For custom cue owners.

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
A quick side note, Jams. Have you played with the Hybrid Pro II? I'm considering that one, but my aim is to get the shaft with the least deflection. Any thoughts? :)

The Mezz shaft with the least deflection is the WX900. I personally prefer
others over it but if deflection is all that matters WX900 it is.

Out of all the shafts out there right now I think the Revo has the least
amount of deflection with the Z-2/3 close behind.

Don't really like any of those, but again if deflection is number 1 priority
then those are your weapons of choice.

Regards, Dave

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A quick side note, Jams. Have you played with the Hybrid Pro II? I'm considering that one, but my aim is to get the shaft with the least deflection. Any thoughts? :)

I have played with WX700 and HP2 both for several months and I strogly prefer the HP2 of those two. It is a little more "rigid" meaning it isnt as flexible as WX700 but it feels a lot better especially when playing close shots that require precise position play. Its also more forgiving when you need to force a shot and shoot it hard. WX to me felt like the shaft wanted to give in and HP always felt like it could take a little more power, even when shooting on the edge. Just plain better in every way to my liking :smile:
I always struggled with the WX shaft and later decided to get a HP with another Mezz cue I bought. Never regretted that decision.

I no longer play with a Mezz but if I did, HP2 would be the shaft of my choise :rolleyes:

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've had Schon,Joss,Lucasi,Viking,Pechauer,several Meucci's,several McDermotts. I would choose McD's now,they are built as well as any and their warranty,by far,exceeds any other !!!

bazkook

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pechauer for sure. I had a couple of Pechauer cues before I bought my Daytons and they hit great combined with a Predator 314 shaft.

MikieG

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mcdermott

Mcdermott D series. Because they are well built and traditional classic designs. I like the 3/8-10 joint and their shafts is as good as anyone else's. The price is right especially for real points
That being said, last week I was in their shop and picked up a perfect C21 that will have 2 I shafts. The search is officially over.
I like the older Schon cues for cnc inlaid points.
There are so many guys making cues these days that "custom" is pretty common. In the end, it's just a piece of wood.

HueblerHustler7

AndrewActionG
Silver Member
I've owned tons of custom cues, even high end customs such as Sugartree, But my recommendation would be MEZZ. I've never looked back since i went to Mezz, the offer an amazing product. But then again all of this is subjective, some people can buy a cue from walmart and love the way it shoots, but it could shoot like shit in my eyes.

Tronpocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
well, i play with a capone butt...and a tiger ultra x shaft.
really like the shaft, and it really dont matter (much imho) what its attached to.........so id say TIGER.

HaroldWilson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you were to own a production cue, which brand would you own? And why..

I tried a lot of high end production cues around 15 years ago before starting to collect custom cues. The best production cues I have used are Schon as back then they had excellent shaft wood (don't know about now). Some of the higher models hit as well as a lot of the medium range customs and are well balanced. I remember Bustamante using a Schon shaft with a Bear butt a while ago. My 2nd suggestion would be Mezz as they have very good quality standards and construction and have a nice solid hit. So judging from the thread i think you have a toss up between Schon and Mezz :)

Last edited:

skankhammer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank for the opinions, looks like mezz is overtaking schon as the most desirable production cue.

nycdarkness

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Schon shafts are so damn whippy. I love schon cues but the shafts I've never ever liked. That's the reason I'd take a mezz over a schon. I have both and the shaft is the winner. If we were talking butt alone it be schon any day over mezz.

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Silver Member
What Size

Schon shafts are so damn whippy. I love schon cues but the shafts I've never ever liked. That's the reason I'd take a mezz over a schon. I have both and the shaft is the winner. If we were talking butt alone it be schon any day over mezz.

You sure you have a Schon shaft? I'm a Schon dealer and have never seen one I would consider whippy?

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some of the higher models hit as well as a lot of the medium range customs and are well balanced.

I thought they all hit the same. You're just paying for inlays and artwork in the price differences.
Also thought they balanced about the same too.
You can't get them all to balance the same that's obvious but with Schon
I always thought they got their cues within the same plus or minus certain
balance point.
So I think a 400 dollar Schon hits the same as a 1500 dollar Schon.
Assuming they're new cues, and not 80's stuff.

To the OP: the more I think about it I would get a Tiger sneaky with any
of the Tiger shafts that you prefer.
They hit amazing and you can get one with a wood to wood joint.

lakeman77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Predator. plays great, well made, easy to buy, lots of dealers, lots of used shafts around.