Gulyassy SPTX?

skinnymg1

Registered
Was just curious if anyone has one, and their words on it. Thinking about buying one and would like to hear if I am making a good buy or not.

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
Was just curious if anyone has one, and their words on it. Thinking about buying one and would like to hear if I am making a good buy or not.

I own a Gulyassy custom with SPTX shafts, planning to post some pics and maybe write a review at some point, but seeing no one has replied to your question, let me say a few words. Needless to say, what makes this shaft so exceptional is the looong taper (18 inches straight?) that would be impossibly whippy if the wood weren't soaked in Mike's Shaft Freeze. Whether or not it qualifies as low-deflection shaft is hard for me to tell: using side spin, the difference to e.g. my 20-year-old Southwest birdseye maple pro taper shaft is negligible at best - which doesn't mean it's impossible to handle, far from it. It's less gradual for sure: similar to other LD shafts, one won't miss slightly mishit center ball shots (= no intention of playing side spin, merely unclean center ball - probably any LD shaft's greatest but unknown advantage to the novice, IMHO, that they're so forgiving in this respect). The SPTX feels different, maybe whippy, easy to overcook shots, probably best used by expert players, I wouldn't recommend it to a beginner. I'd even go so far as to say it feels a bit weird, especially due to the Shaft Freeze a bit CueTec-like, but the fact remains, I was able to do one of my daily regimen exercises as well and quickly as on average, if not better, and won a Round Robin tournament (winning all matches despite spotting heavy handicaps), all on Day 1 (= the day I got the cue). In other words, I'm old-timey, used to touching wood (the Shaft Freeze feels "plastified"), but there's nothing wrong with the way the cue hits - especially playing little or no english, it hits so solid, it's hard to believe it's the same cue/type of shaft that, when one knocks it on its side, wobbles like crazy. Now, the Shaft Freeze is a problem in our at this time of the year rather humid climate: it sticks to my skin, almost burns it. But the taper is such that, when I used a glove on Day 2 (I usually don't like using gloves, and never do), I was amazed how I could use a virtually airtight bridge, control speed (which with a glove, I tend to have a problem with normally) and follow through no end. That combination, in a humid climate, may in fact be ideal. Now, to end this with, I have no idea what this type of shaft will do for other cues - I could only try it on that custom Gulyassy (he uses his own type of joint pin). It's a fascinating concept for sure, and a more modern-minded but experienced player may feel very much at home with it. But note it's certainly no 314-2 (stiff, hollow also in terms of hit and feel) or the like - rather the contrary (provides the through-vibration of a whip, if in the best sense, truly a shaft to generate power with, and make the cue ball dance). Not sure this helps?

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

Last edited:

skinnymg1

Registered
I own a Gulyassy custom with SPTX shafts, planning to post some pics and maybe write a review at some point, but seeing no one has replied to your question, let me say a few words. Needless to say, what makes this shaft so exceptional is the looong taper (18 inches straight?) that would be impossibly whippy if the wood weren't soaked in Mike's Shaft Freeze. Whether or not it qualifies as low-deflection shaft is hard for me to tell: using side spin, the difference to e.g. my 20-year-old Southwest birdseye maple pro taper shaft is negligible at best - which doesn't mean it's impossible to handle, far from it. It's less gradual for sure: similar to other LD shafts, one won't miss slightly mishit center ball shots (= no intention of playing side spin, merely unclean center ball - probably any LD shaft's greatest but unknown advantage to the novice, IMHO, that they're so forgiving in this respect). The SPTX feels different, maybe whippy, easy to overcook shots, probably best used by expert players, I wouldn't recommend it to a beginner. I'd even go so far as to say it feels a bit weird, especially due to the Shaft Freeze a bit CueTec-like, but the fact remains, I was able to do one of my daily regimen exercises as well and quickly as on average, if not better, and won a Round Robin tournament (winning all matches despite spotting heavy handicaps), all on Day 1 (= the day I got the cue). In other words, I'm old-timey, used to touching wood (the Shaft Freeze feels "plastified"), but there's nothing wrong with the way the cue hits - especially playing little or no english, it hits so solid, it's hard to believe it's the same cue/type of shaft that, when one knocks it on its side, wobbles like crazy. Now, the Shaft Freeze is a problem in our at this time of the year rather humid climate: it sticks to my skin, almost burns it. But the taper is such that, when I used a glove on Day 2 (I usually don't like using gloves, and never do), I was amazed how I could use a virtually airtight bridge, control speed (which with a glove, I tend to have a problem with normally) and follow through no end. That combination, in a humid climate, may in fact be ideal. Now, to end this with, I have no idea what this type of shaft will do for other cues - I could only try it on that custom Gulyassy (he uses his own type of joint pin). It's a fascinating concept for sure, and a more modern-minded but experienced player may feel very much at home with it. But note it's certainly no 341-2 (stiff, hollow also in terms of hit and feel) or the like - rather the contrary (provides the through-vibration of a whip, if in the best sense, truly a shaft to generate power with, and make the cue ball dance). Not sure this helps?

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

Thanks Allot, answered just about everything I wanted to know.

resurrecta

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Give or take 2 months ago, I received my cue from Mike. I asked him to make an exact match of what Earl's playing with. Of course I'm fully aware that I don't have Earl's skills, nor does it automatically mean that Earl's cue is the right one for me.
I bought because I'm a fan of Earl.
That being said, I received the cue. First thing I noticed, was the balance. The cue has the sptx shaft and when screwed on, the cue felt like fully "in balance". What I mean is that when I held the cue, it didn't have a feeling that made you say "this is forward balance or rear balanced". It was on point, great feeling.
I thanked Mike explicitly for the nice piece of cocobolo he selected for the version of the cue. I'm still loving the fine craftsmanship. Excellently pressed linnen grip. Not even the tiniest gap detectable in the linnen strings.
Now, the shaft... As said here earlier, it doesn't feel at all like any LD shaft in the conventional sense. Maybe technically, it's an LD shaft because the front mass is less because there's less wood due to the long taper.
The long taper.... well, first thing you'd say, is like "this is strange". But once you start stroking, you feel the follow through with closed bridge becomes easier and smoother. Also, I'm a short guy with small hands and I'm really happy about this taper. It doesn't "jam" fast between my fingers because it doesn't gain alot of thickness.
What acousticsguru called the "cuetec" feeling, it's true in the sense that you feel the wood is well sealed and it doesn't feel like the wood grains are gliding through your hand. Personally, I didn't experience any trouble with it.

Personally, I'd say "best cue in its price range". To say best cue in any range, is hard, just because of the craftsmanship of many other builder.
This is a pj style of cue... So I guess inlayed cues often force more respect as ownership. But in performance, I honestly firmly believe it's the best cue you can get.