Did anyone watch the Florian ESPN Trickshot?

bignick31985

Life Long Learner
Silver Member
I don't want this to come off wrong, but I think that Florian's shots were not replicated in their deserved respect by Andy Segal.

The shot that comes to mine instantly is the one where he had to masse around the triangle rack, then again strike the ball and masse back around the rack to pocket the ball.

Florian did the downward, powerful looking masse on both strokes. However, Andy didnt. He sorta squirted the ball around the tip of the rack and waited until it almost stopped rolling to strike it again.

What's the ruling on replicating shots in trickshot magic??? I was just a little disappointed with the manner some of the shots of were replicated.

And that is not to take anything from Segal's ability. He's nasty good at what he does, but I was surprised when I watched is all. Wondered if anyone else noticed it and had some input on why.

Baxter

Out To Win
Silver Member
Florian just needs to be more specific in his shot stipulations. If he would have said that your foot couldn't touch the top of the rail (on the one-leg jump shots), or that the cue ball could not touch any rail on the first masse, but could touch the rail near the pocket on the second masse, Andy wouldn't have gotten those two points and Florian might have won. Live and learn.

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
ESPN Trick Shots

I have heard that Andy Segal has gotten himself into a 'position' that he is part of the shot selection process (or has influence on the process). They have a lot of control over the show. I agree with the previous poster.

They are making it so a person with small hands cannot hold all the sticks for some of those 'goofy' jump shots.

They are letting the trick shot program get ruined. With bouncing balls and swinging triangles.

I predict Florian will beat them to a drum if everyone gets the same opportunity.

Ask any of the other guys that have been around - they also don't like the direction. (Massey, Pellinga, Rossman etc).

Mark Griffin

PS Getting back to OP - you are right - Segal did not even come close to replicating the shot.

Last edited:

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
If ya can't beat them fair...cheat. No one around can beat this kid right now, and that is their problem. Johnnyt

sk8ordie

HTTR!
Silver Member
Andy Segal has gotten himself into a position that he is part of the shot selection process. They have a lot of control over the show AND Segal has been known to work together with other shooters to manipulate the whole shot selection process.

They threw out several of Florian's shots - yet allowed Segal and his bouncing ball and swinging triangle stuff. They are making it so a person with small hands cannot hold all the sticks for some of those 'goofy' jump shots.

They are letting the trick shot program get ruined. Check out the group "Segal, Bruce Bartholette, and Jamie Gray". It is like tag team wrestling.

I predict Florian will beat them to a drum if everyone gets the same opportunity.

Ask any of the other guys that have been around - they also don't like the direction. (Massey, Pellinga, Rossman etc).

Mark Griffin

PS Getting back to OP - you are right - Segal did not even come close to replicating the shot. Also, the "group" basically tried to make it difficult for Florian to practice and get used to the table - (which would wiggle when leaned on-it is not very solid). Some people will do anything in the name of competition!

I agree 100% with your statement. Florian should've said your foot couldn't rest on the rail and the other shot, you can't let the cue ball touch another rail, before he did his shots. Andy Segal knew what he was doing and took full advantage of the new guy. I love doing trick shots and to me Andy Segal is boring with his cookie cutter trick shots. I miss Massey & Rossman. Adding Florian to the program made me excited untill I seen what they did to him. Andy Segal is lame and does the same shots for 3 years now, boring. IMHO. Ron

hangemhigh

Known Sinner
Silver Member
I wasn't aware of this back-story, but it was obvious to me that Florian's competition was of a far less calibre.

1hit1der

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Florian just needs to be more specific in his shot stipulations. If he would have said that your foot couldn't touch the top of the rail (on the one-leg jump shots), or that the cue ball could not touch any rail on the first masse, but could touch the rail near the pocket on the second masse, Andy wouldn't have gotten those two points and Florian might have won. Live and learn.

Exactly. The shots are submitted well in advance, so all the parameters are known before the tournament. In fact, on the masse shot, Florian specifically said that the cue ball could hit the side rail.