Joss Cue - What do you think about them

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello ,

Joss Cue's has been around since 1968 , They have been building cues for several years now and after many years being away from the game and starting to get back into it wondered what the consensus was on the Joss brand. I had one about 20 years ago and liked it . It seem to play really we'll. I have spoken with Mr Janes and he seems like a really nice guy. Our area of the day was really big in Meucci and a lot of players around here really liked them, We had 5 pool halls at one time many years ago . I have been looking at the Joss cue line and wanted to get some opinion's on them and how well they play and do you think they are worth the price of admission. I have been eyeing the Color of Money cue for sometime as I like the look of it. But is it worth the price. I do not have one around to play and would have to order it , just hoped for some feedback . Thanks

JAlan

Gerbil Jeff
Silver Member
I myself have always thought Joss made a very nice cue. Always seemed well constructed, very nice quality. But for some reason they just have never appealed to me that much.

I'm not sure if it's something aesthetic or what, but I've just never owned a Joss that I really loved and I've had at least 5 or 6 over the years. Again, with that said I do think they are very well made cues and I have 100% respect for them.

Keep in mind I'm talking about Joss, not Josswest. On the Josswest end, I've had one merry widow over the years and absolutely loved that thing, one of those that I wish I had never let go.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dan &Co. make very nice cues. Has a line of standard stuff or will make you a nice one-off custom. Dane Janes is a helluva nice guy to boot.

Whodini

Never get out of the boat
Recommend

I've been shooting with a Joss sneaky (ebony handle) for 15-plus years.I also have several other cues I've purchased since I've owned that Joss. I have an expensive Diveney that never leaves the house because my Joss has a much better "feel" to it. Everyone who hits that Joss agrees. But, when you order your new cue, make sure you get the nylon insert in the shaft that will accept the threads of the pin...not the brass insert. The nylon insert hits much better and will give the cue a world-class feel. The brass insert gives it a more crisp hit but, in my experience, does not allow for the amount of feedback the nylon insert does. Some people may call it a G-10 insert but I don't really know what the material is. What I do know is that the cue hits a ton and still looks good given the amount of miles it has traveled. Best $300 I've ever spent on pool.

Cadillac J

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I own one Joss cue (JOS44), and I absolutely love it...usually play with the traditional maple shaft it came with, but will sometimes throw on a 30" OB-1 to mess around.

Would not sell this for anything. It has very grippy irish linen compared to my Mezz' and other cues.

GFnbFYul.jpg

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
You should find a used one, not a new one. Much better value. Can get it cleaned up to be like new if that is the concern.

NINEBALLART

NINEBALLART
Silver Member
I've owned 4 Joss cues..Two custom made by Dan and two from regular stock...I owned the very one Cadillac J is showing....I've loved all four for the hit...

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They have a new low deflection shaft, that would be the only thing that matters, the rest is just looks (Joss does make a nice looking cue.)

Cadillac J

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've owned 4 Joss cues...I owned the very one Cadillac J is showing....I've loved all four for the hit.

You have great taste my man :thumbup:

Been going back and forth about getting a new cue this past week--which I don't need, so really shouldn't--but if I do, it will be a Joss, Pechauer or Meucci in the sub-$500 range.

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think they are an extremely good cue. I have had 3 and all were excellent cues, medium stiff and solid. Dan Janes is awesome to deal with. Joss gets grief because Dan and his son make a lot of cues, which put Joss into the "production cue" category but I am not sure it is warranted as they are still built the same way, just a bunch of the same design.

Dan made me a true custom I couple years ago that I cherish. The design was up to him and all I chose was for him to use some cocobolo that he has just received that was exceptional. Cue was built right no time, workmanship is exceptional and it hits great.

Here is a pic. Getting a Joss is a solid decision.

Attachments

• IMG_20171214_143626.jpg
    IMG_20171214_143626.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 601

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Dan may be the most unappreciated great cue-maker in America.
Just think of how many other great cue-makers worked with him at Joss.

It would be truly sweet to own a Joss & Josswest cues to go with my TS.
Naturally they’d need to have flat ivory joints & not too many Joss cues do.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
They are a solid, respectable cue. The early Joss Cues were amazing, beautiful work. I've never liked the Dan Janes rounded point, rounded inlay versions. They obviously went the semi-production route ala Schon and that entails making decisions to increase production. I don't know that any shop has out produced Joss over the years except for full blown mass production lines.

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They are a solid, respectable cue. The early Joss Cues were amazing, beautiful work. I've never liked the Dan Janes rounded point, rounded inlay versions. They obviously went the semi-production route ala Schon and that entails making decisions to increase production. I don't know that any shop has out produced Joss over the years except for full blown mass production lines.

The customs they make have beautiful pointy points. Your statement is a bit of a dis-service to Dan.

brilliance

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hi

I resold several, every one hits different. I would rather buy Mezz or get custom cue.

Last edited: