The Shot Heard 'round The City - Meeker

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Not as dramatic if it were to have been at say, The US Open semis, but no less *unfreakingbelievable* on this slightly smaller stage.

The semi final at The Steinway Classic last night featuring Mika vs Shane for the chance to meet Jayson in the final.

They played a hard fought match and it came to hill/hill and in that last game they traded a couple of great safes, the last one delivered by Mika (or Meeker depending where you're from) was more than jail, it was Ft. Knox-like and to Shane's credit, even from that lockdown he damn near made the hit, but didn't.

Mika takes BIH and has an easy layout maybe just a notch above connecting the dots.

As he gets to the 6 or 7b he can feel the finish line, he pumps his fist and starts strutting around the table. He makes it to the 8, no problem, then he pots the 9 and as whitey is traveling 3 rails around for perfect shape on the 10b, Mika takes his cue like a baseball bat and air-bunts over the cue ball coaxing it along until it landed just right, nicely off the final cushion.

He has a routine slight offset shot on the 10 into the bottom left corner, in all about a 4ft shot for the win. He lets go, it rattles, and the 2nd titty sends the 10 all the way up table near the other same-side corner pocket. What???

The crowd all gasped in unison, Mika dropped backwards right onto the floor in disgust, then as he got up he flung his cue onto the next table, everyone was in stunned disbelief.

fwiw, this was a ball that we very often see conceded, man this makes you wonder. A world champ dogs a very routine case ball to make it into the final.

Shane had to wait about 5 minutes for the place to settle down enough to pot the pretty easy 10b for the win.

Should a final ball ever be conceded in an important tourney?

best,
brian kc

Last edited:

drv4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Skids, miscues, an increase in pressure. I'd never concede the case ball to anyone. If it's that easy a shot it takes all of 5-10 secs to go through their routine and pot it, so saving time isn't a factor.

Qaddiction

User name says it all...
Silver Member
I may be in the minority here, but I don't think a ball should ever be conceded. Respect the rules of the game.

Is there any other sport out there where balls, runs, goals, laps, etc are conceded? I am sure I am thinking to deep now, but maybe that is one reason pool is not consider a sport? It's definitely not paid like a sport. Perhaps it is just a game. A game in which I love.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
that's brutal... was it clear at all what happened?
Did he just legitimately dog it or was there a skid,
or maybe it was just treating it too casually and premature celebration?

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member

one of the commentators, Jared, who apparently knows Mika, went over to him after he had a lot of cool-off time to ask about this shot.

Jared says Mika claimed he just had a loss of concentration or similar.

best,
brian kc

Mole Eye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seems to be a lot of glee over the fact that Mika missed; Having missed many an easy shot, I can't help but feel for him. Hopefully there is a lesson learned.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Conspiracy:

Mika and Shane planned this out like a wrestling match.

It makes it more exciting for fans to watch.

A player meltdown is like watching a NASCAR race for a crash.

No one wants to see it, but when it happens its hard not to watch.

Kris_b1104

House Pro in my own home.
Silver Member
I remember when this happened last night, I was laughing my a55 off. Even my girlfriend who doesn't even like or watch pool, gasped when she saw Mika miss on the live-stream. Good times. It was definitely exciting and kinda woke me up. The general audience would eat this stuff up if it happened on TV, it would be a trending topic on twitter.

#Mikamissedbecause ...

Bank it

Uh Huh, Sounds Legit
Silver Member

The pool gods don't like it when you show off & strut. Payment was due & exacted as they always exact it, at the worst possible moment.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seems to be a lot of glee over the fact that Mika missed; Having missed many an easy shot, I can't help but feel for him. Hopefully there is a lesson learned.

For every high there is a low.

I feelin no more or less emotion for his miss than for his opponent's victory.

Is it a friggin crazy shit? Youbetcha.

decent dennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So did the owner throw him out on his keister or at least look at him sternly? Probably rubbed his back and said it"ll be ok.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
Not as dramatic if it were to have been at say, The US Open semis, but no less *unfreakingbelievable* on this slightly smaller stage.

The semi final at The Steinway Classic last night featuring Mika vs Shane for the chance to meet Jayson in the final.

They played a hard fought match and it came to hill/hill and in that last game they traded a couple of great safes, the last one delivered by Mika (or Meeker depending where you're from) was more than jail, it was Ft. Knox-like and to Shane's credit, even from that lockdown he damn near made the hit, but didn't.

Mika takes BIH and has an easy layout maybe just a notch above connecting the dots.

As he gets to the 6 or 7b he can feel the finish line, he pumps his fist and starts strutting around the table. He makes it to the 8, no problem, then he pots the 9 and as whitey is traveling 3 rails around for perfect shape on the 10b, Mika takes his cue like a baseball bat and air-bunts over the cue ball coaxing it along until it landed just right, nicely off the final cushion.

He has a routine slight offset shot on the 10 into the bottom left corner, in all about a 4ft shot for the win. He lets go, it rattles, and the 2nd titty sends the 10 all the way up table near the other same-side corner pocket. What???

The crowd all gasped in unison, Mika dropped backwards right onto the floor in disgust, then as he got up he flung his cue onto the next table, everyone was in stunned disbelief.

fwiw, this was a ball that we very often see conceded, man this makes you wonder. A world champ dogs a very routine case ball to make it into the final.

Shane had to wait about 5 minutes for the place to settle down enough to pot the pretty easy 10b for the win.

best,
brian kc
If you have played this game for any length if time at any level you know that weird sh!t happens when you least expect it. Anyone can miscue. Any ball can skid. Play. It. Out.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I may be in the minority here, but I don't think a ball should ever be conceded. Respect the rules of the game.

Is there any other sport out there where balls, runs, goals, laps, etc are conceded?

uhhh ya, a cue sport no less, snooker

Danimal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was one of those racks when Mika got to the table, you thought, "He's out. This is a pretty surprising upset for him to knock out Shane."

When he made the 8 ball, he left the cueball long with a funny angle on the 9. The 9 ball was close to the pocket and just off the rail, but again the angle was funny. He couldn't exactly go rail first and come around three rails, and he couldn't exactly just draw back to get good on the 10.

He took the only viable option, which was to force follow with the straight-ish angle two rails out of the corner, and he landed up with the CB near the side pocket. The 10 ball was near the vicinity of the foot spot.

The shot on the 10 wasn't a gimmie, but it was the type of shot that you expect a good player to make 9 out of 10 times. Since he had to awkwardly bridge over the side rail, it ticked up the difficulty of the shot and made it an 8.5 out of 10.

This was that .5 moment.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

best,
brian kc

Wow, too bad I missed that match. Thanks for the transcription
Watch bit of his earlier match v Ruslan and he also smashed his cue when he missed a ball
Have no opinion on whether final ball should be conceded- I think it is ok either way

So was his miss worst than Karl Boyes miss on this 8 ball ? :D

https://youtu.be/1LHe2FQFYtQ?t=10

BJTyler747

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Is there any other sport out there where balls, runs, goals, laps, etc are conceded? I am sure I am thinking to deep now, but maybe that is one reason pool is not consider a sport? It's definitely not paid like a sport. Perhaps it is just a game. A game in which I love.

Games/Sports where a concession is commonplace:

Golf (match play) - a hole
Snooker - a frame
Chess - a game
Politics - an election
Bridge - tricks
Magic - a round

Last edited:

Mkbtank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Almost as tough to watch as Negan on Glenn. Almost. Definitely no skid or miscue. Those are the shots that you reply in your mind 1000 times hoping it goes in this time (I speak from experience. Ugh)

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Games/Sports where a concession is commonplace:

Golf (match play) - a hole
Snooker - a frame
Chess - a game
Politics - an election
Bridge - tricks
Magic - a round

a little different, but baseball - bottom of the 9th when home team is ahead.

i think it's crazy to charge for viewing and allow any form of concession or holding-back.

50,000 people pay out of the nose months in advance for a ticket to the last game of the football regular season, and the stars don't play for the sake of preventing an injury.... bad business in my opinion.

imagine if they tried that with concerts: jimmy buffet fills in for mick jagger in baltimore so mick will be fresh for next week's show in new york city.

Last edited: