Reload this Page Does a Short Ferrule really make a differnce
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Does a Short Ferrule really make a differnce
Old
  (#1)
PoolFan101
AzB Silver Member
PoolFan101 has a reputation beyond reputePoolFan101 has a reputation beyond reputePoolFan101 has a reputation beyond reputePoolFan101 has a reputation beyond reputePoolFan101 has a reputation beyond reputePoolFan101 has a reputation beyond reputePoolFan101 has a reputation beyond reputePoolFan101 has a reputation beyond reputePoolFan101 has a reputation beyond reputePoolFan101 has a reputation beyond reputePoolFan101 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Does a Short Ferrule really make a differnce - 05-02-2020, 10:00 AM

Hello ,

I see these low deflection shafts that have a short ferrule on it. I personally like the look of a long ferrule. Like Meucci shafts , but does the short ferrule really make that much difference. Does it help the shaft be more low deflection. A Cue maker told me he only uses short ferrules. Why ?

Old
  (#2)
HawaiianEye
AzB Silver Member
HawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond repute

05-02-2020, 10:55 AM

The heavier the weight at the end of the cue, the more deflection you get. Most ferrules are made of something heavier than the wood that was taken off the cue in order to install the ferrule.

Shorter = lighter
Lighter = less deflection

The Hustler

Such a man spends all his life playing every day for small stakes. Give him every morning the money that he may gain during the day, on condition that he does not play-you will make him unhappy. It will perhaps be said what he seeks is the amusement of play, not gain. Let him play then for nothing, he will lose interest and be wearied. ***Blaise Pascal***

Old
  (#3)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

JoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4400

05-02-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolFan101 View Post
Hello ,

I see these low deflection shafts that have a short ferrule on it. I personally like the look of a long ferrule. Like Meucci shafts , but does the short ferrule really make that much difference. Does it help the shaft be more low deflection. A Cue maker told me he only uses short ferrules. Why ?
Check with your doctor.
There is something seriously wrong with you.

Many moons ago, Mike Massey did an exhibition at my local hall.
He had a 1/4 long ferrule. It looked so odd to me.
He explained he liked it better and had less squirt.
He also had a conical shaft. He needed that stiffness in the middle for his insane stroke shots.

Old
  (#4)
middleofnowhere
Registered
middleofnowhere has a reputation beyond reputemiddleofnowhere has a reputation beyond reputemiddleofnowhere has a reputation beyond reputemiddleofnowhere has a reputation beyond reputemiddleofnowhere has a reputation beyond reputemiddleofnowhere has a reputation beyond reputemiddleofnowhere has a reputation beyond reputemiddleofnowhere has a reputation beyond reputemiddleofnowhere has a reputation beyond reputemiddleofnowhere has a reputation beyond reputemiddleofnowhere has a reputation beyond repute

05-02-2020, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Hello ,

The Meucci ferrule you like is an illusion. It is very thin and drilled all the way through, it's really lite. The tip is glued on the end grain of the shaft. It is in fact almost like no ferrule at all.

Old
  (#5)
TATE
AzB Gold Mensch
TATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

05-02-2020, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Hello ,

Once you get used to the short ferrule, if you go back to the long one it looks really odd. It's like, "What's that Hostess Twinkie doing on my shaft?".

What were we thinking? But if you ever get the yearning for a screw-off ferrule, please seek help.

Visit my historic cues site:
www.palmercollector.com

Old
  (#6)
PoolFan101
AzB Silver Member
PoolFan101 has a reputation beyond reputePoolFan101 has a reputation beyond reputePoolFan101 has a reputation beyond reputePoolFan101 has a reputation beyond reputePoolFan101 has a reputation beyond reputePoolFan101 has a reputation beyond reputePoolFan101 has a reputation beyond reputePoolFan101 has a reputation beyond reputePoolFan101 has a reputation beyond reputePoolFan101 has a reputation beyond reputePoolFan101 has a reputation beyond repute

05-02-2020, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATE View Post
Once you get used to the short ferrule, if you go back to the long one it looks really odd. It's like, "What's that Hostess Twinkie doing on my shaft?".

What were we thinking? But if you ever get the yearning for a screw-off ferrule, please seek help.
I heard that Tate. I did not know Meucci's was drilled all the way thru. I just think they look neater . But never had a short ferrule until I got my Dale Perry cue. He told me that is all he uses. I guess I am just used to the Meucci ferrules from seeing them for so long. I live in Meucci country. That was the popular cue here when I was growing up and playing in Pool halls .

Old
  (#7)
TATE
AzB Gold Mensch
TATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

05-02-2020, 12:54 PM

Quote:
I heard that Tate. I did not know Meucci's was drilled all the way thru. I just think they look neater . But never had a short ferrule until I got my Dale Perry cue. He told me that is all he uses. I guess I am just used to the Meucci ferrules from seeing them for so long. I live in Meucci country. That was the popular cue here when I was growing up and playing in Pool halls .
Yeah, there has been a trend toward short ferrules. It was originally a weight thing but now I would say appearances too. The long ferrule belongs with those old wide neckties, LOL
Attached Images

Visit my historic cues site:
www.palmercollector.com

Last edited by TATE; 05-02-2020 at 12:57 PM.

Old
  (#8)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

05-02-2020, 01:16 PM

Best i ever played was with my Richard Black with those "oh so heavy" ivory ferrules. Back then we didn't know or care. I thought ivory looked cool, played fine and were REAL easy to keep clean.

Old
  (#9)
HawaiianEye
AzB Silver Member
HawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond repute

05-02-2020, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garczar View Post
Best i ever played was with my Richard Black with those "oh so heavy" ivory ferrules. Back then we didn't know or care. I thought ivory looked cool, played fine and were REAL easy to keep clean.
Same here.

The best I ever played was with my Richard Black that he made for me in 1978. Of course, I was a couple years younger then.

Ebony 4-pointer with four veneers. Looked just like a Balabushka and was built with the same tapers. I had him make it at 21 ounces, with two 14mm shafts with 1" ivory ferrules.

The Hustler

Such a man spends all his life playing every day for small stakes. Give him every morning the money that he may gain during the day, on condition that he does not play-you will make him unhappy. It will perhaps be said what he seeks is the amusement of play, not gain. Let him play then for nothing, he will lose interest and be wearied. ***Blaise Pascal***

Old
  (#10)
maha
from way back when
maha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond repute

05-02-2020, 01:52 PM

tell all about short ferrels to the multitude of guys running hundreds of balls years back that knew nothing about this thing called squirt that makes you miss because your tip is too heavy.
they just knew that you aimed appropriately for the english you used. .

Old
  (#11)
JC
The Thread Stops Here
JC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond repute

05-02-2020, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middleofnowhere View Post
The Meucci ferrule you like is an illusion. It is very thin and drilled all the way through, it's really lite. The tip is glued on the end grain of the shaft. It is in fact almost like no ferrule at all.
A month or so after you buy it when it cracks and falls off it is in fact like no ferule at all.

Old
  (#12)
Lawnboy77
AzB Silver Member
Lawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond repute

05-02-2020, 01:59 PM

I never played with a short ferrule either. All I know about ferrules is I sure love this one. A great feel and stays super clean. I suppose itís ivory, but not sure. I won this one on a Deano raffle a couple years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old
  (#13)
evergruven
AzB Silver Member

evergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond repute

05-02-2020, 03:45 PM

I went from using one inch (white) to 3/8 (black) with little adjustment required
the new ferrule wasn't a request, it was just what the cue came with
not sure the cue's performance is much better or worse as a result
but now that I'm ok with it, I'll probably stick with a short ferrule from here on out
for reasons described above, and why not..the color tho, I'm not sure about
but I can attest that a black ferrule is easier to keep clean ^_^

A billiard table is that richest of metaphors,
by turns a theatre, an altar, touchstone, gauntlet,
ritual ground, a gunfighter's high noon, a refuge,
a verdant landscape for balls to scatter and rest in meaningful synchronicity,
a classroom, a karma dance, mirror of moods, a guide and trusted friend...

-- from grissim's "billiards"

Old
  (#14)
CESSNA10
AzB Gold Member
CESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond repute

05-02-2020, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Just try the MEUCCI PRO SHAFT, you won't be disappointed

Old
  (#15)
lfigueroa
AzB Silver Member
lfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond repute

05-02-2020, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Hello ,

I think it's all what you get used to, and.. talk yourself into.

Lou Figueroa

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: