Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Jackie Gleason's Pool Cue?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Jackie Gleason's Pool Cue?
Old
  (#1)
Chopdoc
AzB Silver Member
Chopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Jackie Gleason's Pool Cue? - 01-30-2020, 10:45 AM

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyl...h-court-battle

Quote:
Various personal items including Jack Benny's violin, Jackie Gleason's pool cue and Nat King Cole's watch, all dubbed "irreplaceable" by Newton, were discussed one-by-one in a local courtroom
I would like to see the transcript.

Anybody know about this?

Bury me with my JOSS....

"Chop Lock"
Member of the world famous Lock Society

Cases I made: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=258632

Old
  (#2)
mikemosconi
AzB Silver Member
mikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond repute

01-30-2020, 12:39 PM

I believe that was Jackie Gleason's personal cue they are referencing. I think somebody in CT had his cue from the Hustler movie. I think that his personal cue was a Rambow. Not positive!

Old
  (#3)
deanoc
AzB Silver Member
deanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

01-30-2020, 12:43 PM

Jackie Gleason gave Wayne Newton his Balabushka

at least this was the story widely held in Las Vegas pool circles some 20 years ago

Old
  (#4)
Fatboy
AzB Silver Member
Fatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2400

01-30-2020, 06:44 PM

I saw that cue at Wayne’s house. He lived a few houses down from me. It was a wedding gift.

OG member of the Lock Society members or OG-LS;

Just call me Fat-Lock

im getting old and sloppy....

Old
  (#5)
Fatboy
AzB Silver Member
Fatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond repute

01-30-2020, 07:58 PM

The cue at this house that was in the Red Room with all the other memorabilia was made by Hubler. It’s in a blind wood coffin case. And it says “The Great One” on it inlayed MOP.

Cue has never been chalked, Gleason never hit a ball with it. Was a wedding gift-Wayne’s wife made that clear when Wayne wanted to give it to me. Wayne knew of my cue collection and was gonna gift it to me at dinner one night at his house. She put a end to that.

Wayne gave me a silk tassel from saddam housains place in Iraq. He got that on the MSO tour he told me.

He had several other Gleason things. I remember a solid gold well worn lighter. Wow was that a amazing piece of history. It was endless what Wayne had there.

I’ve know him since 94 and can say without a doubt he among the nicest people I’ve ever met. Not everyone has that opinion. But I do!

No Bushka’s at Wayne’s house anywhere. Sadly.....

And now you know...

Fatboy

Just call me Fat-Lock

Old
  (#6)
alstl
AzB Silver Member
alstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond repute

01-30-2020, 08:19 PM

Sounds like Wayne should have taken his memorabilia out of the house before he sold it.

Old
  (#7)
Fatboy
AzB Silver Member

01-30-2020, 08:43 PM

His personal stuff-yes.

Just call me Fat-Lock

Old
  (#8)
Chopdoc
AzB Silver Member
Chopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond repute

01-30-2020, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemosconi View Post
I believe that was Jackie Gleason's personal cue they are referencing. I think somebody in CT had his cue from the Hustler movie. I think that his personal cue was a Rambow. Not positive!
Thanks so much.

Bury me with my JOSS....

"Chop Lock"

Old
  (#9)
Chopdoc
AzB Silver Member

01-30-2020, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanoc View Post
Jackie Gleason gave Wayne Newton his Balabushka

at least this was the story widely held in Las Vegas pool circles some 20 years ago
Thanks Dean.

Bury me with my JOSS....

"Chop Lock"

Old
  (#10)
Chopdoc
AzB Silver Member

01-30-2020, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy View Post
The cue at this house that was in the Red Room with all the other memorabilia was made by Hubler. It’s in a blind wood coffin case. And it says “The Great One” on it inlayed MOP.

Cue has never been chalked, Gleason never hit a ball with it. Was a wedding gift-Wayne’s wife made that clear when Wayne wanted to give it to me. Wayne knew of my cue collection and was gonna gift it to me at dinner one night at his house. She put a end to that.

Wayne gave me a silk tassel from saddam housains place in Iraq. He got that on the MSO tour he told me.

He had several other Gleason things. I remember a solid gold well worn lighter. Wow was that a amazing piece of history. It was endless what Wayne had there.

I’ve know him since 94 and can say without a doubt he among the nicest people I’ve ever met. Not everyone has that opinion. But I do!

No Bushka’s at Wayne’s house anywhere. Sadly.....

And now you know...

Fatboy
Well, if you saw it, I think that's likely the cue. Not a Bushka or Rambow, but still a Huebler would be of some note considering the names involved (Huebler, Gleason, and Newton). Notable enough to be mentioned in the legal dispute anyway.

But I have to wonder if you could know about every possession Wayne Newton had no matter how many times you had been to his house or how well you knew him. Personally, I have cues my closest friends don't know about...nor my wife...LOL!

It leaves at least maybe a little room for mystery.

It makes me wonder if any Huebler aficionados are specifically aware of this cue.

Bury me with my JOSS....

"Chop Lock"

Old
  (#11)
Fatboy
AzB Silver Member

01-31-2020, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopdoc View Post
Well, if you saw it, I think that's likely the cue. Not a Bushka or Rambow, but still a Huebler would be of some note considering the names involved (Huebler, Gleason, and Newton). Notable enough to be mentioned in the legal dispute anyway.

But I have to wonder if you could know about every possession Wayne Newton had no matter how many times you had been to his house or how well you knew him. Personally, I have cues my closest friends don't know about...nor my wife...LOL!

It leaves at least maybe a little room for mystery.

It makes me wonder if any Huebler aficionados are specifically aware of this cue.

I asked him**about other cues and there are none.

Just playing junk cues by his table. There is no room for anything sadly.

Best,
Fatboy

**Wayne (I’ve known Wayne forever as I mentioned, been to his house several times for dinners etc.) Only one notable cue-the Huebler. The other collectibles he had were beyond amazing. Elvis, Rat Pack, on and on and on. It’s really a shame how this all ended up.

Last edit: This is mostly speculative on my part, the rest of this post is factual. I don’t believe any Huebler guys know about this cue-aside from guys who worked for Paul years ago. It was a wedding gift from Gleason and it just sat in the Red Room the whole time among Elvis and Rat Pack stuff in its matching coffin style case. The bumper on the cue was a little dry(happens faster in Vegas) and the tip was unchalked. Shafts were brand new. I’m positive the cue was never screwed together. It’s doubtful that anyone saw it that was into pool or cues. When Wayne dug it out of the room and opened it he commented that he hadn’t looked at it in years.

Factual: He was interested in my cues, I mentioned Bushka’s-Wayne wasn’t aware what they are, he was amazed that cues could be so expensive.

I made the conscious decision to not mention it here(I was posting often back when I saw it). I mentioned it to a couple close friends and that’s it. I saw it in late 2010 or early 2011. When I was still full time living in Vegas.

Just call me Fat-Lock

Last edited by Fatboy; 01-31-2020 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Him**

Old
  (#12)
Fatboy
AzB Silver Member

01-31-2020, 12:43 PM

When I heard his possessions were going to be made public I was wondering about the cue. I decided not to say anything again. Unless it was mentioned here. Since it was I put 100% of it out there.

As far as value goes, wow that’s a tough one. If it wasn’t Wayne/Gleason cue it would be maybe a $2000 package. And that’s just a guess. I could be WAY off. Because his wife said it’s “a wedding gift” And Wayne said “oh yeah that right”. It would seem to have a additional value (to me for sure because I saw that conversation). But how to quantify that is difficult.

If it was a cue that Jackie Gleason played with - Too the moon!!! As far as value goes, if it was a Bushka. But it’s not. It’s a 80’s looking Huebler in a coffin case that was a gift.

If it was a Bushka I’d have figured out how to own that cue a long time ago. I didn’t go after it hard because it’s a Huebler gift-I might not have left his house if it was a well worn Bushka. lol that would be the crown Jewel of my collection. But it ain’t....and that cue(Gleason Bushka) wasn’t ever in Wayne’s house. As I said I asked. Believe me, I knew I was close to it and wasn’t going to get that close and not find out as much as possible. It’s not everyday your in Wayne’s house holding a cue, got Wayne locked in on cues and not ask everything possible. I did and it just ain’t there guys...sorry.

And again, now you know.

Fatboy

Just call me Fat-Lock

Old
  (#13)
ldmitchell
Registered
ldmitchell has a reputation beyond reputeldmitchell has a reputation beyond reputeldmitchell has a reputation beyond reputeldmitchell has a reputation beyond reputeldmitchell has a reputation beyond reputeldmitchell has a reputation beyond reputeldmitchell has a reputation beyond reputeldmitchell has a reputation beyond reputeldmitchell has a reputation beyond reputeldmitchell has a reputation beyond reputeldmitchell has a reputation beyond repute

01-31-2020, 01:30 PM

Pictures of the Huebler made as a gift for Jackie Gleason are on the Facebook Huebler Fan Page.
It has ebony shafts with ivory inlays.

Old
  (#14)
Fatboy
AzB Silver Member

01-31-2020, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldmitchell View Post
Pictures of the Huebler made as a gift for Jackie Gleason are on the Facebook Huebler Fan Page.
I don’t use FB

Just call me Fat-Lock

Old
  (#15)
Chopdoc
AzB Silver Member

02-04-2020, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldmitchell View Post
I don't use FB. Links to pics please?

Bury me with my JOSS....

"Chop Lock"

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: