Why are age and gender factors?

skipbales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can ask Earl or Efren on the effects of aging on their pool skills. Efren supposedly said he wouldn't be able to beat the old Efren.

Earl is in his mid 50's and trying to make a living the only way he knows how, by playing pool professionally. Folks here make fun of his cues and the other crutches he wears (weights, headphones, finger splints) rather than look past superficially.

I watched Earl in a match from a few ears ago. He didn't seem to care at all if he won or not. He was soooo good for so long I think he just can not get the fire back. Tiger Woods seems to have the same issue. Marvin Hagler said "it is hard to get up and run in the morning when you are sleeping in silk pajamas". Tiger's problem but not Earl's.

skipbales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you serious?????

Age AND gender play a huge factor, huge!

Need proof? Put top female pro up against SVB in 10 ball and see how she does.

Or.....

Put the best player you can find in their 70s up against SVB in 10 ball or Dennis O in 1hole.

Snip..........

Rake

Of course. The question is not if it is why?

skipbales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But whats the point where it starts to matter and with what person. This is the first time in history where the age factor will be tested, the gap has already been reduced.

Efren at 60+ can still beat ANYBODY on a given day at any game. Busty is in the conversation as the best all around player in the world and can play even with any of the younger pro's.

So will the best of the best at 70 still be able to play with the pro's that are in there 20's or 30's going forward? That hasn't been the case traditionally, but tradition is changing fast!

Efren just played CJ Wiley on his way home for his "retirement tour". I wonder how much is just plain ENERGY. It manifests itself in "give a damn" but also in endurance. You might be able to get hyped up for a short time but the drive of youth may be a bigger factor even than eyesight. I am not sure and that is why I was asking. I know a lot more about pool than even 6 years ago when I resumed playing but my stats are about the same, no real improvement and I practice a LOT. Trying to out run the grim reaper.

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Some years ago in a similar thread I think Mike Page gave the most likely answer to why men dominate pool: because so many more of them play it. His analogy was something like this... if you had to bet on the best player on a random continent vs. the best player in a random city, which would you choose sight unseen? I'd go with the larger talent pool.

pj
chgo

The talent pool in Taiwan is not even the size of Los Angeles county .

Men are just more ruthless than women . Never mind the strength and endurance.

As far as age, never mind the eyes and the nerves that get affected by age, older players have a lot of battle wounds . Keith said they get to you .

Klink

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The talent pool in Taiwan is not even the size of Los Angeles county .

Men are just more ruthless than women . Never mind the strength and endurance.

As far as age, never mind the eyes and the nerves that get affected by age, older players have a lot of battle wounds . Keith said they get to you .
I must always meet the wrong women. Woman are more ruthless by far.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk