First Quality Cue

Cliffs at bottom:

I've been doing lots of research and finally hit a brick wall. I'm between a Predator with a 314^2 or a McDurmott with an i2 shaft. That said, I'm around the 500-800 price range after I hopefully find a decent deal. Going to throw out pro/cons of both. I'd really like to have a radial joint, but unless I can get it direct with that joint, it's not happening. I don't want to immediately modify the stick for a different joint.

McDurmott -
+Love the lifetime warranty. I've read nothing but great things about their customer service.
- I hate that I can only get the "McDurmott Quick Release" joint. To me putting a proprietary joint on a top of the line $800 pool cue is absolute BS. I'm hoping this can be changed out from the factory. If I ever want a new shaft in the future I'll be limited to McDurmott shafts only. Where other joints are supported pretty much across the board.

Predator -
+ Butt Extension to make cue longer. Don't know that I'd buy it or ever use it, but it's a nice feature.
- Prefer not to have the UniLock

As of right now I feel the Predator 8k is the way to go. I'm looking for other suggestions from a community that discusses and plays top tier cues.

Cliffs - Want to buy McDurmott. Hate that they use a proprietary joint. Want top quality low deflection shaft. Can McDurmott change the joint; if not what are other options on the market.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Cliffs at bottom:

I've been doing lots of research and finally hit a brick wall. I'm between a Predator with a 314^2 or a McDurmott with an i2 shaft. That said, I'm around the 500-800 price range after I hopefully find a decent deal. Going to throw out pro/cons of both. I'd really like to have a radial joint, but unless I can get it direct with that joint, it's not happening. I don't want to immediately modify the stick for a different joint.

McDurmott -
+Love the lifetime warranty. I've read nothing but great things about their customer service.
- I hate that I can only get the "McDurmott Quick Release" joint. To me putting a proprietary joint on a top of the line $800 pool cue is absolute BS. I'm hoping this can be changed out from the factory. If I ever want a new shaft in the future I'll be limited to McDurmott shafts only. Where other joints are supported pretty much across the board.

Predator -
+ Butt Extension to make cue longer. Don't know that I'd buy it or ever use it, but it's a nice feature.
- Prefer not to have the UniLock

As of right now I feel the Predator 8k is the way to go. I'm looking for other suggestions from a community that discusses and plays top tier cues.

Cliffs - Want to buy McDurmott. Hate that they use a proprietary joint. Want top quality low deflection shaft. Can McDurmott change the joint; if not what are other options on the market.

Buy a nice used custom cue for 400 with a 3/8x10 pin to try out. Resell for 400 if you don't like it. Rinse and repeat.

Wolven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Checkout Predator Roadline LE4 and LE3 the pin is unilock radial, better choice than unilock perhaps.
Get a cue from a store that allows returns, if you hate the cue you will be out shipping only.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Checkout Predator Roadline LE4 and LE3 the pin is unilock radial, better choice than unilock perhaps.
Get a cue from a store that allows returns, if you hate the cue you will be out shipping only.

They look like re-do's of the LE 2, but that LE 4 is sharp looking. You really can't go wrong with those. Very nice cues.

Wolven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They look like re-do's of the LE 2, but that LE 4 is sharp looking. You really can't go wrong with those. Very nice cues.

Yeah, they do.
I want LE4, but so far only seen LE3 in a Eurpean store and EBay. Actually, I have now seen LE4 in a Euro store too.
Also, I'm thinking there could be new generation of 314 coming out.

Last edited:

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Yeah, they do.
I want LE4, but so far only seen LE3 in a Eurpean store and EBay. Actually, I have now seen LE4 in a Euro store too.
Also, I'm thinking there could be new generation of 314 coming out.

https://www.billiards.com/pool-cues/predator-roadline-le-4

It says in stock.
I have never purchased from or dealt with these folks before. The contact us says they're in portland oregon.
Maybe some other of us have some first hand knowledge of these guys

Last edited:

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Buy a nice used custom cue for 400 with a 3/8x10 pin to try out. Resell for 400 if you don't like it. Rinse and repeat.

-

I agree. There are many to be had for much less and a new McDermott and hit much better.

Rob.M

Rockin' Robin

Mr. Texas Express
Silver Member
There are plenty of McDermotts in your price range that have a 3/8-10 joint....and if you see a model that comes with the quick release joint, they can change it to the 3/8 joint for a nominal fee.

bhanson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If your have up to 800 to spend, I highly advise going the custom route. A lot can be had on the used market for that much. You can even get one made new to your specs from some makers for that. And if you want to go LD still, you can get an LD shaft matched and be in the same boat. Plus, the resale value on most production cues are very low. So if you might want to flip it to try something new in the future, I'd go custom for sure.

https://www.billiards.com/pool-cues/predator-roadline-le-4

It says in stock.
I have never purchased from or dealt with these folks before. The contact us says they're in portland oregon.
Maybe some other of us have some first hand knowledge of these guys

I think it's funny 3 have mentioned the Le4. That is probably my favorite looking cue so far, and exactly what I'm looking for. Only thing about it is not very many places are selling it and I think 630 is a little steep for it. I'd like to be around 500 for that cue if possible.

abs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know several have suggested getting a custom cue, but I'd like to say there is nothing wrong with dropping the money down on a quality production cue, it could certainly make your life easier and you can have a perfectly awesome cue. Predator makes great cues (So does Schon, Mezz, OB, and a few others). McDermott from my limited experience with the brand is fine, but I personally feel a Predator hits much better.

A lot of guys on here feel that Predator charges too much for their cues, and you should go with a custom for that price, or that if you spend over a certain amount of money you should be looking at customs. That arguable... Going the custom route does not assure you a better cue or buying experience... AZB s full of anecdotes of grief from guys who have ordered custom cues, even from well known builders, and had nothing but grief... Grief in either getting their cue, the quality of their cue, or not being happy with the feel of their cue. Some of those experiences are the cue-makers fault, some the customers, and some both.

If you do go the true custom cue route, you'll have to do your research and find a reputable cue builder. You'll have to get recommendations, but also do your own research to see if you can find any broader information or reviews on a builders past work. Figure out the cue you want built, order one, hopefully get a commitment on the delivery date, and then sit on your hands and wait it out... Hoping everything goes well. Or you could go buy a custom that's made already, but then you're not really getting a custom cue to your specs, but rather somebody else's custom cue.

Also, with a custom, unless you can find somebody who has a similar cue from the cue-maker, you won't have the ability to test the cue to see if you like it... And good luck returning it if you don't like it. It's much easier to test a production cue, as number of the online pool vendors have a return policy that allows you to get your money back if you don't like the cue (assuming you don't have a local vendor).

I'm not trying to bash custom cues, just point out that there are generally some trade-offs. There are some really nice customs out there from good reputable cue makers who would love your business. There are just certain conveniences in purchasing a production cue, and there are some really nice production cues available that are also worth your while.

Personally, I'd love to have a Tom Coker custom cue, but I'd also be glad to have a Predator P3... Yet I'm super happy with my OB cue as well and I'll stick with it for quite a while... Giving it up would be like losing my right arm.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
McDurmott has never made a bad cue and the pay great attention to detail with the shafts, its a quality product.

You could do well by going to a tournament that has a cue vender set up so that you could try a few cues before you buy.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
I think it's funny 3 have mentioned the Le4. That is probably my favorite looking cue so far, and exactly what I'm looking for. Only thing about it is not very many places are selling it and I think 630 is a little steep for it. I'd like to be around 500 for that cue if possible.

I think in the end any cue is worth what you're willing to pay for it. Personally, I think 630 is fairly reasonable for that cue and about what I'd be prepared to spend on it. I would look for a better price, but 630 is about what I might expect. It was that way when I got my LE 2, I finally wound up spending a little more than I had counted on (after 2 years). A word or warning about those, if they are numbered you will soon lose the option of finding a new, unplayed one. In my case, I was determined that I was going to own one, but it was purely by chance that I found a new, unchalked LE2 when I did, and it did cost me a little more. As the LE 4's become "rare" you can expect the price to go up. If new or used or model really isn't a concern and a predator is your objective, I'm sure you will find some really nice options with your choice if accessories at pretty reasonable prices.
As far as the McDermott goes, I own a couple of them, either Predator or McDermott, you have many options, both are excellent choices.

Nuts4Tascarellas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
suggestion

I would suggest a used Coker custom cue. Great hit - resell it if you don't like it. I have seen a few on here lately. Do a search on the for sale forum. I have one - love it!

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
I agree with others on custom cues for the same price range. If I insisted on a production cue, I would check the forum for a previously owned copy.

Wolven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You should listen to abs, custom cues are a risk. Huge variation in quality, if you don't like it, well that's just too bad. You will not get your money back if you try to sell it. 2nd hand cues, are often the duds, why sell a perfect player cue.