Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page More brokedown billiards tails.
Page 2 of 2 12

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
jimmyco
NRA4Life

jimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

05-18-2020, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaime_lion View Post
The truck stops I am familiar with have a bar and restaurant. Do all moose lodges have such pool tables? I am going to assume our moose lodge will have a valley bar box like every other place I have been too. I would purchase pool or maybe a drink sometimes but not this time.
Last I played at your Moose it had a Gold Crown, maybe two.

Way better than Flying J.

Player-Bob Owen Custom
Breaker-N.E. O'Barqueue
Case-Rusty Melton 1x2

Old
  (#17)
BC21
Poolology

BC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond repute

05-18-2020, 11:25 AM

Locally, several years back, there was a great action place called Whitey's (Sandwich Shop) here in Charleston WV. A lot of great players came through over the years. The place closed down when Whitey died. Eventually it was leased out and became a VFW biker bar. The 9ft table had been taken out, but the two 8ft Diamond tables were still in the place, and some fool painted them flat black and put dark bluish purple shag felt on them.

Well, the placed closed down and now the lady that owns it (Whitey's wife) is going to reopen it again. Not sure what the new name will be, but I've been playing over there about once a week over the last couple of months with 2 or 3 other players. It's not an open business yet, still being remolded a bit. But both tables are now back to their original wood grain, no more black paint, and both have Simonis cloth.

I was a bit broken hearted when I first walked in a couple of months ago. It was the first time I'd been there since the Whitey passed away. One of the tables had already been stripped of the black paint and had been recovered with Simonis. The other was still flat black with dark shaggy felt. It was weird looking at that table in that state, thinking of the great players that had once played on it...Baltimore Red, Larry Price, Danny Brown, Shannon Daulton, Andy Stanley, Roger Whitey, etc.... A lot of good action and good times on that corner table. And I remember thinking it was now so ugly that most of those guys wouldn't even piss on it, much less play on it.

Anyhow, both tables are back to normal, clean wood grain, nice Simonis cloth, new balls.... The old place is looking good.

Old
  (#18)
jaime_lion
AzB Silver Member
jaime_lion has a reputation beyond reputejaime_lion has a reputation beyond reputejaime_lion has a reputation beyond reputejaime_lion has a reputation beyond reputejaime_lion has a reputation beyond reputejaime_lion has a reputation beyond reputejaime_lion has a reputation beyond reputejaime_lion has a reputation beyond reputejaime_lion has a reputation beyond reputejaime_lion has a reputation beyond reputejaime_lion has a reputation beyond repute

05-18-2020, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyco View Post
Last I played at your Moose it had a Gold Crown, maybe two.

Way better than Flying J.
So I went over to the moose club today and apparently you have to be a member in order to go in.

Old
  (#19)
DaveK
pre-proscribed
DaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 526

05-18-2020, 07:07 PM

Quote:
.... They were so worn that the stripe balls were almost looking like cue balls. The solids had no numbers on them. They were just red or yellow etc. Not sure if they bought them that way to replace the original solids or if the numbers had worn off. ...

Anywho have you guys seen similar?

Thanks
Quite common in the UK ... not so much in South Dakota I would think but who knows.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackball_(pool)

Dave

Can't fix stupid, you're on your own.

Old
  (#20)
jaime_lion
AzB Silver Member
jaime_lion has a reputation beyond reputejaime_lion has a reputation beyond reputejaime_lion has a reputation beyond reputejaime_lion has a reputation beyond reputejaime_lion has a reputation beyond reputejaime_lion has a reputation beyond reputejaime_lion has a reputation beyond reputejaime_lion has a reputation beyond reputejaime_lion has a reputation beyond reputejaime_lion has a reputation beyond reputejaime_lion has a reputation beyond repute

05-18-2020, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
Quite common in the UK ... not so much in South Dakota I would think but who knows.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackball_(pool)

Dave
I played that game on my phone once.

Old
  (#21)
Straightpool_99
I see dead balls
Straightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond repute

05-18-2020, 07:44 PM

If you want premium tables, play at a proper club or poolroom, or at home.

Going to run down bars, what do you expect? I've had plenty of fun on bad tables. Tables that roll slow, have worn out balls etc..The only thing that completely ruin a table is if it's seriously out of level. All those other things can be overcome.

One of the most interesting pool times I've had was at an outdoor, aluminium table. I was playing for money against other tourists. The table didn't have fast cushions, it had slow felt and the balls were some sort of strange polyester blend that were too light. Had a blast, and wouldn't you know, nobody were complaining about the tables, even the guys who were losing. I figured out a type of banks were dead on this table, and every time they came up, I shot those banks. Won quite a bit on that table over a couple of days of non-stop playing. Maybe it was the balls? They didn't seem to reverse as much as premium balls do. You could nail straight backs all day if you shot them with the right speed, and even angles that would be impossible on normal tables would go with that certain "off" speed.

If you go around to places that don't prioritize keeping their tables in order, you'd better figure out how to play under different conditions. If you can adapt better than your opponents, you'll win and have a good time.

Last edited by Straightpool_99; 05-18-2020 at 07:47 PM.

Old
  (#22)
DaveK
pre-proscribed
DaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 526

05-18-2020, 07:47 PM

Quote:
I played that game on my phone once.
What are you on about? You asked about the yellow and red balls and I replied with information .... not sure I am interested in answering any more of your questions, you don't seem to understand or appreciate what you are being told.

Dave

Can't fix stupid, you're on your own.

Old
  (#23)
jaime_lion
AzB Silver Member

05-18-2020, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
What are you on about? You asked about the yellow and red balls and I replied with information .... not sure I am interested in answering any more of your questions, you don't seem to understand or appreciate what you are being told.

Dave

I played that game on my phone. I downloaded a pool game and played it on my phone. Not sure what more needs to be said.

Anywho when I played standard 8 ball on this table at the truck stop the balls were very used. It was not blackball.

Old
  (#24)
jaime_lion
AzB Silver Member

05-18-2020, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straightpool_99 View Post
If you want premium tables, play at a proper club or poolroom, or at home.

Going to run down bars, what do you expect? I've had plenty of fun on bad tables. Tables that roll slow, have worn out balls etc..The only thing that completely ruin a table is if it's seriously out of level. All those other things can be overcome.

One of the most interesting pool times I've had was at an outdoor, aluminium table. I was playing for money against other tourists. The table didn't have fast cushions, it had slow felt and the balls were some sort of strange polyester blend that were too light. Had a blast, and wouldn't you know, nobody were complaining about the tables, even the guys who were losing. I figured out a type of banks were dead on this table, and every time they came up, I shot those banks. Won quite a bit on that table over a couple of days of non-stop playing. Maybe it was the balls? They didn't seem to reverse as much as premium balls do. You could nail straight backs all day if you shot them with the right speed, and even angles that would be impossible on normal tables would go with that certain "off" speed.

If you go around to places that don't prioritize keeping their tables in order, you'd better figure out how to play under different conditions. If you can adapt better than your opponents, you'll win and have a good time.
I do not go to rundown bars. And as I have said in the past I play at a pool room. It is just not open at all times so I go elsewhere. Also I am learning about all the kinds of tables and such so I will know when leagues start up. Because leagues are only played on bar boxes at bars.

Mainly I am posting cause I am in shock that places don't upkeep their equipment. I mean I would upkeep the equipment if I owned a place.

Old
  (#25)
Dan_B
AzB Gold Member
Dan_B has a reputation beyond reputeDan_B has a reputation beyond reputeDan_B has a reputation beyond reputeDan_B has a reputation beyond reputeDan_B has a reputation beyond reputeDan_B has a reputation beyond reputeDan_B has a reputation beyond reputeDan_B has a reputation beyond reputeDan_B has a reputation beyond reputeDan_B has a reputation beyond reputeDan_B has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 455

05-18-2020, 09:33 PM

Quote:
So I went over to the moose club today and apparently you have to be a member in order to go in.
..you chose not to become a member?

Old
  (#26)
jaime_lion
AzB Silver Member

05-18-2020, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_B View Post
..you chose not to become a member?
Why would I want to be a member? What benefits does it give me? I dont see any reason to join. Maybe you could enlighten me?

Page 2 of 2 12

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: