeTaxi has a reputation beyond reputeTaxi has a reputation beyond reputeTaxi has a reputation beyond reputeTaxi has a reputation beyond repute

04-27-2020, 04:54 PM

First local room I ever played in was the Duke Sport Shop near Five Points in Durham, NC, down the road from the Women's campus at Duke.

House man was a lush named Billy. There was a mynah bird behind the bar whose entire vocabulary consisted of "YOUR MAMMY!". The food consisted of beef jerky, BBQ pork rinds, and peanuts stuffed into the neck of a 6 ounce coke bottle. The beer always came with salt on the top of the can to take away the tin taste.

Oh, and the clock above the bar ran backwards. A nice little touch.

The "rack boy" (5 cents a cue) was a one armed man named Jules, who looked like a dead ringer for Nikita Khrushchev. The racks weren't always the tightest.

The only high quality local shortstop was a redhead named Mike Wynn, who looked like an older version of the banjo playing boy at the beginning of Deliverance. Cole Dickson wiped the floor with him at another room, The Brass Rail, a few years later, but still, the boy could play. Tried to hustle around DC, but got busted by Charlie DeValliere at Beanie's, and it was back to Square One. I wonder what happened to him?

Best road player I ever saw in there was Bill Lawson, who had the best nine ball break I ever saw. Made two or three balls on every break and parked the one ball by the side pocket to make for an easy runout. Freddy the Beard pegged him as one of the three best 9 ball players in the country before the hooch got to him.

The only other memorable thing about this room was it had a great 5 x 10 snooker table with the tightest pockets imaginable. Ring payball games on that table were the absolute nuts.

Great room, and it's only been gone for about, oh, 48 years. The good ones always die young.

Old
  (#44)
MANPUSS
AzB Silver Member
MANPUSS has a reputation beyond reputeMANPUSS has a reputation beyond reputeMANPUSS has a reputation beyond reputeMANPUSS has a reputation beyond reputeMANPUSS has a reputation beyond reputeMANPUSS has a reputation beyond reputeMANPUSS has a reputation beyond reputeMANPUSS has a reputation beyond reputeMANPUSS has a reputation beyond reputeMANPUSS has a reputation beyond reputeMANPUSS has a reputation beyond repute

04-27-2020, 05:21 PM

got into pool in the 80ties as teenager, played at one local speakeasy , all gold crown tables , 2 bar tables . 2 main tables at the front for pros and big money games.
the local guy from my town was harold dollar . fat little round man . but could play big time . then another guy who had one of Gus cues . i felt cool just holding it ..

table were like 3 bucks an hour . had tournaments every weekend . everyone could play up til 8 pm when tournament started .

i remember people doing coke off the keyno boards . we used to have 4 pool halls , none now . life changed at 20 i had 2 kids , wife . and then what was important changed / family took over. gave it up for long time . in 95 put a big g 9 foot in my shop and played time to time . now i have 4 year old grand daughter . who takes up Poppy's time . but im slowly getting back into it alittle .

what was weird we played of 5 way 6 ball on 9 ft table . it got popular like 9 ball. 5 bucks to get in rack . surprisingly everyone ended up getting shots . i had friend who i acted like i did not know go in and play i would show up hour later , and we rack up some coin

Last edited by MANPUSS; 04-27-2020 at 05:25 PM.

Jimmy Hodges- cue time
Old
  (#45)
raycharlesbrown
AzB Silver Member
raycharlesbrown has a reputation beyond reputeraycharlesbrown has a reputation beyond reputeraycharlesbrown has a reputation beyond reputeraycharlesbrown has a reputation beyond reputeraycharlesbrown has a reputation beyond reputeraycharlesbrown has a reputation beyond reputeraycharlesbrown has a reputation beyond reputeraycharlesbrown has a reputation beyond reputeraycharlesbrown has a reputation beyond reputeraycharlesbrown has a reputation beyond reputeraycharlesbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Jimmy Hodges- cue time - 04-27-2020, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawnboy77 View Post
I used to drive through that area on my way to/from Kentucky and Colorado when I was stationed in Denver, CO.

Do you know what professional player opened up a hall in Bowling Green in the mid to late 80's? Was it Nick Varner? It seems like I remember it was called "Cue Time".

Room still there

Page 3 of 4 123 4

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: