Tighten up my pockets; extend the sub rails, or thicker facing?

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope to be purchasing another table for a house I'm closing on very soon. In the past I spent a great deal of money to have my sub rails extended 1/4" on each end to close my pockets up 1/2" but this involved having to replace rubber that was practically new as it was. I don't know if I want to go to that same process again and if I did I'd like to do it myself however I don't have the tools that I used to at least not now. In your opinion, how does using thicker facings compared to extending the subrails to tighten up a pocket about a half of an inch compare?

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope to be purchasing another table for a house I'm closing on very soon. In the past I spent a great deal of money to have my sub rails extended 1/4" on each end to close my pockets up 1/2" but this involved having to replace rubber that was practically new as it was. I don't know if I want to go to that same process again and if I did I'd like to do it myself however I don't have the tools that I used to at least not now. In your opinion, how does using thicker facings compared to extending the subrails to tighten up a pocket about a half of an inch compare?

Stacking facings will make the pockets play dead, especially adding 1/4" (each side) to what's already there. There's only one way to do it. If you take the short cut, you won't be happy.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stacking facings will make the pockets play dead, especially adding 1/4" (each side) to what's already there. There's only one way to do it. If you take the short cut, you won't be happy.

Totally agree! You don't want to go the cheap route in regards to tightening the pockets. When the subrail is properly extended you have the option to get the facing angles correct as well. Not only does extra thick facing material cause dead play around the pockets, but more than a 1/4" and you will be out of specs.

https://wpapool.com/equipment-specifications/

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Totally agree! You don't want to go the cheap route in regards to tightening the pockets. When the subrail is properly extended you have the option to get the facing angles correct as well. Not only does extra thick facing material cause dead play around the pockets, but more than a 1/4" and you will be out of specs.

https://wpapool.com/equipment-specifications/

Although I agree with both of you, I just can't see myself going the extended subrail route again. As stated at one time after paying someone to do my Olhausen I thought to myself I am handy and a bit of an amateur woodworker, once I get the proper tools I can do it myself if needed. Well I got, and since had to get rid of those tools when my wife and I relocated across the country. So paying that hefty price again to have a mechanic do it for me is not really in the cards.

According to Classic Billiards THESE are a great alternative. Are they the same as extending the subrails? Hell no. Is it much easier and cheaper? I would say hell yes.

I guess is all depends on how picky we want to be, it's a trade off I guess.

Last edited: