Viking joins Carbon “fever”

Santin23

Registered
Hello everyone,

Firstly I hope you’re doing well, I‘ve read a post about Viking is finally releasing its own CF shaft, in my perspective is a good new, not only because this action gives an option to Viking owners to have a full Viking product with CF technology, but also increases competitiveness between brands. I would like to know more about it, for instance where they will be built and some real reviews of course, well I’ll be expecting for more news, meanwhile I would like to know your thoughts!

Regards,

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Their description makes it sound like filament winding was just invented. Well, it wasn't. Been around a long time. REVO and Cynergy(and probably others) are made using filament winding. Looks like the Cynergy with that ferrule.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
lol why would they want to do that when so many are just eating these 500 dollar ones up

I really wonder how much of a tangible difference the carbon fiber shaft has made to the games to the owners. I'm winning to wager the bulk of adopters came from a LD wooden shaft of whatever maker.

I understand that mechanically speaking a CF shaft can out perform a wooded LD counterpart. That however doesn't translate to increased player performance.

I'm just blown away with what people are willing to pay these days for equipment. Let alone consumables like chalk.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
several makers offer em in the 250 price range
Small guys yeah. No major maker has offered one yet. That will be the game changer. Right now they're all still getting fat off the players that have to have new stuff as soon as it comes out. Golf equipment is the same way.

surffisher2a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really wonder how much of a tangible difference the carbon fiber shaft has made to the games to the owners. I'm winning to wager the bulk of adopters came from a LD wooden shaft of whatever maker.

I understand that mechanically speaking a CF shaft can out perform a wooded LD counterpart. That however doesn't translate to increased player performance.

I'm just blown away with what people are willing to pay these days for equipment. Let alone consumables like chalk.

I played with a LD shaft for about 2 years prior to last month and I switched to the Revo about 2 weeks ago. I can say it has mildy improved my game because I don't have to hit the ball as hard to get the needed action on the cue ball, therefore making more balls that might normally rattle the pocket. I also find I don't need to use as much english on the cue ball to get the action i want, which again helps with aiming.

I will say it took me a couple of days to get used to the revo, I was over powering most shots and over running my position a LOT, once I got dialed in it has been smooth sailing from there.

For beginners just starting out I think the CF shaft will make the game a bit easier for them when starting to use spin since 90% of the newer players have no idea about things like deflection, various throws and etc. While the CF shaft doesn't resolve those problems, it does minimize some of them and a player would make more balls without making any adjustment in aim for those types of things.

terpdad

Registered
several makers offer em in the 250 price range

Ones that play well? I don't know where to find them. Names & recos would definitely be appreciated. The (very little) feedback I've seen on < $300 CF shafts isn't good & several smaller companies' shafts (GO, Wheat State, etc.) that have good reviews cost as much or more as offerings from McDermott & Cuetec. Their shafts may be superior (IDK), but I think most people would prefer dealing w/ larger established companies when the price is the same.

smoochie

NotLikeThis
I was in that boat too, I bought 499 dollar revo shaft, hit with it twice, it then went under the table and its sitting there for a long time now, it was the worst investment ever but I had to try it myself to see what's the hype is about, apparently its just a hype.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I was in that boat too, I bought 499 dollar revo shaft, hit with it twice, it then went under the table and its sitting there for a long time now, it was the worst investment ever but I had to try it myself to see what's the hype is about, apparently its just a hype.

I've been fortunate enough to know people that play with various models of CF shafts, so I have had the opportunity to experiment a little.

I was not a fan of the revos at all. I wouldn't pick one up at half the retail price. The Jacoby hits way better imo.

I play with a Z2 and a rock hard tip, so the fatter CFs and the suggested soft tips are just too much of a departure for me. Assuming I could get passed the sticker price anyways...

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All I can say I'll be surprised to see a lot of reviews on this. Just ridiculous...
Tested some most popular cf shafts ...I've built cf shafts for myself and a student lately. First I liked them having some fun till I finished a new playing cue with LD solid maple shaft a month ago. I enjoy it and now I have a spare cf shaft which looks pretty ugly on this pretty simple plain jane butt (maple forearm & buttsleeve, Pau Rosa handle). While with its maple shaft I love all about it either its performance and feel or the look).
When it comes to building the shaft as soon as you have cf blanks on hands ... well comparing to wood it is just a joke...
If those big manufacturers invested quite a lot in their R&D as many believe that's why the cost of their cf shafts is that high...so I wonder how long it takes for those companies to get back their investments in R&D and lower the price?
Well I'm pretty sure the biggest factor is the demand.
At the end as "the Rocket" stated after coming back in his semi vs. Selby "it's all about cue action"...:thumbup:

Last edited:

Thunder Thighs

I'm your Huckleberry
Silver Member
So Viking is taking on Predator at the same price point? In my opinion, they’re going to be missing out on a lot of sales. They’re simply not at the same level as Predator. Whether it’s actual quality, innovation, or customer perception. I think Cuetec’s $399 price point would be more logical, although Viking can’t match Cuetec’s marketing campaign. So if I were making the business decision at Viking, I would launch this new shaft at $375.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
I can't believe we are just heading about them and they are out. We've been hearing about Lucasi's for 2 years and haven't even seen a test model yet.