8 Ball Analyze: Rack #1

mohrt

Student of the Game
Silver Member
First thing I would do is get those pesky white bugs off of the table. They are making me see things.

LOL the reinforcers actually help see how the balls lay on this perspective view IMHO, so I left them there :)

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Shoot the six, play for shape to shoot the 2 ball Safe and leave em frozen to the nine and give em the table back. Try and utilize the 13 ball to bank off bottom rail and free up the five ball on the long rail.

mohrt

Student of the Game
Silver Member
That's what I would do too. Easiest way to open up the table early and set up the run.

Exactly.

a) dead bank
b) if you miss, you haven't opened the table for your opponent

My only other option would be to shoot the 6 first if you don't feel 100% confident on the 5.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's what I would do too. Easiest way to open up the table early and set up the run.

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I like it. I prefer banking the 5 over playing the window between the 11/14 and shooting the 5 in the upper right corner. The only concern by going this route is getting position on the 4 from the 2. Ideally, you'll want to have a small angle on the 4 so you don't run into the 10.

Big Fish

Registered
Bank the 5 in the side with a little draw and try and get a better angle to cut the 6 in the side and fall on the 3 roll the 3 in an try to get fairly straight on the 4 ,shoot the 4 past the 2 in the corner and try an fall on the 1 , shoot the 1 bounce of the rail shoot the 4, play the 8 in the side.

mohrt

Student of the Game
Silver Member
Bank the 5 in the side with a little draw and try and get a better angle to cut the 6 in the side and fall on the 3 roll the 3 in an try to get fairly straight on the 4 ,shoot the 4 past the 2 in the corner and try an fall on the 1 , shoot the 1 bounce of the rail shoot the 4, play the 8 in the side.

You have the 2 and 4 flipped around, but yeah that is the play.

DaJokerz

Registered
Just curious. Do you find it distraction to shoot with all those dots on there? I usually on have a couple and its to shoot the same shot with different english to see the effects. I thought about setting them up for drills, but it looks so busy.... I need tournament blue dots!

mohrt

Student of the Game
Silver Member
Just curious. Do you find it distraction to shoot with all those dots on there? I usually on have a couple and its to shoot the same shot with different english to see the effects. I thought about setting them up for drills, but it looks so busy.... I need tournament blue dots!

Doesn't bother me a bit.

nahog99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Depends how I'm shooting, but if this is a big game I personally would shoot the 6 all the way up past the four with mostly bottom and a touch of right, making sure to not get below the 3 ball. Then i shoot the 3 in the corner leaving for the two all the way up past the four. Follow the two up a little and then take the bank on the five cross side. I like taking the bank at this point because now even if I'm not perfect on it i can smash it cross side and the chances of me not being able to see the 4 are pretty slim. Taking the bank to start, even though its dead, to me is a little to risky because I might get hooked or have a bad angle to eventually get to that 2 ball. So anyway take the bank now, make sure you make it and don't get hooked then depending on the angle ill either stun off the four or run into the ten to get it out of my way, then one in the corner, and either 8 in the side or same corner as the 4.

Edit: I also thought about playing a safe off the 5 but i think that leaves them much too easy of a retaliation safe.

stljohnny

knowledge > execution. :(
Silver Member
What about cutting the 3 and nudging the 2 out a little? 6 is the insurance ball and from there all the other plans are pretty much the same.

I like starting with the bank on the 5 though, then maybe using the 6 to get to the 3 ... but then position is absolutely critical on the 2 ... no more or less so if you started with the 3, nudge the 2 and then you'll still likely having a shot on the 6 (or the 2) to play shape for the bank on the 5 later.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What about cutting the 3 and nudging the 2 out a little? 6 is the insurance ball and from there all the other plans are pretty much the same.

I like starting with the bank on the 5 though, then maybe using the 6 to get to the 3 ... but then position is absolutely critical on the 2 ... no more or less so if you started with the 3, nudge the 2 and then you'll still likely having a shot on the 6 (or the 2) to play shape for the bank on the 5 later.

The only reason why I wouldn't want to nudge the 2 is that there's no great benefit to doing that. The 2 can go in the bottom right corner, you just have to get a small angle on the 3 to keep the cueball below it. That's why I like making the 6 first and then banking the 5. This way, the 6 creates a manageable angle for the bank that allows the cue-ball to drift into the 11 which is exactly the angle you need on the 3 to get you on the 2.

stljohnny

knowledge > execution. :(
Silver Member
The only reason why I wouldn't want to nudge the 2 is that there's no great benefit to doing that. The 2 can go in the bottom right corner, you just have to get a small angle on the 3 to keep the cueball below it. That's why I like making the 6 first and then banking the 5. This way, the 6 creates a manageable angle for the bank that allows the cue-ball to drift into the 11 which is exactly the angle you need on the 3 to get you on the 2.

I generally dont like moving balls, but for a ball that has only one pocket, you're betting the game on getting perfect position to a) make it and b) get position after that on the next one. I'd probably take the risk of nudging towards the center of the table; but then 8-ball really isn't my best game, so... *shrug* :p

Either way, this isn't an easy out.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I generally dont like moving balls, but for a ball that has only one pocket, you're betting the game on getting perfect position to a) make it and b) get position after that on the next one. I'd probably take the risk of nudging towards the center of the table; but then 8-ball really isn't my best game, so... *shrug* :p

Either way, this isn't an easy out.

Honestly, I don't think there is any way you can pocket the 2, 3 and 5 without betting the whole game on one of those shots. I using the 11 for position because I'm confident I can control how I run into the 11 and I think that will leave me a favorable angle on the 3 but you're right. I'm selling-out if something goes wrong.

With that said, knowing the 10 doesn't pass the 4, I can say with absolute certainty that no matter how the 2, 3 and 5 are addressed, pocketing these three balls before shooting the 4 is the only correct answer. How you choose to go about the 2, 3 and 5 should be dictated by personal preference.