Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Willie Hoppe cue and “Expert Leather Cue Case”
Page 2 of 4 12 34

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
classiccues
Enlightened.....
classiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

05-22-2020, 03:20 PM

I believe those cases were made by Schmidt and both Schmidt and Brunswick sold them. Maybe they were private labeled.. or something like that...

My cousin lives in Pass Christian..

JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biloxi Boy View Post
The person who owned the cue and case lived in rural Harrison County was a "horseman" -- several saddles and other tack, all well cared for, were in the sale but no other pool items. The butt section shows some play the shaft has one blemish. It was definitely not used a great deal.

They are not for sale. At first I thought about restoring or converting but with a little tlc it took on a beauty of its own.

Between Deepwater Horizon, Bonne Carret Spillway opening, and way too many fishermen, the north central Gulf is not the same.

www.classiccues.com
Large Cue listing and cases are coming

Updated 6/29/2020 more to come... all NEW

Sales to be updated soon - by 4/10

Premium Custom Cues for Sale and Vintage Billiard and Pool Exchange on Facebook....

Old
  (#17)
Cuebuddy
Mini cues
Cuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond repute

05-22-2020, 04:54 PM

Very nice find! What I find most interesting about the cue is the "still" vivid colors of the veneers.
Most of the old Professionals I have seen have very faded colors.
I have read that the early cues used real hardwoods on the points that were not dyed and the newer Hoppe's were dyed.
I am not sure if it is true or not but none of my old Hoppe's have that bright of veneers.

Cuebuddy

"I'm terrified every time you shoot"
Chisolm W

"14-1, 9 ball, 8 ball whats the difference....you put balls in holes."
Measureman

Old
  (#18)
Biloxi Boy
Man With A Golden Arm
Biloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

05-22-2020, 05:45 PM

JV -- Pass Christian is a great place -- front porch of New Orleans and home of Robin Roberts. "The Pass", year after year, has the best Mardi Gras parade anyone will ever participate in. The place is usually a sleepy little southern town by the Gulf, but on the Sunday before Mardi Gras Day, the town feels like it is about to lift off into outer space -- cranked way too high up.

CueBuddy, as to veneer color -- three things: it appears this cue was really cared for (the leather wrap had a minor issue and the butt had been around feet but the foreatm did not have a single ding), I cleaned the points with alcohol, and, of course, I picked out the best picture of the best point. LOL.

I've also wonder about veneers: a) can veneers be recolored or redyed and b) will sanding and refinishing bring them back up?

"It's all in the wrist, with a deck or a cue"
Epitaph of Frankie Machine

Old
  (#19)
Lawnboy77
AzB Silver Member
Lawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond repute

05-22-2020, 06:02 PM

Super nice! You have a sweet slice of history. Thanks for sharing, I love the big clear pics, it sure brings out that beautiful Rosewood.

Old
  (#20)
Cuebuddy
Mini cues
Cuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond repute

05-22-2020, 06:06 PM

I have near ten of these old cues...never had the heart to sand one but I have heard that when you sand them down they will get more vivid.
The information that you posted on the cue will be saved to my files. Finding solid facts about these cues and Brunswick history in general is hit and miss.
Many that knew facts have left us but there typed words live on in many cases. I have a folder that I have added web links to but sadly many sites are now defunct.
Your cue and case would be hard to replace, so many times I hear from folks that they "wished I still had that cue"
That will never happen to me since I NEVER SELL ANY OF MY CUES

Cuebuddy

Chisolm W

Measureman

Old
  (#21)
TATE
AzB Gold Mensch
TATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

05-22-2020, 06:43 PM

This one is very similar to the case used in 'The Hustler" - here's a pretty good thread about it we all did trying to figure it out:

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=217228

I had an AE Schmidt catalog from 1957 (still do somewhere) that showed a similar case and it's shown in the thread. Brunswick made one as well. These tooling designs were influenced by fishing rod cases from the early 1900's. I have one from 1920 with similar tooling designs.

None of the production cases are exact to the Hustler case from what i can tell. I have a feeling "Macguy", who knew a lot, might have it right - a custom made case with similar designs.

Visit my historic cues site:
www.palmercollector.com

Last edited by TATE; 05-22-2020 at 06:47 PM.

Old
  (#22)
Biloxi Boy
Man With A Golden Arm
Biloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond repute

05-22-2020, 07:05 PM

I felt I screwed up with the photos because it spread the text out so bad.

I read a lot of old posts and in doing so ran into too many 404 error messages, Printing the info and saving it is a wonderful idea. Another good idea is AZB acting as a conservator of all things billiards . . . but that is for another day.

I read and re-read The Hustler case post several times. I just saw the movie on TV and when the case was shown, I paused the TV and examined it closely. I want to say that the photos posted were "stills" and, in my mind, do not match the movie itself, but closer examination is needed. Brunswick quit selling the tooled leather case about 6 years before the movie came out (probably 4 years befor filming started . . .) There is no doubt in my mind that there is a common root to both Brunswick tooled cases and the Hustler cases.

Old
  (#23)
classiccues
Enlightened.....
classiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond repute

05-23-2020, 04:58 PM

Here is a shot of the AESCO catalog 1957. The case does NOT appear in the 1964 catalog.

JV
Attached Images

www.classiccues.com
Large Cue listing and cases are coming

Updated 6/29/2020 more to come... all NEW

Sales to be updated soon - by 4/10

Premium Custom Cues for Sale and Vintage Billiard and Pool Exchange on Facebook....

Old
  (#24)
Cuebuddy
Mini cues

05-23-2020, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by classiccues View Post
Here is a shot of the AESCO catalog 1957. The case does NOT appear in the 1964 catalog.

JV
At $20.35 I would like two of them. Can I order through you?

Cuebuddy

Chisolm W

Measureman

Old
  (#25)
ideologist
I don't never exaggerate
ideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond repute

05-23-2020, 06:07 PM

I love the phrase "composition leather"

Nice way to say "vinyl and particle board"

Snowflakes in Hawaii meltdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavafongoul View Post
This may sound smug on my part

Old
  (#26)
cuesblues
cue accumulator

cuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

05-23-2020, 06:26 PM

I love that case
Very nice

player...Paul Mottey, Joel Hercek, Larry Vigus
player...Barry Szamboti, South West, Bob Runde
player...A-E, Lomax, Phillippi, Terry McFadden
player...Harvey Martin, Bob Frey, Kent Davis
player...Bob Owen, Paul Drexler, Woodworth
player...Dave Jones, Predator, Loveland Customs
breaker.Judd Fuller
jumper..Jacoby Jumper
shooter..Sig Sauer P226 357
cutter.....Spyderco Massad Ayoob

Old
  (#27)
Biloxi Boy
Man With A Golden Arm

05-23-2020, 10:35 PM

Interesting. The 1949 Brunswick catalog shows the Expert case (magnify the case and the leather tooling is visible):
1949 Catalog -- page 5
https://brunswick.pastperfectonline....5-865857305584

The Expert case is gone from the 1955 Brunswick and only the Aristocrat remained:
1955 Catalog -- page 7
https://brunswick.pastperfectonline....0-604845147363

Is 1957 the first year the case appears in the AESCO catalog? My guess is that afer Brunswick no longer offered the case (for wharever reason) AESCO began marketing it

Last edited by Biloxi Boy; 05-23-2020 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Typos

Old
  (#28)
ideologist
I don't never exaggerate
ideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond repute

05-23-2020, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Interesting. The 1949 Brunswick catalog shows the Expert case (magnify the case and the leather tooling is visible):
1949 Catalog -- page 5
https://brunswick.pastperfectonline....5-865857305584

The Expert case is gone from the 1955 Brunswick and only the Aristocrat remained:
1955 Catalog -- page 7
https://brunswick.pastperfectonline....0-604845147363

Is 1957 the first year the case appears in the AESCO catalog? My guess is that afer Brunswick no longer offered the case (for wharever reason) AESCO began marketing it
The brass nametag is the AE Schmidt version

Quote:

Old
  (#29)
Biloxi Boy
Man With A Golden Arm

05-23-2020, 11:19 PM

I disagree. The 1949 Brunswick catalog describes a "Handsome brass nametag".

Old
  (#30)
ideologist
I don't never exaggerate

05-23-2020, 11:23 PM

Quote:
I disagree. The 1949 Brunswick catalog describes a "Handsome brass nametag".
It was larger and more decorative. The plainer nametag you showed does not match the old Brunswick cases, it matches the later AE Schmidt style

I'll post pics of both and you'll see what I mean

Quote:

Page 2 of 4 12 34

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: