Top 10 SHOTS from Famous POOL MOVIES

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI, I just posted a new video that demonstrates and explains the Top 10 shots from famous pool movies that every pool player should know:

The shots covered (with linked time-stamps) include:

1. “The Hustler” – 8-ball frozen bank off the rail [0:13]
2. “The Hustler” – Illegal 9 with exaggerated follow-through [0:56]
3. “The Hustler” – Carom kick into wired combo [1:32]
4. “The Hustler” – Carom massé draw shot [2:00]
5. “The Color of Money” – Frozen bank with corner rattle [3:51]
6. “The Color of Money” – Frozen kick off the rail [5:11]
7. “Pool Hall Junkies” – Frozen carom kick timing shot [5:45]
8. “Pool Hall Junkies” – Double ticky shot [6:16]
9. “Pool Hall Junkies” – Kick off pocket point [6:36]
10. “Pool Hall Junkies” – Jump off cushion nose over obstacles [6:56]
BONUS. “The Baron and the Kid” – Cushion compression reverse kick into a wired combo [7:21]
Collage of all 10 shots with music [8:26]

Please check it out and let me know what you think. As always, I look forward to your feedback, comments, questions, complaints, and requests.

Enjoy,
Dave

Last edited:

fab944

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks Dr. Dave. They were great to watch in slow motion.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI, my university's web servers are currently down, so my NV video link below is currently not working. I've added a direct link to the YouTube video so people can still access and view the video.

Enjoy,
Dave

FYI, I just posted a new video that demonstrates and explains the Top 10 shots from famous pool movies that every pool player should know:

BONUS. “The Baron and the Kid” – Cushion compression reverse kick into a wired combo [7:21]

Please check it out and let me know what you think. As always, I look forward to your feedback, comments, questions, complaints, and requests.

Enjoy,
Dave

Last edited:

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great video however, Johnny wouldn't appreciate you calling his Award Nominee Cult Classic Blockbuster hit a Not so famous and not so good movie!!:thumbup:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Enjoy,
Dave
Thanks Dave. It looks like corona-boredom is hitting you too. If you post "Top 10 moments pool was in an ad of any kind anywhere" i'm gonna start worrying. ;)

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lots of good "trick" shots well within the range of most players.

The "rattle in the corner" shot looks hard even once you find the right spots, like not even one in three.

For the PHJ time-kick-carom shot, I like to put the balls two diamonds from the side. It turns out that the aiming point on the far side rail (edge of the pocket liner as I recall) changes very little with ball positions. Adjust the aiming point to control the timing and the side spin on the cue ball to get the kick right. Using fast speed keeps the timing controlled and is more impressive.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Great video however, Johnny wouldn't appreciate you calling his Award Nominee Cult Classic Blockbuster hit a Not so famous and not so good movie!!:thumbup:
Maybe that was a bit strong (even if honest, in comparison to "The Hustler" and "The Color of Money" that were awesome).

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks Dave. It looks like corona-boredom is hitting you too. If you post "Top 10 moments pool was in an ad of any kind anywhere" i'm gonna start worrying. ;)
Don't worry. I have no such plans. Although, that Matthew McConaughey Lincoln commercial shot is tempting me in my weak cooped-up-at-home state. :eek: :grin-square:

Catch you later,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lots of good "trick" shots well within the range of most players.

The "rattle in the corner" shot looks hard even once you find the right spots, like not even one in three.
... at best. It took me at least 20 shots to "find the right spot" and get lucky enough for it to work. And then I tried it about 5 more times for separate slow-motion footage (after I already "found the right spot"), and I didn't get it to work. At that point, I moved on the next shot.

For the PHJ time-kick-carom shot, I like to put the balls two diamonds from the side. It turns out that the aiming point on the far side rail (edge of the pocket liner as I recall) changes very little with ball positions. Adjust the aiming point to control the timing and the side spin on the cue ball to get the kick right. Using fast speed keeps the timing controlled and is more impressive.
Thanks for the tip. I'll give that a try.

Catch you later,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Which of the shots is(are) your favorite(s), and which do you think would be the most difficult for you to execute?

Enjoy,
Dave

shasta777

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dr Dave... Thanks.... :)

Those shots were great as always... I love the slow-motion as it shows exactly what is going on & I also like it when you show how to do it... makes it a lot of fun to try!!! Keep them coming...

My Favorite was: #5 shot... as it is NOT easy to do... + the results are pretty cool... reason: It is so close to the point in the corner... again this depends on table...

Last edited:

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good Dr. Dave love all these you compile for us ! I am afraid you give az way to much credit as a top 3 is more fitting to most azers attention span:grin-square:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Enjoy,
Dave

educational and entertaining
thanks dr dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dr Dave... Thanks.... :)
You're welcome.

Those shots were great as always... I love the slow-motion as it shows exactly what is going on & I also like it when you show how to do it... makes it a lot of fun to try!!! Keep them coming...
I need to do more of the slow motion stuff. People seem to like and benefit from it.

My Favorite was: #5 shot... as it is NOT easy to do... + the results are pretty cool... reason: It is so close to the point in the corner... again this depends on table...
I think that is one of the toughest shots I've ever filmed. The exact setup is so critical ... and lots of luck is involved.

Thanks for the comments,
Dave