Mezz Ignite CF Shaft Review

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've tried all kinds of cues and have learned that I enjoy stiff hitting cues with a ping to them. I also play a hard 3C tip which lends itself to a ping. I was reluctant to try a CF shaft because of the initial price and my lack of interest in maple LD shafts. However the discussion about the BeCue and various reviews piqued my interest. I bought a BeCue and immediately began playing better by about a ball or two. I was stringing together a couple of ten ball racks which I previously had not been able to do. So I was sold on the BeCue and then had an opportunity to play with a Revo and enjoyed how stiff it was but it had an even more muted hit than the BeCue. I preferred the BeCue, but enjoyed the stiffness.
Then I came across a YouTube review of various shafts and the reviewer explained that the Mezz ignite shaft had a ping. I thought I would give it a shot but had never played a Mezz cue before because I prefer custom cues. I had difficulty finding an ignite shaft on its own and ended up buying a basic Mezz. I am blown away by this cue and the shaft. I think the easiest way to describe it is that it is incredibly powerful. I am able to easily get position on shots with half the effort that I would with a regular wooden shaft. I'm not really a believer in "measuring" deflection, I just adapt to shafts and cues, but the ignite shaft has dramatically less deflection than a regular wooden shaft and plays much stiffer, like an old DPK shaft. I'm drawing shots easily 1.5 table lengths on a 9' table with about half the effort. The cue came with a Kamuai clear soft, so I'm looking forward to changing it to my hard 3C tip when it wears out.
For those of you interested in a stiff hitting CF shaft with nice feedback, I'd highly recommend trying out the Mezz ignite. If you want a CF shaft with the feel of a wood hit, then the BeCue would be a great option. If I hadn't tried the Mezz, the BeCue would have stayed my main player, it's a great cue as well.
My next test is going to be a Gocustom. A friend of mine in FL suggested trying out a Gocustom because I want to use these CF shafts on my custom cues and the ignite only comes in 2 joint options.
Good luck everyone in trying these shafts out; they're a game changer....
Sorry to disagree, but the Mezz Ignite shaft does NOT have a “ping” sound or feel to it, in my opinion. I played with a Revo shaft, so I’m well aware of what you mean when you say a “ping”.

RAMIII

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No problem at all, I think this is the experimentation side that's important to figure out the right combination for each player. I played with an ignite shaft on a Mezz wavvy joint butt with a soft Kamuai tip that I took down significantly so I could achieve a harder hit. What combination did you try?

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've tried all kinds of cues and have learned that I enjoy stiff hitting cues with a ping to them. I also play a hard 3C tip which lends itself to a ping. I was reluctant to try a CF shaft because of the initial price and my lack of interest in maple LD shafts. However the discussion about the BeCue and various reviews piqued my interest. I bought a BeCue and immediately began playing better by about a ball or two. I was stringing together a couple of ten ball racks which I previously had not been able to do. So I was sold on the BeCue and then had an opportunity to play with a Revo and enjoyed how stiff it was but it had an even more muted hit than the BeCue. I preferred the BeCue, but enjoyed the stiffness.
Then I came across a YouTube review of various shafts and the reviewer explained that the Mezz ignite shaft had a ping. I thought I would give it a shot but had never played a Mezz cue before because I prefer custom cues. I had difficulty finding an ignite shaft on its own and ended up buying a basic Mezz. I am blown away by this cue and the shaft. I think the easiest way to describe it is that it is incredibly powerful. I am able to easily get position on shots with half the effort that I would with a regular wooden shaft. I'm not really a believer in "measuring" deflection, I just adapt to shafts and cues, but the ignite shaft has dramatically less deflection than a regular wooden shaft and plays much stiffer, like an old DPK shaft. I'm drawing shots easily 1.5 table lengths on a 9' table with about half the effort. The cue came with a Kamuai clear soft, so I'm looking forward to changing it to my hard 3C tip when it wears out.
For those of you interested in a stiff hitting CF shaft with nice feedback, I'd highly recommend trying out the Mezz ignite. If you want a CF shaft with the feel of a wood hit, then the BeCue would be a great option. If I hadn't tried the Mezz, the BeCue would have stayed my main player, it's a great cue as well.
My next test is going to be a Gocustom. A friend of mine in FL suggested trying out a Gocustom because I want to use these CF shafts on my custom cues and the ignite only comes in 2 joint options.
Good luck everyone in trying these shafts out; they're a game changer....
There are some contradictions in your review...
My experience tells Revo (I've tested 12,9) is the stiffiest shaft I've ever tried and many complain about a ping sound...while I did not notice that or I've just had so much fun testing it that just did not notice).
Becue Prime-M shaft may have the most flexibility out of all of c.f. out there (the Rogue may be very close to Prime-M in this being soft-hitting too). Mezz Ignite is of course stiffier than Becue Prime-M but definitely not as stiff as the Revo.
It does not mean any of mentioned shafts is better than the others. It totally depends on what somebody prefers.
It is strange you like the stiffness and a ping in a hit but did not choose the Revo:scratchhead:
As they say "for each their own".

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No problem at all, I think this is the experimentation side that's important to figure out the right combination for each player. I played with an ignite shaft on a Mezz wavvy joint butt with a soft Kamuai tip that I took down significantly so I could achieve a harder hit. What combination did you try?
Mezz Exceed wavy with Ignite wavy. As for the Revo’s, I believe it’s the 12.4 Revo that has a pronounced “ping” but strangely the 12.9 Revo does not.

RAMIII

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never noticed a ping in the Revo at all. I was playing with the 12.4 medium predator tip, perhaps that's why?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never noticed a ping in the Revo at all. I was playing with the 12.4 medium predator tip, perhaps that's why?
Maybe I’ve got them confused as to which one has the ping and which one doesn’t, but we do have various customers in here that are using Revo shafts and some sound completely different than others.

cue4me

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe I’ve got them confused as to which one has the ping and which one doesn’t, but we do have various customers in here that are using Revo shafts and some sound completely different than others.

I agree completely. They vary in the sound they produce. I think it is a combination of the tip, the joint and maybe the way the foam is inside of the shaft. What I've heard many describe as a ping actually sounds sounds to me like the shaft is hollow. I tried a 12.4 Revo for several weeks and just couldn't get used to that hollow sound. It is definitely not that pleasant "ping" you get from a steel or ivory jointed cue with an ivory ferruled shaft and a hard tip.

RAMIII

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No I don't think you can replicate ivory ferrule and hard tip, the ivory and maple are unique in their resonance, but the Mezz ignite is the closest I've found this far. I do wonder what the sound would be like without the foam inside....

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would like to hear any new thought folks have on the Mezz Ignite / Revo 12.4 or the Mezz ex shaft??

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would like to hear any new thought folks have on the Mezz Ignite / Revo 12.4 or the Mezz ex shaft??

They are all good, pick one that works for the individual player. Revo probably has the most actual CF feel with the lowest deflection vs just a wood feeling shaft made of CF. Mezz Ex I played with, liked it. But not sure it has anything special that 3-4 other shafts don't do as good. I would get a Predator Z shaft for the cost difference.