Russian Ken

The Saw

Juicy Pop in 2016!
Silver Member
Just posting the obvious but not posting is gambling too....... It's the definition of risk/reward.

Its not gambling

Its not gambling when one party, Kenny, is willing to resort to physically threatening a child in order to get out of a bet. Thats what happened here.

This is criminal activity at a pretty high level. Certainly endangering the welfare of a minor. This POS thinks its all cool. Well I am not afraid to say it is not acceptable. To pull these moves on anybody , particularly a minor is as low as you can go.

Treyf123

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like that. You could always become a rapper if pool doesn't work out haha.
I think he's gonna have a hard time getting backers next year.

Hey I think I know who you mean... Jackie R.? Plays in the APT events?
She can definitely shoot. Was shooting in Springfield one day and I glance over and
it looks like there's a 14 year old girl playing one pocket. I thought I was hallucinating.
I accused my opponent of putting something in my coke.

I'm sure BB's wife will get used to the new arrangement.

Many 16 year olds would have to work for a solid week to earn the amount he was betting per rack.
And most of them haven't had to deal with mortgages and utility bills, nevermind supporting a family.
Few people that age understand the value of what they're betting.

You could argue "yeah but they're living with the parents and don't have to pay those bills,
so if they lose it's not the end of the world."

...the thing is, those teenage years are pretty critical. That's when people develop a lot of their identity,
their self-image. If you make a habit of gambling your whole paycheck at 16, and you start to think of
yourself as a high-betting pool player who isn't scared of tough action, that might completely
alter the kind of path you take in life and your attitude towards saving money and taking risks.

If I had a 16 year old son betting hundreds per rack, I'd push pretty hard to discourage it.
I think that kid would be in for a tough life (or at least a tough decade) if I didn't nip it in the bud.

While I see where you are coming from in your post I disagree about Zack. Zack and I run around all over and gamble everywhere we go and have been since I was bout 17. Im now 19 and just because we gambled doesn't mean that's all we do.

I work 6 days a week now and there is no doubt in my mind that when Zack graduates from highschool he will either attend college or go right in the working world. We have talked plenty of times on the ride to and from these tournaments that we travel from on just that. Theres not a doubt in my mind that Zack will do whats best for him in the long run.

So I guess to summarize my post: Yes while the teenage years are crucial if you travel down a road that has good and bad signs (Which just about every teen travels down) its all in your decision upon who is with you. If you keep good people around you and keep the bad ones away you will stay on the right path

vaplaya

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I could be wrong, but I don't remember Zack being threatened. But I was only there for a few days.

Charlie Hustle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like that. You could always become a rapper if pool doesn't work out haha.
I think he's gonna have a hard time getting backers next year.

Hey I think I know who you mean... Jackie R.? Plays in the APT events?
She can definitely shoot. Was shooting in Springfield one day and I glance over and
it looks like there's a 14 year old girl playing one pocket. I thought I was hallucinating.
I accused my opponent of putting something in my coke.

I'm sure BB's wife will get used to the new arrangement.

Many 16 year olds would have to work for a solid week to earn the amount he was betting per rack.
And most of them haven't had to deal with mortgages and utility bills, nevermind supporting a family.
Few people that age understand the value of what they're betting.

You could argue "yeah but they're living with the parents and don't have to pay those bills,
so if they lose it's not the end of the world."

...the thing is, those teenage years are pretty critical. That's when people develop a lot of their identity,
their self-image. If you make a habit of gambling your whole paycheck at 16, and you start to think of
yourself as a high-betting pool player who isn't scared of tough action, that might completely
alter the kind of path you take in life and your attitude towards saving money and taking risks.

If I had a 16 year old son betting hundreds per rack, I'd push pretty hard to discourage it.
I think that kid would be in for a tough life (or at least a tough decade) if I didn't nip it in the bud.

I completely agree with this.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Probably not a dump. He is just that bad at his own game! Last few events hes lost many thousands of dollars.

Nobody should ever give this POS dump artist any action. When things get ugly he will plain rob you.

This SBE he should get nothing. Good luck pool player.

I'll bet he won't rob me unless he has a gun and then he had better be ready to use it.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kids learn how to gamble at a very early age. Think of the arcades with the tickets that are won based on your score. Those tickets are used to purchased overpriced prizes. So 100 tickets might cost a kid a fortune in order to get a 20 dollar radio or something. I brought this up one time to some people and they said "it's not really gambling." Wtf is it then? What do you call all those "crane" machines where kids put in 10 dollars trying to snatch a 3 dollar stuffed animal? Of course now these games are a lot more sophisticated. I believe they have upped the ante putting in big prizes like play station games, mp3 players, and other electronics. Hard telling how much they blow in those machines chasing the good stuff.

So, if a 16 year old wants to wager some money on his pool game, a game of skill, then I do not see a damn thing wrong with it.

Agree 100%.

Simple as that.

Ken

rezin8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see a lot of crap about a teenager gambling. I grew up with a pool table in my den and a brother 6 years older than me. When I was 10-11, and my brothers friends were coming around the house to play pool, I was already taking their money before I had hair on my balls. I started going to a local game room that had 16 bar boxes in it when I was 13 or 14. By the time I got my license at 15, I was already 6'1" and looked a bit older than I actually was, so I started going to the pool hall (In my case it was High Tide Bar and Billiards in Houma, LA). I didn't drink and stayed away from the bar, so the owner really didn't mind me going in. Plus, you could get away with stuff like that in south Louisiana 20+ years ago.

My point is, kids gamble. At the Derby, I was staking a 13 year old kid in some $100 sets. It was the first time he had ever been in action. The kid's dad and older brother are both accomplished pool players, so it was just a matter of time before he actually played a game for money.

I don't think that a 16 year old kid getting into some action warrants this much drama about it. If the kid got stiffed, then that sucks, but he also learned a lesson. I'd like to know how many times my brother's friends tried to stiff me (he never allowed it), or how many times the guys at High Tide stiffed me because I was just some 15-16 year old kid. I've never been stiffed since, I can tell you that much.

You are missing the point

So if an adult dropped by your house to play you for cash when you are a kid, maybe thats cool, maybe. To me only if the parents condone it.

Then when your adult opponent realizes he cant win he just changes the length of the set and uses his physicality to intimidate you. When all that fails he just plain air barrels?

Would you be cool with an adult doing this to your son? I would dare say you wouldnt. If I cant convince you, there is nothing more I have to say. If this boy was my blood, this would be far from over.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
So if an adult dropped by your house to play you for cash when you are a kid, maybe thats cool, maybe. To me only if the parents condone it.

Then when your adult opponent realizes he cant win he just changes the length of the set and uses his physicality to intimidate you. When all that fails he just plain air barrels?

Would you be cool with an adult doing this to your son? I would dare say you wouldnt. If I cant convince you, there is nothing more I have to say. If this boy was my blood, this would be far from over.

If this were my son, he wouldn't be in action betting large in the first place.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was playing poker for nickels, dimes and quarters at 13. Pitching coins against the wall for dollars at 14 and putting for ten and twenty dollars a hole at 16. So I hit the ground running when I started playing pool at 18.

Yes I got stiffed and I got threatened. But I learned and I grew up. The best education I ever got (and I have three years of college) was in the pool room. I can't tell you how many times someone has tried to run a con on me in the "straight" world, usually promising an unGodly return on my investment. Thanks to my pool room education I can always spot a con and smell a rat long before they finish talking. I just tell them thanks, I'll think about it.

One guy did get me for 4K on a stock deal. The stock ended up being worthless. I went to his home in Las Vegas and got my money back, after a small confrontation. He had promised to make me whole and I held him to it.

Another time I made 15K on a real estate investment (a limited partnership). The agent who put the deal together wanted everyone to leave their money in, so he could reinvest it in a new project. I wanted out but he kept putting off sending me the money. I camped out in his office one day and finally busted into his office. He was surprised and feigned anger, but eventually promised to cut me a check the next day. I wouldn't leave until I had the check in my hand. It took some doing, but I got my money!

Mike B.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thousands

Every one that mentions gambling as a teenager is talking about 10s and 20s. That is a lot different than THOUSANDS.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If this were my son, he wouldn't be in action betting large in the first place.

I agree. My son plays at a low B level at 14, he's around players in Snooker in RI that gamble all the time, there is no way I'm going to let him setup matches for money till he's old enough to vote, or at least old enough that he's driving himself around and I can't watch him.

No offense to the gamblers on here, but I don't want him turning into a low life mooch which seems to be the ending path of way too many gamblers.

He likes playing the game for the game, to get better at it. Even if he wants a career in pool (whatever that may be), I'm going to try to steer him towards at least honest matches in tournaments and TAR like events. Not having some dope fiend bother him to play against some clueless guy with money to rob him.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While I see where you are coming from in your post I disagree about Zack. Zack and I run around all over and gamble everywhere we go and have been since I was bout 17. Im now 19 and just because we gambled doesn't mean that's all we do.

I work 6 days a week now and there is no doubt in my mind that when Zack graduates from highschool he will either attend college or go right in the working world. We have talked plenty of times on the ride to and from these tournaments that we travel from on just that. Theres not a doubt in my mind that Zack will do whats best for him in the long run.

So I guess to summarize my post: Yes while the teenage years are crucial if you travel down a road that has good and bad signs (Which just about every teen travels down) its all in your decision upon who is with you. If you keep good people around you and keep the bad ones away you will stay on the right path
Don't forget the part a out how it is far better to have a job where you make 40k/ yr that it is to have no job and go through 40k/yr.

Banks

Banned
I was doing things at 16 that I wouldn't even consider today. Yep.. lots of things.

As long as he's got his head on straight, has a truly supportive group around him(family/friends) and understands what the future looks like if he doesn't handle it properly, then all is well. If he's getting a grand here and there, he should look at long-term investing or saving up for a house, etc.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member

You sound older than 19, sounds like you got your priorities straight too,
doubt either one of you will turn out like this dumbass Kenny.
Good luck to both of you.

dundeewizard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So ....is anoyone going to do anything about this gy??everyone seems to know him and where he is, why has nobody beat the shit out of him made it perfectly clear that this will no longer be tolerated?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So ....is anoyone going to do anything about this gy??everyone seems to know him and where he is, why has nobody beat the shit out of him made it perfectly clear that this will no longer be tolerated?

No one is going to do a thing... Because this IS tolerated every day. Every pool room in the country has one or more Kenny's. When was the last time you saw someone get beat up over not paying? This isn't the 1930's mobster era we live in today.