Adding rings?

bignick31985

Life Long Learner
Silver Member
I have a Predator 8pt Sneaky Pete. The bottom of the points do not meet. So to spice it up a bit I figured I'd get a set of rings added. One to cover where the points dont meet, sorta at the top of where a wrap would end. And then one at the bottom where a wrap would start.

But its wrapless.

How much would that cost? I emailed a cue guy about it a couple days ago, but figured this forum would be a faster answer.

bman43

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a Predator 8pt Sneaky Pete. The bottom of the points do not meet. So to spice it up a bit I figured I'd get a set of rings added. One to cover where the points dont meet, sorta at the top of where a wrap would end. And then one at the bottom where a wrap would start.

But its wrapless.

How much would that cost? I emailed a cue guy about it a couple days ago, but figured this forum would be a faster answer.

dont think u can add rings there once cue is made.but u can wrap it and cover where the points dont meet

dave sutton

Banned
You can add rings but it is a major job. Basically I would dowel from the bottom of the points to the buttcap. Slide the rings up then sleeve on the new handle. Like a core. And retaper. Basically redoing the bottom of the cue. Keeping it wrapless and the full splice in tact. Costly don't think it's worth it. Jmo

BuchananCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
heres a trick

Heres a trick I do for house cue conversion
if it jump/break put in like ring work if just break i cut inlay groove.
i roll around and but up and take little solder at seem and finsh.
if you want red,blue,green da,da,da chose one and take clear epoxy and mix oh cut little bit more groove and center as best you can.

STERLING SILVER BILLET STRIPS

INLAY MATERIALS - STERLING SILVER BILLET STRIPS

STERLING SILVER BILLET STRIPS

Qty Item # Description Size Weight Price

QSSBS .50 STERLING SILVER BILLET STRIPS .50mm x 3mm x 12" 0.06 4.95
QSSBS .75 STERLING SILVER BILLET STRIPS .75mm x 3mm x 12" 0.06 6.95
www.cuestik.com

Attachments

• Sterling%20silver%20billet%20strips.jpg
    Sterling%20silver%20billet%20strips.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 418

bman43

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
well

dont think u can add rings there once cue is made.but u can wrap it and cover where the points dont meet

let me say that again.ofcourse you can cut the cue apart then put some rings on it but that is not practical and would cost more than building that cue from start.and i dont thing u were looking for a jumpbreak but yes it is possible.just not realistic
um im mean sure u can add all sorts of rings to a cue.thats what i meant to say.i gotta admit u guys r pretty creative.and i like tony zinzolas idea.

Last edited:

TripXQ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
rings

Add one ring of crushed turquoise or chrysacola gemstone above and below wrap area for about $65 plus shipping. Takes a while but stunning.
Tom Gedris, Triple Cross Cues:cool:

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
I haven't done it but I do believe that it can be done.
There are two methods that come to mind.

The cue can be cut in half at the bottom of the points, an 'A' joint created and the cue reassembled. Don't forget to install the ring. The trick is to reassemble with perfect alignment. Since it's a Predator sneaky, they're already pretty slim so you won't have the luxury of wiggle room. This method assumes that you are willing to give up the full-splice construction as you will now have a 'half-splice' cue.

The other method may be less invasive but does require the same level of precision.
A small groove is cut where you'd like the ring installed, much in the same manner as you would if you were cutting a wrap groove. Measure the thickness of the ring you'd like installed and cut the groove width just .001/.002" wider than the thickness of the ring. I would only go to a depth that would allow 3/4" diameter at the bottom of the groove. While I single-point cut a wrap groove, I think I'd use a router to cut the groove for this task.
Pretty simple and straight-forward so far but here's where it gets tricky.
You have to cut or break your ring exactly in half. You may even have to start with two rings to get the two halves exactly the same as the blade you use to cut the ring will remove from the ring, the blade's thickness by 2.
Install the two halves of the ring in the groove with sufficient epoxy and clamp it until cured. Cut/sand the new ring to size, seal & finish. Done and still full-splice.

A point of consideration is the matching of the finish. Not the surface 'feel' but the visual blending so it's not apparent that any work was done. That's true with whatever method you choose.

What you ask can be done but it won't be cheap. Only you can determine if it's worth it.

bignick31985

Life Long Learner
Silver Member
I should clarify. When I said rings I sorta meant the inlay idea. A ring style inlay. Sorry if I mislead anyone. I also didnt know how involved adding an actual ring would be. Again I apologize for the confusion.

I like the idea of the strips being set into a groove. Is there a place online I can look at different styles and such? Or are there only those ones in the post above. I also noticed that Atlas has the veneers sheets. Could those be cut to the thickness of the silver strips and used as welL?

And thanks for the good input fellas!!!

Last edited:

Tony Zinzola

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have inlaid a black phenolic ring into a finished cue many times. Just cut a groove about .1" deep (facing off both sides), the exact width you want the ring. Cut it to the thickness you need (I roll it around in the groove I cut to make sure it's a tight fit all the way around). Bore it out to the diameter of your groove. I then set the ring on the counter and hammer a razor blade through it. Fill the groove with epoxy, then slide the ring down the cue until it snaps into place. Then either use a small clamp or electrical tape to hold force it closed. Wait a day for the Epoxy, then cut the ring to match the cue and inlay it.

You could do it making a Ring Billet with the Sterling Silver Strips first and just cut through a black section to slide it down the cue, then turn it to align it.

It's really not that hard to do. Just have to make sure everything is a tight fit.

cuemaker03

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have inlaid a black phenolic ring into a finished cue many times. Just cut a groove about .1" deep (facing off both sides), the exact width you want the ring. Cut it to the thickness you need (I roll it around in the groove I cut to make sure it's a tight fit all the way around). Bore it out to the diameter of your groove. I then set the ring on the counter and hammer a razor blade through it. Fill the groove with epoxy, then slide the ring down the cue until it snaps into place. Then either use a small clamp or electrical tape to hold force it closed. Wait a day for the Epoxy, then cut the ring to match the cue and inlay it.

You could do it making a Ring Billet with the Sterling Silver Strips first and just cut through a black section to slide it down the cue, then turn it to align it.

It's really not that hard to do. Just have to make sure everything is a tight fit.
Seems like the best solution.