John Higgins 147 today at the Crucible!

gogg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Always a Higgins fan!
He,Ronnie&Judd are the” best of” in my book.
Of course, there are a boatload of awesome players Neal,MarkW, and all those guys.... but those three,!

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Great break, I'm sure it woke him up when he saw the red slide off the cushion into the middle pocket.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks. It's good to see how it started.

That single frame is worth a bonus of $72,000 assuming no one ties him.

Do they split if someone ties him? Or does it carry over? Obviously I haven’t seen much snooker.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Do they split if someone ties him? Or does it carry over? Obviously I haven’t seen much snooker.
It's divided. I think there have been one or two tournaments with ties.

Ah. Wikipedia is again our friend. I hope everyone donates from time to time....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximum_break

There have been several tournaments with two 147s, as shown there. There has even been one day in a tournament with two of them. I bet that was a bummer for the player who got the first one.

I don't know how the bonus works now, but for a while about 5000 GBP went into the 147 pot each tournament. There is a separate prize for high break.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
thank you!

Thanks for posting this! I tend to watch more snooker than pool on youtube. Partially because of the excellent production values at the snooker venues, partially the game and the challenges the players face fascinates me. I think chinese eight ball is bringing some of the challenge to the pool world, many more "missable" shots.

This is Higgins' day though! I notice he is trailing in the match, wonder how he finished up? Did the 147 invigorate or exhaust him?

Congratulations to him for the 147 regardless, and the bonus isn't chicken feed either!

Hu

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... This is Higgins' day though! I notice he is trailing in the match, wonder how he finished up? Did the 147 invigorate or exhaust him?

Congratulations to him for the 147 regardless, and the bonus isn't chicken feed either!

Hu
Higgins pulled ahead at 11-10 going to 13 but then Kurt Maflin won the next three in a row to put Higgins out of the tournament. Maflin advances to the round of 8.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thank You!

Higgins pulled ahead at 11-10 going to 13 but then Kurt Maflin won the next three in a row to put Higgins out of the tournament. Maflin advances to the round of 8.

Bob,

Thank you for the update! I suspect Higgins doesn't feel like too much of a loser with a nice paycheck and the first perfect at the Crucible in eight years.

Hu

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
Higgins’ loss today ends his run of finals that started in 2017. He was a finalist in 2017, 2018 and 2019.

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob,

Thank you for the update! I suspect Higgins doesn't feel like too much of a loser with a nice paycheck and the first perfect at the Crucible in eight years.

Hu

True to an extent.

However reaching the finals, Even losing, is worth over 3 times the 147. Winning The tournament ...10 times plus likely double that in endorsements..

However, as important are ranking points. Dollars won by tournament placement ( not 147 bonus) translate into ranking position. The ranking (not to get into details) impacts qualifying requirements for future tournaments.

Higgins is happy with his bonus but is taking home a much smaller pay cheque than the last 3 years.

Last edited:

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I forget how much money he lost, but when o’sullivan made century break number 1000, his final rolling cue ball fell into a pocket and he lost out on an enormous bonus against the player he just defeated with the 1000, neil robertson.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks. It's good to see how it started.

That single frame is worth a bonus of $72,000 assuming no one ties him.

Plus his earnings for top sixteen finish (probably another $25-30,000) and he will make more than you can make for any winning any pool tournament, except maybe the Chinese Eight Ball championship.

I notice how most of the game is played on the lower half of the table (all except the last few balls are made in the bottom four pockets) and it is essentially like playing on a 6' x 6' table. Everything is shot with an open bridge and his chin is screwed down straight over his cue on every shot. You don't see any movement on his follow through either, staying down on his cue all the way through the shot.

Lucky for him his career was not seriously impacted by his "dumping" scandal a few years back, where he agreed (on tape) to throw matches for money. He got what amounted to a slap on the wrist and was back on tour in a few months. ;)

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Plus his earnings for top sixteen finish (probably another $25-30,000) and he will make more than you can make for any winning any pool tournament, except maybe the Chinese Eight Ball championship.

I notice how most of the game is played on the lower half of the table (all except the last few balls are made in the bottom four pockets) and it is essentially like playing on a 6' x 6' table. Everything is shot with an open bridge and his chin is screwed down straight over his cue on every shot. You don't see any movement on his follow through either, staying down on his cue all the way through the shot.

Lucky for him his career was not seriously impacted by his "dumping" scandal a few years back, where he agreed (on tape) to throw matches for money. He got what amounted to a slap on the wrist and was back on tour in a few months. ;)

Because he didn't do anything, he was put in an awkward sudden "sponsorship" meeting with big guys in the room, so he agreed and split with no compensation. I don't blame him or WS for that one

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Wait, what?? He pulled a Ronnie Allen? It seems like they would take that pretty serious over there. I’m surprised he only got a few months off. It’s funny how that little piece of news changes things.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wait, what?? He pulled a Ronnie Allen? It seems like they would take that pretty serious over there. I’m surprised he only got a few months off. It’s funny how that little piece of news changes things.

i tend to believe his side of the story, he was setup believing it was a sponsorship meeting. he had at the time, and since, won so much money and respect that dumping wouldn't make sense. and they didn't find any funny business reviewing his matches.

stephen lee on the other hand, got 12 years suspension. pretty much the career gone there. others are cao yupeng and yu delu, with similar length bans from the tour

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Everything is shot with an open bridge and his chin is screwed down straight over his cue on every shot. You don't see any movement on his follow through either, staying down on his cue all the way through the shot.

He does drop his elbow quite a bit during his stroking motion though. The rest is pretty common place in a traditional snooker player.