Pleasures Of Small Motions

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's a good book that will help you understand a lot of "under the hood" stuff as to what makes us tick as pool players.

Lou Figueroa

I'm circumcised. I do think this psychology stuff has limited practicality though. I believe it comes down to skill and headroom thereof.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
ah well, now you are changing

I think it’s about doing your best, not just “well”.

pj
chgo

Now you are changing what you said you got from it. PJ may not compete at pool but he certainly competes at posting! :D

The second section of Pleasure in particular seems focused on people settling for doing something well without striving to be the best even for a given day or event. When we compete in a pool tournament there is one winner and a whole bunch of losers. If you are content being a loser that played well you will never be a winner. The winner will come from a small group of people who not only play well but have a fire in their gut to win.

Hu

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
...the important thing: how well you're playing.
Our area of disagreement is whether just doing well is enough.
I think it’s about doing your best, not just “well”.
Now you are changing what you said you got from it.
"How well" doesn't mean "just well".
PJ may not compete at pool but he certainly competes at posting! :D
First I've heard posting is a competition...

pj
chgo

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
TMI ( fails to see the relevance) ��
It was a play on the word "hood". If you hadn't noticed yet, "straightline" tends to talk crooked/convoluted.

As for the OP, I found PoSM to be helpful in several ways and far better than most pool authors who wander off into psychology. Like the ones who claim to be zen masters but tell you to do lots of scummy, unzenish things to screw with your opponent's mind and maybe cheat as much as you can.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Main point of book is focus on process and not on outcome.
That's a main point of Pleasures of Small Motions too (hence the name) - and I think it increases the likelihood of good outcomes. I don't think it means to put less effort into winning - just to focus the effort where it does the most good: on your shot-by-shot performance.

pj
chgo

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was a play on the word "hood". If you hadn't noticed yet, "straightline" tends to talk crooked/convoluted.

As for the OP, I found PoSM to be helpful in several ways and far better than most pool authors who wander off into psychology. Like the ones who claim to be zen masters but tell you to do lots of scummy, unzenish things to screw with your opponent's mind and maybe cheat as much as you can.

Thanks for the assist I think. I'm right brained but artificially right handed. (good parenting and crowded classrooms) Straightline is just a reference to pool. Sure there's comedic potential but wutevuh... A straight line might be THE fundamental of pool and everyone should train themselves to recognize one.

(lol)

Don't read much and certainly not PoSM (lol again) In fact and prolly not surprisingly, I dozent reed motch and eschew (hope this is the correct word) the psych genre. Monk, The inner game..., Zen and the art... blah blah, all ignored based on the title. I do the pool I can and other than pushing towards refinement, that's the extent of my interest.

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The one thing I got out of Pleasures of Small Motions:

Don't look at a match like you would a "final exam". If you do, and you lose, you will be beating yourself up over the failure.

Of course you will work very hard to win, but look at each match as building your experience at competition. Every time you expose yourself to competition, you will get better at it. If you do lose, you gained experience, and with that frame of mine you can go practice your weak areas.