Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page filipino pecking order
Page 3 of 4 123 4

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#31)
terryhanna
AzB Silver Member
terryhanna has a reputation beyond reputeterryhanna has a reputation beyond reputeterryhanna has a reputation beyond reputeterryhanna has a reputation beyond reputeterryhanna has a reputation beyond reputeterryhanna has a reputation beyond reputeterryhanna has a reputation beyond reputeterryhanna has a reputation beyond reputeterryhanna has a reputation beyond reputeterryhanna has a reputation beyond reputeterryhanna has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

04-01-2020, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbb View Post
Alex should be on all lists even tho he lives in Canada
Alex lives in the Philippines with his wife and kids and has for sometime now.

He was born there too

I would say it's ok to add him to the list

Old
  (#32)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

04-01-2020, 10:10 PM

In the Philippines they use a Tier system to rank their players. The elite players are Tier One (the champions). The next level is Tier Two (all very good players as well). Then there are the Tier Three players who all can play as well but might need weight from the upper level players. Over there giving weight is usually games on the wire. For example a Tier One player might have to give a Tier Two player three games on the wire racing to 25 in Ten Ball.

Here is good idea of what Tier One looks like now - Dennis, Carlo, LeeVan, Chua, Aranas, DeLuna, Gomez and Raga. Bustie is Tier Two and so is Efren. Others in Tier Two are Kiamco, Edgie, Alcano, Ignazio, Joven Bustamante, Lining, Gabica and Gallego. There's a few others who I've left out. Alex is usually not in the mix because he's spent most of his life overseas. He would definitely be Tier One though. Tier Three is full of killers who have yet to make a name for themselves outside of the Philippines, but they are there waiting for you.

http://www.jayhelfert.com/ to order More Pool Wars

Old
  (#33)
evergruven
AzB Silver Member

evergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond repute

04-01-2020, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbb View Post
your intentions are honorable
but your questions are sometimes too esoteric/rhetorical
like who cares what list anyone puts up??
what does it mean and what did it accomplish??
nothing
its like what tip should i use on my schmelke cue
give me a break.....
jmho
icbw
for the record i think you are a good guy....
hey larry, the esotericism continues
the post you replied to was intended for black-balled
anyway

I indeed could've asked the question straight up with no list
in fact, I'm not a list guy
but there are so many good filipino players
I thought why not try it, try (for me) a different way
and I'm happy I did, tho I'm less than pleased it at the same time antagonized
everybody is of course entitled to their opinion
and I respect that
but there are many ways to learn
if nobody's getting hurt
let us play

sorry for the confusion
for the record, I appreciate you too pal
thanks for keeping it real

A billiard table is that richest of metaphors,
by turns a theatre, an altar, touchstone, gauntlet,
ritual ground, a gunfighter's high noon, a refuge,
a verdant landscape for balls to scatter and rest in meaningful synchronicity,
a classroom, a karma dance, mirror of moods, a guide and trusted friend...

-- from grissim's "billiards"

Old
  (#34)
evergruven
AzB Silver Member

evergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond repute

04-01-2020, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay helfert View Post
In the Philippines they use a Tier system to rank their players. The elite players are Tier One (the champions). The next level is Tier Two (all very good players as well). Then there are the Tier Three players who all can play as well but might need weight from the upper level players. Over there giving weight is usually games on the wire. For example a Tier One player might have to give a Tier Two player three games on the wire racing to 25 in Ten Ball.

Here is good idea of what Tier One looks like now - Dennis, Carlo, LeeVan, Chua, Aranas, DeLuna, Gomez and Raga. Bustie is Tier Two and so is Efren. Others in Tier Two are Kiamco, Edgie, Alcano, Ignazio, Joven Bustamante, Lining, Gabica and Gallego. There's a few others who I've left out. Alex is usually not in the mix because he's spent most of his life overseas. He would definitely be Tier One though. Tier Three is full of killers who have yet to make a name for themselves outside of the Philippines, but they are there waiting for you.
hey jay
interesting stuff..thanks for the 'hip!
helps explain why efren's all over youtube these days getting spots (and winning some..)

A billiard table is that richest of metaphors,
by turns a theatre, an altar, touchstone, gauntlet,
ritual ground, a gunfighter's high noon, a refuge,
a verdant landscape for balls to scatter and rest in meaningful synchronicity,
a classroom, a karma dance, mirror of moods, a guide and trusted friend...

-- from grissim's "billiards"

Old
  (#35)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

04-01-2020, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evergruven View Post
hey jay
interesting stuff..thanks for the 'hip!
helps explain why efren's all over youtube these days getting spots (and winning some..)
His 9-Ball game just isn't what it used to be. He's 65 you know. No one's giving him any weight in One Pocket though, although that game is rarely played in the Philippines. Almost all Ten Ball and some Rotation these days among the top players. Once in a while they match up at Eight Ball too. The Tier Three guys still match up at 9-Ball. It's a little easier than Ten Ball.

Old
  (#36)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

JoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4400

04-01-2020, 10:59 PM

Quote:

Efren is below segunda now ( 2nd tier ).
He is around the tersera ( third tier now ).
Even Takayama gives him weight.
Takayama is a third tier player.
Alcano is way below 2nd tier now.
Roland Garcia plays Raga even, so he's probably tier one too.

Old
  (#37)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people

04-02-2020, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyInCali View Post
You're right about all the above I'm sure. I forgot about how good Garcia is playing now. He paid his dues for a long time.

Old
  (#38)
#Cruncher
AzB Silver Member
#Cruncher has a reputation beyond repute#Cruncher has a reputation beyond repute#Cruncher has a reputation beyond repute#Cruncher has a reputation beyond repute#Cruncher has a reputation beyond repute#Cruncher has a reputation beyond repute#Cruncher has a reputation beyond repute#Cruncher has a reputation beyond repute#Cruncher has a reputation beyond repute#Cruncher has a reputation beyond repute#Cruncher has a reputation beyond repute

04-02-2020, 06:33 AM

I would like to see Roberto Gomez and Efren in a one pocket match. Roberto's game is on the rise but would Efren still have enough Magic up his sleeves to compete?

Old
  (#39)
ChrisinNC
AzB Silver Member
ChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond repute

04-02-2020, 06:55 AM

Jay, you’ve provided an awesome summary of the tier 1 and tier 2 Pinoy players, as you would know better than anyone else on this forum.

Old
  (#40)
fastone371
AzB Silver Member
fastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

04-02-2020, 08:25 AM

For those in the know is pool on average more popular in the Philippines than in the US???

Old
  (#41)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people

04-02-2020, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastone371 View Post
For those in the know is pool on average more popular in the Philippines than in the US???
Let me put it this way. Where our home is in Pampanga, about 50 miles outside of Manila, you will see men walking around with pool cues quite frequently. The biggest difference may be that Pool is fully accepted as a career choice in the Philippines, thanks to the influence of Efren and Bustamante. Efren is a national sports icon over there. There is no negative stigma attached to playing pool in the PI.

That said a lot of the little neighborhood poolrooms have closed during the last ten years. But that may be more a factor of increasing rents and better use of the space than anything else. One other thing that may surprise you if you come to the PI is that you won't find any bar tables. It's ALL big tables over here! Even in the bars and bowling alleys.

Old
  (#42)
fastone371
AzB Silver Member
fastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

04-02-2020, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Let me put it this way. Where our home is in Pampanga, about 50 miles outside of Manila, you will see men walking around with pool cues quite frequently. The biggest difference may be that Pool is fully accepted as a career choice in the Philippines, thanks to the influence of Efren and Bustamante. Efren is a national sports icon over there. There is no negative stigma attached to playing pool in the PI.

That said a lot of the little neighborhood poolrooms have closed during the last ten years. But that may be more a factor of increasing rents and better use of the space than anything else. One other thing that may surprise you if you come to the PI is that you won't find any bar tables. It's ALL big tables over here! Even in the bars and bowling alleys.
Interesting. I have noticed when watching videos from PI that there are gobs of spectators but that may also be because Efren was there but I think I saw some more local players who also drew a big crowd.

How common are home tables?

Old
  (#43)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

JoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4400

04-02-2020, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastone371 View Post
Interesting. I have noticed when watching videos from PI that there are gobs of spectators but that may also be because Efren was there but I think I saw some more local players who also drew a big crowd.

How common are home tables?
8 foot home tables are common.
Local pros matching up draw big crowds.
They ( the rail birds ) bet per game.
I saw a match between Aranas and Pulpol back in 2018 at the current president's home city. It was like a cockfight .
Pro players are idolized there.

Old
  (#44)
skogstokig
AzB Silver Member
skogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond repute

04-02-2020, 01:31 PM

Quote:

aren't bar tables rarely seen anywhere outside USA (if you don't count english 8-ball)? go anywhere in continental europe and you're more likely to see 10' billiards tables or 12' snooker tables in the pool rooms than you are 7 footers.

Old
  (#45)
jsp
AzB Silver Member
jsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2600

04-02-2020, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyInCali View Post
Where does Romeo Silvano fit in? Just browsing around youtube and there are videos of him playing and beating both Raga and Chua even.

Page 3 of 4 123 4

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: