CTE at long distances
Old
  (#1)
sacman
AzB Silver Member
sacman has a reputation beyond reputesacman has a reputation beyond reputesacman has a reputation beyond reputesacman has a reputation beyond reputesacman has a reputation beyond reputesacman has a reputation beyond reputesacman has a reputation beyond reputesacman has a reputation beyond reputesacman has a reputation beyond reputesacman has a reputation beyond reputesacman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

CTE at long distances - 04-11-2017, 08:42 AM

CTE users: I usually play on 9' tables and occasionally on a 10' table. For a shot that is, say 7 diamonds between CB and OB, how well does CTE work? I can barely see the center of the OB from that distance let alone try to align CTA and CTE.

Old
  (#2)
BC21
Poolology

BC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond repute

04-11-2017, 09:25 AM

I'm not a CTE user, but I think I can answer this. If not, I'm sure I'll get corrected. Apparently, when the CB is that far away from the OB, you have to make it work. Lol
Seriously though, I believe there's​ a slight change in the line to A. I sketched it out and it looks like you'd have to initially get the line from right of center CB (about a tip) to A on the OB. This line converges with the aim line (center cueball to center ghostball) about 5 inches behind the CB. So a manual pivot point (bridge hand) would have to be there. Or you can do that "sweep" thing and come right down into the aim line. Now let's hear it from the folks that have mastered CTE. I'd like to know if I'm close to getting it right, or if I should've stuck to reading instead of replying.

Old
  (#3)
lfigueroa
AzB Silver Member
lfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond repute

04-11-2017, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC21 View Post
I'm not a CTE user, but I think I can answer this. If not, I'm sure I'll get corrected. Apparently, when the CB is that far away from the OB, you have to make it work. Lol
Seriously though, I believe there's​ a slight change in the line to A. I sketched it out and it looks like you'd have to initially get the line from right of center CB (about a tip) to A on the OB. This line converges with the aim line (center cueball to center ghostball) about 5 inches behind the CB. So a manual pivot point (bridge hand) would have to be there. Or you can do that "sweep" thing and come right down into the aim line. Now let's hear it from the folks that have mastered CTE. I'd like to know if I'm close to getting it right, or if I should've stuck to reading instead of replying.

It doesn't work at long distances for the same reasons it doesn't work at short distances.

On every shot a player need to blend CB hit, speed, RPMs, and elevation. CTE, and it's variants, do not provide a solution for doing all that.

A player must become accustomed to setting up in a consistent, reliable manner, and using that platform to take all those variables into consideration and generate an accurate stroke that will deliver the CB to the desired position on the table. All the crazy DVDs, videos, and books in the world cannot provide enough mumbo gumbo to give you a path to performing well as would a consistent PSR, which makes aiming an afterthought.

Pool is science but it is also artistry.

Lou Figueroa

Old
  (#4)
cookie man
AzB Silver Member
cookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond repute

04-11-2017, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfigueroa View Post
It doesn't work at long distances for the same reasons it doesn't work at short distances.

On every shot a player need to blend CB hit, speed, RPMs, and elevation. CTE, and it's variants, do not provide a solution for doing all that.

A player must become accustomed to setting up in a consistent, reliable manner, and using that platform to take all those variables into consideration and generate an accurate stroke that will deliver the CB to the desired position on the table. All the crazy DVDs, videos, and books in the world cannot provide enough mumbo gumbo to give you a path to performing well as would a consistent PSR, which makes aiming an afterthought.

Pool is science but it is also artistry.

Lou Figueroa
CTE is all about making you set up in a consistent PSR. In fact it simplifies the aiming process and allows you to play your best pool.
Your assumptions of CTE are absurd.

Old
  (#5)
lfigueroa
AzB Silver Member
lfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond repute

04-11-2017, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie man View Post
CTE is all about making you set up in a consistent PSR. In fact it simplifies the aiming process and allows you to play your best pool.
Your assumptions of CTE are absurd.

I have had you on Ignore for probably close to, oh, three years. You know this.

But curiosity got the better of me and I looked at this post, and then your posting history. Just looking at the first page of your posting history -- about a third of your posts are shots at me, to which I have never responded.

Though something I rarely do, I must, regrettably, report this to the mods.

Lou Figueroa
you are back
on Ignore

Old
  (#6)
One Pocket John
AzB Silver Member
One Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond repute

04-11-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacman View Post
CTE users: I usually play on 9' tables and occasionally on a 10' table. For a shot that is, say 7 diamonds between CB and OB, how well does CTE work? I can barely see the center of the OB from that distance let alone try to align CTA and CTE.
DVD2 Chapter 15 will fix your issue.

I also was having the same issue until I revisited the chapter.

Hang in there.

John

One Pocket John
St. Louis, MO.

I don't play One Pocket as much as I use to, but when I do, I play at Cue & Cushion - Overland, MO.

In Memory of Dean Higgs and Harry Sims - gone but not forgotten and thank you.

Last edited by One Pocket John; 04-11-2017 at 06:50 PM.

Old
  (#7)
mohrt
Student of the Game
mohrt has a reputation beyond reputemohrt has a reputation beyond reputemohrt has a reputation beyond reputemohrt has a reputation beyond reputemohrt has a reputation beyond reputemohrt has a reputation beyond reputemohrt has a reputation beyond reputemohrt has a reputation beyond reputemohrt has a reputation beyond reputemohrt has a reputation beyond reputemohrt has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 400

04-11-2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacman View Post
Mechanically it still works the same. Obviously longer shots may be more difficult to align, regardless of your aiming system. But I stick with the system and do just fine. Lou isn't wrong about all the other nuances of pool, but we already know this. It's an aiming forum, not a "how to play pool" forum.

http://www.billiardsthegame.com/ Taking your game to the next level.

Old
  (#8)
sacman
AzB Silver Member
sacman has a reputation beyond reputesacman has a reputation beyond reputesacman has a reputation beyond reputesacman has a reputation beyond reputesacman has a reputation beyond reputesacman has a reputation beyond reputesacman has a reputation beyond reputesacman has a reputation beyond reputesacman has a reputation beyond reputesacman has a reputation beyond reputesacman has a reputation beyond repute

04-11-2017, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohrt View Post
Mechanically it still works the same. Obviously longer shots may be more difficult to align, regardless of your aiming system. But I stick with the system and do just fine. Lou isn't wrong about all the other nuances of pool, but we already know this. It's an aiming forum, not a "how to play pool" forum.
Thanks Mohrt.

Old
  (#9)
sacman
AzB Silver Member

04-11-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Pocket John View Post
DVD2 Chapter 15 will fix your issue.

I also was having the same issue until I revisited the chapter.

Hang in there.

John
Thanks,John.

Old
  (#10)
Mirza
AzB Silver Member
Mirza has a reputation beyond reputeMirza has a reputation beyond reputeMirza has a reputation beyond reputeMirza has a reputation beyond reputeMirza has a reputation beyond reputeMirza has a reputation beyond reputeMirza has a reputation beyond reputeMirza has a reputation beyond reputeMirza has a reputation beyond reputeMirza has a reputation beyond reputeMirza has a reputation beyond repute

04-11-2017, 11:43 PM

Here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KEravBX59Y

Old
  (#11)
cookie man
AzB Silver Member
cookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond repute

04-12-2017, 01:29 AM

Quote:

But curiosity got the better of me and I looked at this post, and then your posting history. Just looking at the first page of your posting history -- about a third of your posts are shots at me, to which I have never responded.

Lou Figueroa
you are back
on Ignore
Report away. I said nothing wrong. Just pointed out how how your opinion of CTE is wrong. If you ever truly learned CTE from an experienced instructor you would already know that though.

Old
  (#12)
sacman
AzB Silver Member

04-12-2017, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirza View Post
Thanks Mirza.

Old
  (#13)
Renegade_56
R56 Custom Cues
Renegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond repute

04-12-2017, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC21 View Post
Sketching it out will almost always look wrong because it really isn't a 2 dimensional system, yet aiming with CTE as Stan instructs almost always looks right. Listening to absurd comments from people who have never even used the system is pointless. If they actually worked at it a bit they would see how foolish they sound. If they don't need to work at it, then they are wasting alot of time trying to keep others from benefiting from it. Did I mention how foolish they sound?

Renegade_56

If winning is so easy why aren't the losers doing it?

R56 Custom Cues on Facebook

Old
  (#14)
SpiderWebComm
HelpImBeingOppressed
SpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1275

04-12-2017, 04:58 AM

Quote:

Lou Figueroa
you are back
on Ignore
The Ignore function for a specific user you claim never to see is a total load of crap. You know this.

You can see every post by a blocked name when you are LOGGED OUT. Ignore does not work unless you are LOGGED IN. If you were logged in at all times your name would show up as logged in with all the others who are on the forum throughout the day or night, but it's not. Which means you do LOG OUT when you aren't posting but read and lurk everything without logging in. Then all posts and users are visible.

It would be interesting to see your percentage of posts starting from RSB 20 years ago up to now on AZ blasting CTE, Hal, Stan, other members who use it with all of your misconceptions, lies, and venom.

Forget percentage, the total number of derogatory posts would be mind boggling.

I guess you won't see this post either because I'm also on Ignore. Yeah, RIGHT!
LMAO.

Viffer: The Movie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JFIy2ebJIE

Old
  (#15)
BC21
Poolology

BC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond repute

04-12-2017, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade_56 View Post
Sketching it out will almost always look wrong because it really isn't a 2 dimensional system, yet aiming with CTE as Stan instructs almost always looks right. Listening to absurd comments from people who have never even used the system is pointless. If they actually worked at it a bit they would see how foolish they sound. If they don't need to work at it, then they are wasting alot of time trying to keep others from benefiting from it. Did I mention how foolish they sound?
There are no mysterious visual effects​ occurring with CTE. Each eye captures​ 2-dimensional images, then the brain basically triangulates the two sets of data in order to develop an estimated depth perception. The CTE system is based on the convergence of lines, which can easily be shown on paper. Anything beyond the geography is purely subjective.

Back in the 1990's Hal Houle put CTE out in the open, but prior to that many players were already using a parallel shift or a pivot similar to Hal's CTE, like SAM or the "quarter system". Hal used 15-30-45 degree points on the OB, which is the A B and C in today's CTE. It involved lining up a line from the CB edge to one of these points, then PIVOTING to CB center, a method which can easily be illustrated/sketched. Stan has improved the method by incorporating it into your stance and shot approach, favoring a sweep instead of a pivot. Regardless, CTE is not a visual aiming phenomenon. Aiming is an art, and unless your method is instinct (rote), it can be shown on paper.

Arguing over the mechanics of CTE is similar to arguing over religious beliefs. Due to non-objective aspects, believers and non-believers rarely find common ground. But I say to each their own. If it works for you (religion or CTE) then go for it.

I was sincerely trying to offer a remedy for Sacman's question about longer shots. Using the original CTE system (before visual sweeps came into it), a player has to make it work. Because, from a distance, if you line CB edge to any point on the OB, A or B or C, then pivot to center CB, you'll be sending the CB on a path that doesn't contact the object ball. So there must be a trick to making it work, apparently on Stan's DVD2.

Page 1 of 13 1 2311 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: