Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Shane vs. 5 Filipinos at the Open

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Shane vs. 5 Filipinos at the Open
Old
  (#1)
EasyMoney
AzB Silver Member
EasyMoney has a reputation beyond reputeEasyMoney has a reputation beyond reputeEasyMoney has a reputation beyond reputeEasyMoney has a reputation beyond reputeEasyMoney has a reputation beyond reputeEasyMoney has a reputation beyond reputeEasyMoney has a reputation beyond reputeEasyMoney has a reputation beyond reputeEasyMoney has a reputation beyond reputeEasyMoney has a reputation beyond reputeEasyMoney has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2000

Shane vs. 5 Filipinos at the Open - 10-26-2012, 06:46 PM

Amazing with the diverse field - same usual suspects at the end.

Old
  (#2)
gunzby
My light saber is LD
gunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 17375

10-26-2012, 07:40 PM

The murderers row of the pool world.

It's really hard to pull for one over the other.

Yes my custom cue also doubles as a light saber. You might say that it shoots lights out. You are now activated Agent 92395. Obtain the funds from Goldman Sachs and deposit into my Swiss account. This message will make you shit your pants in 5 seconds. Sev found it first.

Old
  (#3)
MOJOE
Work Hard, Be Humble. jbk
MOJOE has a reputation beyond reputeMOJOE has a reputation beyond reputeMOJOE has a reputation beyond reputeMOJOE has a reputation beyond reputeMOJOE has a reputation beyond reputeMOJOE has a reputation beyond reputeMOJOE has a reputation beyond reputeMOJOE has a reputation beyond reputeMOJOE has a reputation beyond reputeMOJOE has a reputation beyond reputeMOJOE has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 325
  Send a message via AIM to MOJOE Send a message via Yahoo to MOJOE  
10-26-2012, 07:41 PM

I saw that. How strong!!!

Old
  (#4)
JB Cases
www.jbcases.com

JB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 5700
  Send a message via AIM to JB Cases Send a message via MSN to JB Cases Send a message via Yahoo to JB Cases Send a message via Skype™ to JB Cases 
10-26-2012, 07:51 PM

I think it would only be Shane vs. a couple Filipinos because he doesn't have to play all five of them. :-)

It is amazing though that the Chinese contingent didn't finish higher nor did any of the other top players from around the world. Five of the top six is impressive seen from a country perspective.

Guess the Chinese might be feeling a little bit of what the foreigners feel when they come to China, jet lag coupled with different conditions. The Filipinos are used to the conditions. I feel a bit bad for Daz though as a three peat would have been historical.

Design Your Own Case. <---click here
The world's first and only online cue case designer brought to you by JB Cases. Try it.

jb@jbcases.com Skype: jbideas

Center To Edge Aiming Works. See it for yourself here.

Stan Shuffet's You Tube Channel. - CTE Demonstrations

"No such thing as a 1/2 ball hit....." - Duckie

Old
  (#5)
jsp
AzB Silver Member
jsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2600

10-26-2012, 08:18 PM

I remember during one of the IPT tournaments they had a group picture of all these pinoys standing in a line. I believe the only one missing from the picture is Marlon Manalo.

EDIT: Oh, and Busty was also in the pic.

Last edited by jsp; 10-26-2012 at 08:24 PM.

Old
  (#6)
vincentwu817
AzB Silver Member
vincentwu817 has a reputation beyond reputevincentwu817 has a reputation beyond reputevincentwu817 has a reputation beyond reputevincentwu817 has a reputation beyond reputevincentwu817 has a reputation beyond reputevincentwu817 has a reputation beyond reputevincentwu817 has a reputation beyond reputevincentwu817 has a reputation beyond reputevincentwu817 has a reputation beyond reputevincentwu817 has a reputation beyond reputevincentwu817 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

10-26-2012, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Cases View Post
I think it would only be Shane vs. a couple Filipinos because he doesn't have to play all five of them. :-)

It is amazing though that the Chinese contingent didn't finish higher nor did any of the other top players from around the world. Five of the top six is impressive seen from a country perspective.

Guess the Chinese might be feeling a little bit of what the foreigners feel when they come to China, jet lag coupled with different conditions. The Filipinos are used to the conditions. I feel a bit bad for Daz though as a three peat would have been historical.
I think the Filipinos are simply just more comfortable in different situations just because they are more used to travelling and playing in all types of environments. Chang Jung Lin from Taiwan had a good finish though considering that the people he lost to are Alex and Ronnie. If it was a format of magic rack with side breaks, I would give the edge to Chang to take it all, but the Filipinos are definitely more versatile to different playing conditions and formats.

Old
  (#7)
highkarate
AzB Silver Member
highkarate has a reputation beyond reputehighkarate has a reputation beyond reputehighkarate has a reputation beyond reputehighkarate has a reputation beyond reputehighkarate has a reputation beyond reputehighkarate has a reputation beyond reputehighkarate has a reputation beyond reputehighkarate has a reputation beyond reputehighkarate has a reputation beyond reputehighkarate has a reputation beyond reputehighkarate has a reputation beyond repute

10-26-2012, 10:58 PM

at the beginning of the open i had ronnie, dennis, busty, and carlo biado as my favorites. even though i was all wrong, no surprise its still the men from the PI standing. they all play very well it's like an "any given sunday" type situation.

thats just like, your opinion man

Old
  (#8)
JB Cases
www.jbcases.com

JB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 5700
  Send a message via AIM to JB Cases Send a message via MSN to JB Cases Send a message via Yahoo to JB Cases Send a message via Skype™ to JB Cases 
10-26-2012, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentwu817 View Post
I think the Filipinos are simply just more comfortable in different situations just because they are more used to travelling and playing in all types of environments. Chang Jung Lin from Taiwan had a good finish though considering that the people he lost to are Alex and Ronnie. If it was a format of magic rack with side breaks, I would give the edge to Chang to take it all, but the Filipinos are definitely more versatile to different playing conditions and formats.
I agree. That was also my point, them going to many different places to play puts them into a better to position to excel despite the conditions.

I really expected to see some of the Chinese and Taiwanese do better but I think it's due to the conditions and the jet lag that they didn't do better. I talked with Oscar Dominguez and he said all the guys he has played in China are invited to come to his house and play on his tables for as much as they carry. He just feels like the conditions in China vs. the USA are worth several games at the minimum.

He ought to know. FWIW though I also think that Filipinos also have a natural disposition to not caring too much about the conditions and adapting to them. Nothing wrong with the US Open conditions just saying that I think that they have the attitude that they can walk into any situation and PLAY.

Now having said that, when Luat was here a month or so ago he played a couple low stakes matches and one of them on Chinese conditions, super fast cloth with weird reactions off the rails he lost because he could not keep control of the cue ball. The next night he played on an old Gold Crown with slower cloth and he won.

But really, to end up with five of the top six spots!!!

Someone needs to get the American pros together and put them through constant match play like the Filipinos in Manila. I wish I had the money, I would back an American team and do just that. Not because I think that the Americans would dominate, those days are over now that the rest of the world has caught up, but because I think that Americans are simply too soft right now due to lack of constant competition for pecking order.

Design Your Own Case. <---click here
The world's first and only online cue case designer brought to you by JB Cases. Try it.

jb@jbcases.com Skype: jbideas

Center To Edge Aiming Works. See it for yourself here.

Stan Shuffet's You Tube Channel. - CTE Demonstrations

"No such thing as a 1/2 ball hit....." - Duckie

Old
  (#9)
vincentwu817
AzB Silver Member
vincentwu817 has a reputation beyond reputevincentwu817 has a reputation beyond reputevincentwu817 has a reputation beyond reputevincentwu817 has a reputation beyond reputevincentwu817 has a reputation beyond reputevincentwu817 has a reputation beyond reputevincentwu817 has a reputation beyond reputevincentwu817 has a reputation beyond reputevincentwu817 has a reputation beyond reputevincentwu817 has a reputation beyond reputevincentwu817 has a reputation beyond repute

10-27-2012, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Cases View Post
I agree. That was also my point, them going to many different places to play puts them into a better to position to excel despite the conditions.

I really expected to see some of the Chinese and Taiwanese do better but I think it's due to the conditions and the jet lag that they didn't do better. I talked with Oscar Dominguez and he said all the guys he has played in China are invited to come to his house and play on his tables for as much as they carry. He just feels like the conditions in China vs. the USA are worth several games at the minimum.

He ought to know. FWIW though I also think that Filipinos also have a natural disposition to not caring too much about the conditions and adapting to them. Nothing wrong with the US Open conditions just saying that I think that they have the attitude that they can walk into any situation and PLAY.

Now having said that, when Luat was here a month or so ago he played a couple low stakes matches and one of them on Chinese conditions, super fast cloth with weird reactions off the rails he lost because he could not keep control of the cue ball. The next night he played on an old Gold Crown with slower cloth and he won.

But really, to end up with five of the top six spots!!!

Someone needs to get the American pros together and put them through constant match play like the Filipinos in Manila. I wish I had the money, I would back an American team and do just that. Not because I think that the Americans would dominate, those days are over now that the rest of the world has caught up, but because I think that Americans are simply too soft right now due to lack of constant competition for pecking order.
It is definitely tough to adjust when most of the tournaments in Asia are played on brand new table conditions on fast cloth with the magic rack. The "break box" concept I am sure is very foreign to the players from Taiwan/China and I feel like that is one reason why they didn't finish as high as we expected them to. With the magic rack being the rack of choice in Asia, the game has turned into people stringing multiple racks and that is the strength of those players.

However, with the players that are left in the tournament, I don't find it surprising that none of the Taiwanese and Chinese players finished higher. The field is pretty strong, and the strong Filipino players are playing extremely well.

With that said, I've always wished, and I am sure it is the same with everyone that the payout for pool tournaments were higher. If that is the case, we will actually see fields with the best players in the world in every major tournament.

Appreciate your input John.

Old
  (#10)
C.Milian
AzB Silver Member
C.Milian has a reputation beyond reputeC.Milian has a reputation beyond reputeC.Milian has a reputation beyond reputeC.Milian has a reputation beyond reputeC.Milian has a reputation beyond reputeC.Milian has a reputation beyond reputeC.Milian has a reputation beyond reputeC.Milian has a reputation beyond reputeC.Milian has a reputation beyond reputeC.Milian has a reputation beyond reputeC.Milian has a reputation beyond repute

10-27-2012, 04:12 AM

Shane is from Spain. Take it down champ!!!

RAND: I seek to provide men -- or those who care to think -- with an integrated, consistent and rational view of life.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: