Gcii

Tablemaker

Registered
I am refurbishing a table and looking to change out the old damaged wood laminate for a matte black. Does anyone have experience removing old laminate from GCII rails? Typically I have used heat to remove laminate, but it doesn't seem to be coming off.
thanks for any assistance

JZMechanix

Silver Member
I use a Makita power hand planer. Makes a helluva mess but just skim off a little bit at a time and eventually you'll get it done. Much easier than a heat gun, IMO.

20170105_184923-1612x1209.jpg

20170105_185824-1612x1209.jpg

41Zo0cuiy1L._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I am refurbishing a table and looking to change out the old damaged wood laminate for a matte black. Does anyone have experience removing old laminate from GCII rails? Typically I have used heat to remove laminate, but it doesn't seem to be coming off.
thanks for any assistance

How do you know its a GC2?

Tablemaker

Registered
I was told its a II, but I believe it may be a I...it has the clip-on/snap in apron to rail connection.
I did end up using the power plane method, and YES it makes a mess.
All the old stuff is stripped off now.
Black laminate is getting put on today

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I was told its a II, but I believe it may be a I...it has the clip-on/snap in apron to rail connection.
I did end up using the power plane method, and YES it makes a mess.
All the old stuff is stripped off now.
Black laminate is getting put on today

GC1 & 2 rail blinds attached the exact same way. Silver ball tray and feet, GC1. Bronze finish, GC2 as well as paint stained rosewood finished rail blinds....GC2.