Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page do you use talcum powder?
Page 3 of 3 123

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#31)
Biloxi Boy
Registered
Biloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

05-23-2020, 04:52 AM

Cue Silk "4-5 drops on paper towel. Buff 30 seconds"

"It's all in the wrist, with a deck or a cue"
Epitaph of Frankie Machine

Old
  (#32)
Johnny Rosato
AzB Silver Member
Johnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond repute

05-23-2020, 05:21 AM

I'm retired but If I'm wearing jeans and helping a friend building a deck or framing an addition in the Alabama summertime, I may get some talc to dust up under my fellas a time or 2, cornstarch works better though.

Old
  (#33)
HNTFSH
Birds, Bass & Bottoms

HNTFSH has a reputation beyond reputeHNTFSH has a reputation beyond reputeHNTFSH has a reputation beyond reputeHNTFSH has a reputation beyond reputeHNTFSH has a reputation beyond reputeHNTFSH has a reputation beyond reputeHNTFSH has a reputation beyond reputeHNTFSH has a reputation beyond reputeHNTFSH has a reputation beyond reputeHNTFSH has a reputation beyond reputeHNTFSH has a reputation beyond repute

05-23-2020, 05:27 AM

Player #1: McDermott G1402
Player #2: Weir (or should I say Adam's Japan) Sneaky Pete
Break: McDermott Sledgehammer
Backup: Colt 1911

Deplorable since 1776

Old
  (#34)
asbani
AzB Silver Member
asbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 498

05-24-2020, 04:06 PM

I always use Johnson powder, Iím so used to it, friends offered trying gloves but I didnít like it and went back to using powder.

Now this thread made me a little bit concern and worried, should I change my habits? Or is it all a myth, also what are my other options if I dislike gloves?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old
  (#35)
AzB Silver Member
Cron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond repute

05-24-2020, 04:48 PM

I will _NOT_ miss talcum powder.

As far as moist hands, well, it probably sucks to have them but on the other side of the coin moist hands are less prone to flaking. I do feel extremely moist hands are far, far better than people with extremely dry hands due to fungi which create painful crevices and sometimes extreme flaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbani View Post
... what are my other options if I dislike gloves?
Rosin bags and corn starch is popular, but please don't use them if you're on a public table. Besides just the look of it, they also increase flaking of the skin, so it's kind of nasty all around.

Have you tried other materials for gloves? There's plenty of materials to try. For me in particular, it wasn't so much that I minded wearing a glove, it was that I didn't like the feel of the material. The resistance was better, but it felt too smooth. For instance I started playing around with some old suede and it felt better (although it increases friction).

All that said, the reason I want a carbon fiber shaft is because I don't want to wear a glove, that's honestly the #1 reason. Carbon fiber shafts feel really good without a glove, I like them much better (or maybe I'm telling myself that because I don't want to wear a glove :-/).

Last edited by Cron; 05-24-2020 at 05:04 PM.

Old
  (#36)
SBC
AzB Silver Member
SBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond repute

05-24-2020, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evergruven View Post
fyi, johnson and johnson will no longer be selling the stuff here (north america)
due to glut of lawsuits alleging that j&j powder use can cause cancer
google it to find your favorite news outlet reporting

with the glove out there, and "in my case," hand sanitizer
does anybody still use talc?
Long as you keep the powder out of your vagina, you should be fine.

Old
  (#37)
asbani
AzB Silver Member
asbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 498

05-24-2020, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cron View Post
I will _NOT_ miss talcum powder.

As far as moist hands, well, it probably sucks to have them but on the other side of the coin moist hands are less prone to flaking. I do feel extremely moist hands are far, far better than people with extremely dry hands due to fungi which create painful crevices and sometimes extreme flaking.

All that said, the reason I want a carbon fiber shaft is because I don't want to wear a glove, that's honestly the #1 reason. Carbon fiber shafts feel really good without a glove, I like them much better (or maybe I'm telling myself that because I don't want to wear a glove :-/).
I swear this forums driving me insane, you say that the #1 reason for using CF shaft is that it felt good without a glove? And I keep hearing the exact opposite, that with a CF you must and I mean must use a glove, also that you canít use powder with a CF shaft.

Actually if you watch online, all pros who use CF shaft are also using gloves 100%, check that out.

So Iím curious to know which brand of CF youíre using that itís too smooth to the skin? I know with Revo you must use a glove honestly most people say this.

Old
  (#38)
RiverCity
AzB Silver Member
RiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond repute

05-24-2020, 05:41 PM

Quote:
I swear this forums driving me insane, you say that the #1 reason for using CF shaft is that it felt good without a glove? And I keep hearing the exact opposite, that with a CF you must and I mean must use a glove, also that you canít use powder with a CF shaft.

Actually if you watch online, all pros who use CF shaft are also using gloves 100%, check that out.

So Iím curious to know which brand of CF youíre using that itís too smooth to the skin? I know with Revo you must use a glove honestly most people say this.

Not sure why its driving you insane. This is not a lab full of scientists giving you data compiled from controlled experiments. This is a forum where pool players give their opinions, right or wrong. Different people have different experiences.

That said, I have played with Predator cf shafts, and own 2 cuetec cf shafts. I dont wear gloves with any of them. The do need to be cleaned/wiped down more often, as crud seems to adhere to them easier than a wood shaft.

I grew up in Kentucky, and in the summers it was pretty much 100 degrees, and 100% humidity for most of July and August each year. The months on either end of those werent great either. We used talc, and used it properly. The tables had no powder on them. Nobody complained about chalk on tables, cause there was no chalk on the tables. Even the casual players knew how to use the cones of talc without it making a mess.

That said, I still carry a talc bag in my case for places I go into where the air is damp and or sticky.

Old
  (#39)
HawaiianEye
AzB Silver Member
HawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond repute

05-24-2020, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCity View Post
Not sure why its driving you insane. This is not a lab full of scientists giving you data compiled from controlled experiments. This is a forum where pool players give their opinions, right or wrong. Different people have different experiences.

That said, I have played with Predator cf shafts, and own 2 cuetec cf shafts. I dont wear gloves with any of them. The do need to be cleaned/wiped down more often, as crud seems to adhere to them easier than a wood shaft.

I grew up in Kentucky, and in the summers it was pretty much 100 degrees, and 100% humidity for most of July and August each year. The months on either end of those werent great either. We used talc, and used it properly. The tables had no powder on them. Nobody complained about chalk on tables, cause there was no chalk on the tables. Even the casual players knew how to use the cones of talc without it making a mess.

That said, I still carry a talc bag in my case for places I go into where the air is damp and or sticky.
I carry powder and corn starch in my pool bag, but I haven't used it in ages.

I have been using a glove for a few years and have gotten used to it, but I still prefer no glove and powder, even though it would take me a bit to get back to the feel.

I have a package of about 10 cheap gloves from China in my bag that should last me for quite a while.

When this lock down is over, I may try a day of playing with no glove and back to my powder.

I ain't afraid of powder.

The Hustler

Such a man spends all his life playing every day for small stakes. Give him every morning the money that he may gain during the day, on condition that he does not play-you will make him unhappy. It will perhaps be said what he seeks is the amusement of play, not gain. Let him play then for nothing, he will lose interest and be wearied. ***Blaise Pascal***

Old
  (#40)
Palmetto cue
AzB Silver Member
Palmetto cue has a reputation beyond reputePalmetto cue has a reputation beyond reputePalmetto cue has a reputation beyond reputePalmetto cue has a reputation beyond reputePalmetto cue has a reputation beyond reputePalmetto cue has a reputation beyond reputePalmetto cue has a reputation beyond reputePalmetto cue has a reputation beyond reputePalmetto cue has a reputation beyond reputePalmetto cue has a reputation beyond reputePalmetto cue has a reputation beyond repute

05-24-2020, 06:00 PM

No, no, no.

Old
  (#41)
AzB Silver Member
Cron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond repute

05-24-2020, 08:55 PM

Quote:

REVO, and I must not wear a glove, although I'd love the benefits of those 2 synthetics combined if I did prefer to wear a glove. REVO without a glove feels different than wood, but with a glove all shafts feel the same. I think that is an overlooked benefit of gloves, but probably not to pros.

As RiverCity pointed out, if you have moist hands they become gummy faster due to the texture, and this is my opinion. I don't have extremely dry hands like you'd see from dermatitis, but they are about as dry as they come without my skin cracking, so I prefer the fine porous texture of REVO's synthetic shaft over smooth poly.

Before using a REVO, I would of never gave smooth poly finishes a second thought. I'm pretty sure there is detrimental effects in using a CF shaft without a glove, but that's how much I prefer the feeling. Of course since I have dry hands, just about anything works equally.

Old
  (#42)
Ghosst
Broom Handle Mafia
Ghosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 825

05-25-2020, 08:48 AM

I pour talc on my glove when using the Preodair to keep it smooth but I'm careful to only spill it over the table cloth itself. No talc on my rails baby!

Run racks, not your mouth.

Page 3 of 3 123

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: