Do we still need different cue balls on tv?

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So with high def cameras and such. Do we still need different colored balls just for tv etc? Could you just use regular colored balls and be able to see them fine? I am assuming if this is the case we just use them because it is the way it has been done.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
What's wrong with everyone's tvs? Mine shows the regular colors just fine...never understood why the push for "tv balls". The measle ball was developed so people could see the spin put on different shots, which is fine by me.

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
What's wrong with everyone's tvs? Mine shows the regular colors just fine...never understood why the push for "tv balls".

It wasn't always like that. Still to this day, unless it's something along the lines of a major tournament where they can use lights bright enough to be seen from space, it can be hard to gauge which dark ball is which.

I don't know why people (not you in particular) get so very upset at the TV colors which have been around for the last 30+ years. Is that unnerving to have a pink colored ball? Are people really that insecure?

I don't like the Cyclops TV colors but if I attend tournaments that use them I might as well be used to them. The "Black" set is the only one I am avoiding solely because of the purple 5. Eventually I might cave but that day is far from now as I won't be playing in the Mosconi Cup.

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seriously I could care less. If every ball was pink and said you are a girl when I hit the ball into the pocket I would not care. It would still be pool. I was asking on the technical side of things.Just doing what I always do trying to find out everything I can about whatever I am interested in. This means asking 50,000 questions. Some of them similar or the same but asked in different ways. In a few months I should have more knowledge than a majority of players.

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What's wrong with everyone's tvs? Mine shows the regular colors just fine...never understood why the push for "tv balls". The measle ball was developed so people could see the spin put on different shots, which is fine by me.

I have to agree with you, my TV showed the old colors just fine.
As for the colors on those CYCLOPS things...grrr. The 1st tournament I played in I'm glad I showed up early to hit some balls. I had to look at the 6 and 7 to be sure which one I was shooting next. I'm pretty sure they were given to the BCAPL because of sponsorship, nothing else.
When you play pool for 5 to 8 hours per day and get used to certain colors, it will throw you off temporarily when they switch up the colors. I feel it is just marketing, how else can you keep inventing new sets of balls? JMHO

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...snip... In a few months I should have more knowledge than a majority of players.

In the pool world, all that matters is if you can make the shot. It doesn't matter if you know everything about the history of the game. Making the shot is the equalizer. Its a great thing. The players in the pool hall are extremely diverse. From street bums to rocket scientist's and everything in between. Everyone generally gets along because everyone is on equal footing at the table, and all that matters is making the ball.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I agree.

I've always been able to tell which ball is which on TV with the regular colors.

And, FWIW, I HATE that measle ball.

fiftyyardline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO the worst problem when watching on TV and not in person is the pink 4 ball. I have 4K Hi - Def large TV’s and good eyesight, yet most of the time I cannot tell the 4 ball and the 5 ball apart. Most of us like to play the “how would I run these balls” game, but that’s pretty hard to do without the ability to differentiate the 4 and 5. Yes, the purple 4 ball is dark, but most of the time I’m still able to distinguish which ball it is among the purple 4, blue2, and black 8.

9ball5032

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, we don't need TV color balls, but considering companies will never run out of new stuff to market, I don't see them going away.

I like traditional colors, but after playing with the Cyclop TV set (Zeus) at my poolhall, I broke down and got myself a set.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So with high def cameras and such. Do we still need different colored balls just for tv etc? Could you just use regular colored balls and be able to see them fine? I am assuming if this is the case we just use them because it is the way it has been done.
You need a new, compatible tele-vision set

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh good it’s another thread with old people who hate change complaining...just what we need.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Seriously I could care less. If every ball was pink and said you are a girl when I hit the ball into the pocket I would not care. It would still be pool. I was asking on the technical side of things.Just doing what I always do trying to find out everything I can about whatever I am interested in. This means asking 50,000 questions. Some of them similar or the same but asked in different ways. In a few months I should have more knowledge than a majority of players.
The expression is "I couldn't care less". You use it incorrectly because you hear it used incorrectly by the same crowd you are using to build your giant and superior knowledge collection. You started a thread about a topic that you insist you do not care about. Make up your mind.

Sent from the future.