Cue Extension vs. Shaft Extension

newcuer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If one wanted to add 6" or 8" inches to the total length of a standard 58" inch cue, what is preferred a cue extension attached to the butt or a shaft extension between the shaft and butt?

Interested in what peoples' opinion are regarding this.

pab

Center ball can do it all
Silver Member
For me personally, I'm 6' tall with orangutan arms and prefer a long cue/bridge.

I shoot with a Jacoby cue and shaft and had them both made to 31" - then added a 6" extension in the middle.

I have a tried a couple of butt extensions before, but prefer the shaft extension.

That's me though.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Logic wold say that a cue extension added to the bottom of a cue butt is for reach only- a long bridge substitute and an extension added between the butt and shaft would be for continuous play with that cue.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
This is the answer. Many production cues/shafts now come in longer lengths.

For me personally, I'm 6' tall with orangutan arms and prefer a long cue/bridge.

I shoot with a Jacoby cue and shaft and had them both made to 31" - then added a 6" extension in the middle.

I have a tried a couple of butt extensions before, but prefer the shaft extension.

That's me though.

gerard soriano

HIGH RUN STILL TO COME !
Silver Member
This will probably make no sense but here goes ,I hold the cue at the very end I play with a 4' mid cue ext it feels just like a longer cue when trying rear cue ext it feels like trying to shoot with a javelin IMHO

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would say the real answer is. It would depend on where you want the balance of the cue to be.

Saturated Fats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Logic wold say that a cue extension added to the bottom of a cue butt is for reach only- a long bridge substitute and an extension added between the butt and shaft would be for continuous play with that cue.

Here's the solution I found. It assumes that you want to use the extension full time.

I have a (plastic) butt extension with an aluminum pin. It weighs only 2.5 ounces. The cue's rubber bumper is removed from the cue and the extension screws into the threads made for the bumper. The bumper now screws into the extension instead. I removed the cue's weight bolt and the cue now weighs 19.5 ounces - same as before the extension - and the balance is identical to the original balance.