Sky vs Earl..Score after Day 2?

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But, he lost to Parica ?

I really wonder though how Early would have done against the really good players today on Diamonds with tight pockets.

i don't think tight pockets would've been his achilles heel, he has shown that he can handle tight pockets. i would argue that the best players today have a better rounded game than most players of yesteryears. the breaking, the kicking, the jumping, the safeties (partly of course because of the jumping), shotmaking, staying down on the shot, etc. but very few have anything even resembling the raw talent that earl had.

if he was 20 years younger, mentally healthier, and adapted to the new ways of breaking and jumping he would be able to beat anyone in the top ranks imo. to me he is still the best 9-ball player ever

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How soon you guys forget how strong Earl played at Turning stone. Ran over Shaw and beat SVB soundly. He lost to SVB in the finals on a roll 11 to 13.

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
i don't think tight pockets would've been his achilles heel, he has shown that he can handle tight pockets. i would argue that the best players today have a better rounded game than most players of yesteryears. the breaking, the kicking, the jumping, the safeties (partly of course because of the jumping), shotmaking, staying down on the shot, etc. but very few have anything even resembling the raw talent that earl had.

if he was 20 years younger, mentally healthier, and adapted to the new ways of breaking and jumping he would be able to beat anyone in the top ranks imo. to me he is still the best 9-ball player ever

If ANYONE was 20 years younger, was mentally healthier, and adapted to new equipment and stayed on kicking and jumping.... they'd be great pool players. Facts are, Earl isn't any of those things.

Make no mistake though, Earl was and will always be one of the BEST. Somehow he still gives the world the 7, he's a damn legend.

shasta777

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl was a great money player before he ever played in tournaments. He was playing jam up at age 19! That Earl would have wiped the floor with today's Sky. But he is long gone.

Jay you are correct.... Earl & another guy (Jimmy Matz from PA...) who played lights out were 2 of the BEST money players ever to pick up a pool cue....
in their prime NO one could stay with them.... & YES both are now long gone!! Anyone who seen them both play were amazed!! To bad there wasn't video
like they have today....

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

Nice post that is generally valid.

I made the point earlier about the breaking in Post #12, so we're together on that.

Agreed that tight pockets would have never slowed Earl down, and they may have even increased his advantage.

Excepting the play of the Filipinos, I'm not sure defensive play has evolved that much over the past twenty five years, and I think Earl would have held his own when it came to playing safe.

The jump cue really wasn't yet in vogue yet twenty five years ago, and back then, very few carried one. Earl was as good a full-cue jumper as there was (Sammy Jones and Johnny Archer are certainly in the conversation) in the game, so it's hard not to view Earl as less than elite jumper, That said, though, Earl is not elite with the jump cue like Albin Ouschan or Ko Pin-Yi). Perhaps he'd have been if the jump cue had been in wide use in his formative years.

That said, I am in 100% agreement about the kicking. The billiard knowledge of today's players is, on average, far beyond what we saw twenty five years ago. This is in part because the gradual adoption of Texas Express rules demanded the development of superior kicking skills. By today's standards, Earl in his prime was not an outstanding kicker.

There are far more great shot makers today than twenty five year ago, so I'm on board with you there.

In general, I agree with your excellent post.

PS As an afterthought, don't sell the last generation short. We have never seen a better pattern player than Buddy Hall, and one must wonder whether we ever will.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nice post that is generally valid.

I made the point earlier about the breaking in Post #12, so we're together on that.

Agreed that tight pockets would have never slowed Earl down, and they may have even increased his advantage.

Excepting the play of the Filipinos, I'm not sure defensive play has evolved that much over the past twenty five years, and I think Earl would have held his own when it came to playing safe.

The jump cue really wasn't yet in vogue yet twenty five years ago, and back then, very few carried one. Earl was as good a full-cue jumper as there was (Sammy Jones and Johnny Archer are certainly in the conversation) in the game, so it's hard not to view Earl as less than elite jumper, That said, though, Earl is not elite with the jump cue like Albin Ouschan or Ko Pin-Yi). Perhaps he'd have been if the jump cue had been in wide use in his formative years.

That said, I am in 100% agreement about the kicking. The billiard knowledge of today's players is, on average, far beyond what we saw twenty five years ago. This is in part because the gradual adoption of Texas Express rules demanded the development of superior kicking skills. By today's standards, Earl in his prime was not an outstanding kicker.

There are far more great shot makers today than twenty five year ago, so I'm on board with you there.

In general, I agree with your excellent post.

PS As an afterthought, don't sell the last generation short. We have never seen a better pattern player than Buddy Hall, and one must wonder whether we ever will.

Good post Stu. The way Earl played back then he never had to worry much about defense. He just needed a shot! One open shot and he was off to the races. He was a generation ahead when it came to 9-Ball. Having a 7-3 lead on Earl was not safe going to eleven. He might run the set out on you! I watched him play a million times and he would regularly string six or seven racks in nearly every match he played. A five rack run was a below average match for him.

I always said that if everyone played at their top speed back then, Earl was one speed above the field! And I'm including Buddy, Sigel, Varner and all the rest in that statement. NO ONE strung racks like Earl and made it look so easy. He moved that cue ball around like he had it on a string. Absolutely the all time best tournament 9-Ball player I ever saw. That said, playing Ten Ball for the cash and he couldn't beat little Jose.

Earl made 9-Ball on a big table look like he was playing on a bar table! I could never say that about anyone else.

cycopath

Call me Banger.
Silver Member
I remember Earl saying “he accomplished all his titles playing with a Cue-tec, and what if he’d had a good pool cue? How much more would he had won?”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I remember Earl saying “he accomplished all his titles playing with a Cue-tec, and what if he’d had a good pool cue? How much more would he had won?”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baloney! He won many tournaments with a Meucci before Cue-Tec came along. Of course Bob Meucci made a very nice cue back then.

warfdiesel

Getting Better
Silver Member
What those who didn't see Earl in his prime missed is that he didn't just mass produce titles, but usually won them undefeated. The other thing worth noting is how often Earl used to crush really top opponents like Sigel, Archer, Reyes, Hall, Rempe and Varner. Of course, they beat him, too, but Earl would so often hang an 11-2 set on them that it was almost ridiculous.

My first reaction is that Earl would be way to much for Skyler as he shoots today, but there's one factor that's hard to account for, specifically that much less was known about the nine ball break back then, but if we ignore that, Earl in his prime beats Skyler in his prime very easily.

Sky isn’t in his prime yet. I think we may see huge things from him soon. However, I agree with most, that Earl in his prime smashes Sky today. And most everyone else.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Baloney! He won many tournaments with a Meucci before Cue-Tec came along. Of course Bob Meucci made a very nice cue back then.

I'll go a step further. Almost all of Earl's major titles came before his switch to Cuetec in, I'm guessing, 1999. I do believe, though, that his stellar effort at the 2002 World Nine Ball Championships, among the very finest performances of his entire career, was with a Cuetec, but I'm not certain of it.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I heard Earl say that until Efren came along, he never even thought about playing safe on a kick-he just tried to "hit" the ball.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I heard Earl say that until Efren came along, he never even thought about playing safe on a kick-he just tried to "hit" the ball.

Efren taught the American players how to hit the bottom of the ball and play safe on kick shots. They just weren't doing that until he came along. He revolutionized the way we had played 9-Ball up until that point. Efren was two speeds above all our top players when he first arrived here. After maybe a year of watching carefully how he played they had caught up with him though. All the top players used to sit and watch Efren play his matches and study his game.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pretty much the same for most players back then. ER raised kicking to an art-form.