Nine ball rack

Cronk

Registered
I bought a table off of Craigslist about a year ago. Put on some new rubber and new cloth and everything is great. The table came with a 9 ball rack and a regular 15 ball rack. The 9 ball rack was so bad (lots of gaps that take a lot of manipulation to get rid of) that I just stopped using it and instead use the 15 ball rack and my hands to tighten the 9 ball grouping.

My question is, what do most people do at their home tables. Did I just get a really crappy 9 ball rack or is this typical of 9 ball racks and players tend to make due with their regular rack when playing 9 ball?

Last edited:

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Use a regular rack for 9 ball, the extra space helps you to bear down and get a tight rack.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought a table off of Craigslist about a year ago. Put on some new rubber and new cloth and everything is great. The table came with a 9 ball rack and a regular 15 ball rack. The 9 ball rack was so bad (lots of gaps that take a lot of manipulation to get rid of) that I just stopped using it and instead use the 15 ball rack and my hands to tighten the 9 ball grouping.

My question is, what do most people do at their home tables. Did I just get a really crappy 9 ball rack or is this typical of 9 ball racks and players tend to make due with their regular rack when playing 9 ball?

A standard triangle rack is by far the way to go. ( ball racks serve essentially no purpose in pool. Lol.

KMRUNOUT

bazkook

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't see how anyone can use a 9 ball rack. Every time I have gotten a good rack with one I accidentally disturb the balls while removing the rack. It's much easier to use the full rack. Plus like someone else said it is much easier to force the balls together.

Mrdodd72

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
More than likely the ball set that came with the table is worn or cheap. I've found that most racking issues are because the balls are different sized; either because they're inexpensive and produced with loose tolerances, they are worn, or a miss matched set.

Cronk

Registered
More than likely the ball set that came with the table is worn or cheap. I've found that most racking issues are because the balls are different sized; either because their inexpensive and produced with loose tolerances, they are worn, or a miss matched set.

Not in this case. I am using a new set of Aramith Tournament balls.

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have never, ever, seen good players use a "9 ball rack". (Now that I say that someone will tell me that some hall of famer uses it, lol).

Just had one offered to me for free with my new (used) table. I said no thanks.

Good quality full sized rack or a template is all I ever see used by any serious player (or even dedicated hack like me).

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

I bought a bunch of wooden 9-ball racks...place going out of business...
...sold them as picture frames...mostly pool players bought them.

Plastic racks...I dunno...useless as pool racks....can't get your fingers in to tighten the balls.