• 90 years young plus

Votes: 3 1.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm 25, been playing pool since I was 6.

This is an interesting post. I've come across countless of "players" who want to tell me they've been playing for XX years. Most of these guys' experience is bar pool on Friday night. But speaking of serious players, when do people start their count?

I wacked a ball with a stick on a pool table when I was 5. That's not when I started playing pool.

I shot two games with my dad once a year at the Masonic temple starting when I was 8 or 10. That's not when I started playing pool.

We had a 5' or 6' pool table at the church, and my friends and I played on that table every Sunday when I was 12-14. That's not when I started playing pool.

I spent a summer playing every day on a 9' table when working at a summer camp. I was 16. That's really when I started playing the game.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
14 people in the 35-n-under group. This is one of THE main problems in the game, recruiting new players and thus potential members. I have no answers just stating what i see.

TheHobbiesGuide

Registered
This is an interesting post. I've come across countless of "players" who want to tell me they've been playing for XX years. Most of these guys' experience is bar pool on Friday night. But speaking of serious players, when do people start their count?

I wacked a ball with a stick on a pool table when I was 5. That's not when I started playing pool.

I shot two games with my dad once a year at the Masonic temple starting when I was 8 or 10. That's not when I started playing pool.

We had a 5' or 6' pool table at the church, and my friends and I played on that table every Sunday when I was 12-14. That's not when I started playing pool.

I spent a summer playing every day on a 9' table when working at a summer camp. I was 16. That's really when I started playing the game.

You are correct, most people shouldn't start their count that early but here's a little bit more background. I first whacked a ball on a table at 6, but I'd actually say I started playing at 7. I've never played on a kids table, I've always played on an 8' table. My parents both have played their whole lives, although not at a competitive level. We've had a pool table in our house/garage as far back as I can remember. So, they started teaching me how to play at 6/7.

Between ages 7 and 8 I could actually shoot and make shots consistently. I was a very competitive child and hated losing. So while my dad was at work I would play pretty much all day, around school hours, of course. Then when he got home I'd challenge him and if I lost, I'd shoot by myself the rest of the day to get better.

By about 10 (+/- a year) I could keep up with my parents and win off and on. Right around then I started learning english and cue ball control. This is when I surpassed my parents because they didn't understand cue ball control and english other than basic draw and follow.

By High school, they couldn't beat me and I started teaching them english. In high school, is around where I lost interest in pool tho it was a fun party trick to beat my friends' parents in junior high/ high school but that was about it.

Now, I still help my parents and they understand cue ball control, english and defense very well now. Up until last year my parents were playing in an APA pool league in Southern California. My dad is rated as a 7 and my mom was a 6. She was about to be a 7 when she stopped competing for personal reasons. I'm currently on par with both my parents but my consistency isn't as good because I don't play as often as I did when I was younger.

When quarantine ends, I'm planning on hopping in a league, but who knows when that'll be.

Last edited:

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nearing 200, the percentage distribution does not appear to change after 100.

AZB Ages - Summary.jpg

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Majority is 65-70 lol
I am motivated by folks here who are active into their 60s 70s

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Your 81+ group is still wrong.

(for all "n's" but the first)

Damn. I'll just give it up. No, I gotta look. Probably the simplest spreadsheet I have seen in many years, and I can't get it correct? Jeeze...

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Your 81+ group is still wrong.

(for all "n's" but the first)

Yep. First time I took a look I thought surely there would be no more in the 81+ group, so I hard coded the value in the hidden count column. For some reason when I found the error you pointed out regarding the percentages begin off, I did not catch that one; guess because it was a hidden column and I didn't check it.

Thanks for keeping me honest. I either need to focus on my work or do the pool forum, not both!

AZB Age.jpg

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Damn. I'll just give it up. No, I gotta look. Probably the simplest spreadsheet I have seen in many years, and I can't get it correct? Jeeze...

It just looks like there were 4 people at 81+ when n was 127, and the calc. kept it at 4 even when it actually increased.

edit -- oops, I just read your post before this one. Good now.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
AARP's enormous lobbying influence can be felt in even the farthest reaches of the internet.
I joined once, briefly, to get about a $100 hotel discount. Maybe I should join again so I can vote multiple times. Might come in handy in November. :thumbup:

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
Poll was closed. I like that I'm not in your 51+ group.........yet lol
50 this past Summer.
My plans for "Summer of 50 / 2020"
Drink fest obviously went to hell!

xXGEARXx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep. First time I took a look I thought surely there would be no more in the 81+ group, so I hard coded the value in the hidden count column. For some reason when I found the error you pointed out regarding the percentages begin off, I did not catch that one; guess because it was a hidden column and I didn't check it.

Thanks for keeping me honest. I either need to focus on my work or do the pool forum, not both!

View attachment 553421
I don’t care how bad the quality gets, I just can’t rely on you. 😂

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
35 signed up for league at 21 had a home table that got daily use since 16.