Origins of 1 cue butt width Clearance Rule for CB Frozen to Cushion?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just curious how, why, and when this often seen custom among recreational and beginner level players which allows them to use the butt end of their cue stick to move the cue ball one butt width off the cushion, when a cue ball is frozen or close to frozen on a cushion? I know it makes it easier for beginner level players, but my observations in watching recreational players in here do this for 23+ years is that it has managed to have been passed down so long that my hunch is that many of them truly believe it is allowed in the rules to do so.

If it’s any of our regular playing younger players in here, I try to nicely let them know it is not part of the rules and that they should learn how to play the cue ball without moving it off the cushion. However, for the tourists or other recreational players that aren’t regulars in here, I refrain from saying anything, just as I avoid letting them know if they are racking the balls on the wrong end of the table.

Just curious if those of you that play in public pool rooms or bar rooms see many of the recreational / beginner players doing this as much as we see it in here?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just curious how, why, and when this often seen custom among recreational and beginner level players which allows them to use the butt end of their cue stick to move the cue ball one butt width off the cushion, when a cue ball is frozen or close to frozen on a cushion? I know it makes it easier for beginner level players, but my observations in watching recreational players in here do this for 23+ years is that it has managed to have been passed down so long that my hunch is that many of them truly believe it is allowed in the rules to do so.

If it’s any of our regular playing younger players in here, I try to nicely let them know it is not part of the rules and that they should learn how to play the cue ball without moving it off the cushion. However, for the tourists or other recreational players that aren’t regulars in here, I refrain from saying anything, just as I avoid letting them know if they are racking the balls on the wrong end of the table.

Just curious if those of you that play in public pool rooms or bar rooms see many of the recreational / beginner players doing this as much as we see it in here?
Only seen this in bars, have no idea how/where it started.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
Putt Putt is the first place I saw that used, then I guess it was a natural progression, length of putter head, same for pool shaft?

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
That was the Boy's Club rule when I was 10 years old. Haven't actually seen it done since.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
That was the Boy's Club rule when I was 10 years old. Haven't actually seen it done since.

That’s my understanding of this habit.
Up my way, we called it the YMCA rule....
..often there was no chalk and probably no tip....so the rule made sense.

It was basically “pre-Mingaud” conditions

jackpot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
needs to set standards

It's the rule so learn to live with it. I grew up playing the game the correct
way, if it is against the cushion of course you move it (a cue butts width off).
In the big tournaments they have a special tool so it is always moved the
same. I used to play this one guy that had an old Willy Hop cue that was
as big around as a baseball bat, I play with a Samsara so he was able to
move his cue ball almost twice as far as me. We never knew what kind of
hi-jinks this guy would pull.
jack